Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:51 am

No worries, thanks anyway Richard. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Scoobys Dogmobile - Take 2!

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:52 pm

Dave - I forgot to mention it to you earlier today as I had other things on my mind. I can get you (or anyone else for that matter) 10% off the quote for a stainless system from the Ipswich branch of Longlife.

To those that have seen (and heard!) my 820 in person you can of course choose to fit a baffled system rather than the 2.5" straight through my 820 has.

Just a thought, for comparison pricing my 820 was £480 for a manifold back full system (no cat converter as I'm on LPG - though adding a cat converter is £45)

On that note would it be worthwhile to ask the guys for a group buy for 800 exhaust components? Especially late 820 Vitesse (200PS) front/down pipes?

Good quality aftermarket exhaust parts are getting difficult to find. As usual the "one size fits all" strategy of many parts suppliers is getting rather irritating!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks for the heads up on the discount Dusan, might well be worth having! I'm ok on the coupé and the Sterling for now (although the Sterling could probably do with a new front pipe) but the Volvo could well be in need of a bit of stainless steel surgery!

The 820 Vitesse front pipe is a definite i would think for stainless and the one size fits all is as you rightly say, increasingly irritating! The 827 needs a smaller bore than the T series for normal road use, strange though that seems. It's something i've noticed across many Honda models, the exhaust is a smaller bore than most similar cars that produce a similar amount of power. The Volvo for example, also a 90deg V6, 2849cc and 170bhp has a 2" system and 1 7/8" front pipes. Standard issue on the 827 is a 1 7/8" system and i can't remember the front pipe size without measuring but it's smaller than the Volvo by some obvious amount.

As a general comment, the quality of aftermarket parts is on the decline at the moment, no matter what vehicle they're for. For several months running now there have been comments in Practical Classics about the quality (or lack of!) of aftermarket parts. Irritating doesn't really come close to be honest!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Bit of a muddled update now, i found there was a manifold nut missing from the L/H bank exhaust manifold which turned out to be M7 x 1.0 (same as a Vespa cylinder head nut! :shock: ) so ordered some of those and after a recent bit of mobile vandalism by the Mr Magoo S.o.M. i needed to replace the drivers door mirror - all before the MoT!!! Here's what happened last week some time :

I fitted the M7 nut/washer and got the manifold tight, also found the manifold to downpipe flange nuts were slightly loose both sides so tightened those as well.

Rebuilt the mirror by unscrewing the broken mirror motor, fitting the motor from the replacement and then the glass from the replacement as well :

Replacement mirror motor plugged onto wiring and ready to fit

Fitted, mirror glass connected, ready to clip on

Job done! :D

Now it's pretty much ready for its test!

In a moment of rash madness (delirium caused by the blood poisoning from the infection causing the rash! ;) ) this morning i phoned up and booked the Volvo in for its annual inspection.

Emptied out all but a handful of tools that i could use to tweak any of the exhaust repairs if they had "settled" then set off across the Fens to the MoT station. Just over an hour later i had two bits of paper in my paws :

Apart from a verbal advise that there is a very slight blow from one of the service joints i fitted (i've found if the nuts aren't tightened perfectly evenly they don't quite go gas-tight) it was a clean-sheet pass. The emissions confirm how well it's running too!

All in all a happy bunny now! Still things to do when i feel better (another ATF part-change for a start) and fit the headlamp wipers and blades amongst other things but it's good to go for winter now. ;) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Dave, I'd be careful posting an unedited MOT cert online as it contains all sorts of useful information for the less-than-honest to use against you.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:12 pm

I'd never thought of that Tom! :shock: :roll:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:25 am

I had a bad experience with the XC90!
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:34 am

Good point - i forgot about that! I'll have to "edit" the pics somehow later. :wink: :D

Now winter seems to have arrived with a vengeance i'll have to get busy with the silicone spray on the door seals etc but at least i no longer need to worry about the MoT thankfully! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Congrats on your MoT pass with the Dogmobile. The emissions sheet seems to show that the engine and state of tune are spot on.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks Nick! :wink: :D

Technically it's running a smidge lean but there are no flat spots, it's smooth and picks up well so i'm going to leave well alone - if it ain't broke etc. The fact the HC levels are still so low even with a slightly lean mix on idle speaks volumes about the overall condition of the engine in my book. :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:51 pm

As you've all probably guessed i've not done a great deal since getting the MoT on the Dogmobile apart from a few minor jobs.

I've sourced a pair of second hand wiper arms for the headlight wipers, a pair of new blades from ebay, cleaned the headlamp jets out and refitted the wiper arms etc. The passenger side is a bit skew whiff but is working and the drivers side looks and works how it should.

There's an appreciable drop in pressure to the main washer jets now though so i may have to replace the washer pump. That's a post for another day though!

Meanwhile the rear wiper suddenly developed a strange fault. It would work fine on continuous but put it on intermittent and it would work if it thought it would. In other words, intermittent operation was extremely intermittent! :lol:

Eventually a pattern formed - it worked while the cabin was cold. As the intermittent relay is next to the heater matrix it was obviously heat-related. Sounds suspiciously familiar to anyone with fusebox problems!
Ordered a replacement on ebay from a 1999 V70 for the princely sum of £6 and some pence and today i levered the old one out with an array of screwdrivers and much swearing! Pushed the new one into place and tested, so far so good. Refitted the centre console side panel (removed for access to the relay board!) and brought the old one indoors to pull apart and see if i could see anything obvious.

It's a very old design of intermittent relay, not a PIC in sight! Not even a microchip of any form either, just some SMD mount discretes forming an old-fashioned multivibrator circuit and a relay for the output. What i'm fairly sure is the timing capacitor is mounted on one end of the board between the corners as can be seen here :

DIfficult to see on the bottom pin but on the pin in the upper corner, it's easy to see the solder isn't what it should be! I'll resolder it at some point and should then have a good working spare again. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Good to see an update on the Dogmobile Dave. Reminded me of a conversation I had with two women at work who used to arrive in a 740 estate. They complained that the windscreen wipers only worked in rainy weather. I could not see the problem until they explained that it took a half hour from switch on until the wipers actually moved. Must have made driving in rain difficult. Turned out that the wipers had a poor earth connection.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:30 pm

I can see how that problem happened Nick and also how it would be a problem! Quite comical in a way really! :lol:

Another minor update is that i've ordered a new washer pump for the front (which covers the screen and headlamps) which will hopefully restore the lost pressure. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:48 am

A lot of washer problems are caused by screenwash sediment clogging up the filters
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:53 pm

True enough - i've already treated it to a pint of white vinegar to clear the sediment though.

I've made several improvements and about the only thing left is a new pump. The mist jets are meant to use less water to clean the screen so as the headlamp jets are better then it seems logical it has to be the pump. I hope! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate