Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Post by CHR15E » Wed May 31, 2017 3:19 pm

All about power to weight IMO.

The 2.0 will always be working harder than a larger engine. In real terms I don't think this particular Mondeo engine is that far in front of a T series? If it were a MK4 Mondeo it would have a turbo engine in it and the economy would definitely be improved then.

I think it's possible it may improve a bit but I'd be very surprised if you see a big jump based on the figures I got from Autotrader.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:31 pm

I am not looking for a big jump in economy. Maybe I do too many short runs. I am sure that if the autobox fluid was as I suspect, aerated, then this is part of my answer. I do feel that a small improvement in economy is possible and worth the effort.

Today I had the air cleaner element out and it is past its best, very discolored, so it definitely needs to be replaced. Was planning to have the plugs out to check condition and gaps but something else cropped up, drive belt popped off the washing machine. Had to pull it out, drain the water, etc. Once that was done, I felt too worn out for anything else today.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:46 pm

If it's any help Nick, when i first got my Coupé the ATF was orange coloured (like baked bean juice! :shock: ) which turned out to be Honda Premium ATF - not quite right for the Honda PL5 box (never understood why they call it a PL5 when it's only a 4 speed but there) but unlike Dexron won't harm it. Best i got before the change was about 27mpg on a run on petrol.

Since the change i've seen 35-37mpg (also adjusting the handbrake cable better improved matters) on a run on petrol and as mentioned elsewhere am getting about 25mpg on LPG which with the conversion factor (~1.3) is roughly the same as about 33mpg on petrol.

Also since changing the ATF on the Volvo the economy has improved so now you've changed it on the Mondeo it should help at least. The air filter will be a definite improvement when you change it, if you have access to an OBD-II reader/reset tool, try resetting the fault codes.
This may cause a temporary increase in consumption until the ECU re-learns the ideal fuel trims but in conjunction with the air filter, plugs and new ATF should reap rewards.

Also have you any idea what condition your cat is in? If it's a bit blocked that will cause loss of power, increased fuel consumption and so on. A dose of Cataclean and an Italian decoke would probably help - look out for the cameras on the A31/A35 etc though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:25 am

I may have been a little too pessimistic regarding my fuel consumption figure. My revised estimate is 28 local and 36 for longer journeys. This is based on the fact that I always fill with the same amount of petrol at the same station. When I took over the car I filled it to half on the gauge, which seems to be prone to exaggerated swings. The gauge has gradually come up to between half and 3/4 full, so it is doing somewhat better than I thought. I always fill up to a half or better with all my cars as the petrol has a cooling effect on the pump. ( assuming the Mondeo pump is immersed)

I go down a longish hill into my home town and I always click the switch to disable the fourth gear overdrive. I noticed today that I had more engine braking in third gear than previously. This must be down to the partial fluid change that I did. Before this, I had to go down to second gear to get the same effect. I checked the ATF level when I got home and it is right on the mark. Not where it says, " Do not add in this area" It is only a bit higher when the car is cold, I supposes because fluid will drain from the servos.

I am planning a long camping trip in the next month or two and I am now as confident as I can be that the car will make the journey with no problems. May even get to Top Gun. Thanks Dave.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:40 pm

You're welcome Nick - it would probably pay to do another fluid part-change before your trip once it's got some miles on this fluid and cleaned things out a bit and revived the seals a bit more. Then it should be nearly all fresh fluid after that change and possibly another after the trip to be on the safe side then just do one part change a year to maintain it as nice, clean and sweet running.

Glad your economy isn't as bad as you thought too - if it stretches to reaching here then feel free to drop in for a coffee/tea and a chat about Rovers and/or cars in general! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:24 am

I have just returned home after a 550 mile round trip in my Mondeo. What did show up on this trip is that the inbuilt computer info system is way out. On arrival, it showed a mileage of 204 miles covered and I know from having done this trip many times over the past thirty years that I covered at least 250 miles. It also told me that my fuel consumption was 29.7 MPG. Manual calculations show that my actual consumption was 42. I was pleased with that as there was quite a bit of stop/start traffic.

The trip home was slightly worse, as I was stuck for an hour in London traffic and stop/start traffic all the way to Reading Services on the M4. Six and a bit hours to get there and 9 hours to get home. Consumption was 37MPG. So overall, I think the Mondeo fuel consumption is reasonable for a 2 litre automatic car. I was certainly glad to be driving an Automatic.

The only faults to show up was that the windscreen washers stopped working and a number plate bulb was out. The washers may be down to a fuse and the bulb may just be a dirty contact. The car used no oil or water on very hot days and always started first turn on the key.

When I first got this car, it had a lot of problems that I did not foresee, but now those problems are sorted, it looks to be a very good car. The mileage shown is 168k but it could be more due to it undereading . But the way the engine runs, it seems like it is only just about run in.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

That's not bad economy Nick, even at the cars reckoning but better with your calculation. A good way of verifying the exact mileage would be to use Gaggle Mops :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.41342 ... ,14z?hl=en

It should give you 2 or 3 alternative routes and if any of them are way out of how you went, you can "click and drag" a point on the route to bring it to where you actually drove.

When's your camping trip coming up by the way? That will give you another chance to test the economy and see if another ATF change improves it any.

Out of curiosity, what economy did the car think you were getting on the return journey?

The screenwashers - front and back or just front? Do the wipers still work? If the wipers still work then it's not the fuse as they're on the same circuit.

Could be a build up of limescale in the reservoir, defective non-return valve, blocked jets or even dare i say it, out of fluid! :shock: It could also be the washer pump has given up the ghost, should be fairly readily available for the Mondeo. However if you can hear the pump operating then it's almost certainly a blockage, easy way to find it is pull hoses off working either from the pump to the washers or from washers to pump one joint at a time and refitting until you find the point where water no longer comes out when the switch is operated.

If it's the pump this is the best price i found on fleabay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Windscr ... Swl-FXNGrE

You might find cheaper from abroad (eg China :roll: ) but these are the UK items :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Washer-Pumps ... _PrefLoc=1

There are the various other parts you may need like non-return valves, washer jets and so on.

If you find a lot of limescale in the washer bottle and/or pipework, add a pint of white vinegar to the washer bottle. Temporarily re-route the furthest possible pipe back into the washer bottle neck and operate the washers - this will mix the vinegar in and start the "flushing" process of the limescale. For the sake of 50p every few months i add a pint of white vinegar to mine every so ften and also use it for descaling my kettle - works wonders! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Random thought on mileage/distance covered. What size wheels and tyres are on your car?

I'm off to Devon in two weeks so I'll do a manual check and see how that compares to the computer in mine out of curiosity.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Good point Chris - if it has bigger wheels/tyres than it should have it will think it's only done 200 miles when it's really done something like 240.

Using an app for a GPS speedo will show this problem up fairly quickly if it is a speedo error. It could also be it's had a different gearbox with a lower final drive ratio so the car is computing things as if it still has the right one.

Another thing that i found when i had a car with a trip computer, if you fill the tank then zero the trip computer later, sometimes it will still go from a full tank - maybe mine was faulty but if that has happened then it would give a false reading.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks gentlemen, some things there to chew on.

My tire size is 205/55 16 alloys so standard wheels and tires for this car. As far as I know the diff is the same as fitted at the factory. 70mph shows 2500 revs on the counter in the overdrive top gear. I have noticed that once in top gear, it takes a fair press on the pedal to get it to kick down, I think this is by design and helps with economy. Without using the kick down, progress I would describe as leisurely. This does not bother me but I can see why it would irritate "press on " drivers.

From what Dave says, it could be that the washer pump has failed or a bad connection or a blockage in the pipes. The wipers work OK, just no water when I press the stalk. The car reported 27mpg for the return trip. So I think it under reads by around 25%.. I did notice when I first had the car that I seemed to be going faster than the speed reported, the counter took a few seconds to catch up. The speed drive gear sensor is in the diff. That;s a good tip to put some white vinegar in the washer reservoir, I will try that.

The dials use red pointers on a white background and I find them hard to read in daylight. So I am planning to take the glass off and paint the needles white. Not so hard to read when the lights are on.

My camping trip is in two weeks and I hope Chris does not expect to get here fast, it is already quite busy with holiday traffic. (More expensive to go abroad this year. Thanks Teresa) My advice would be to leave early or travel late in the day if you can.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Is this what you mean by red needles and a white back ground Nick?

That's the standard Mondeo instruments, if you've got "white dials" that might make it harder to see the needle?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Dave, that picture is my exact same dash so full marks. My problem may be that I have Red and Green color perception difficulties. I will see a white needle on a dark background much easier. Does not matter that the MPH numbers are also white.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 pm

The needles are lit at night, won't the paint make them unreadable at night?
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:40 pm

zcar12 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:52 pm
Dave, that picture is my exact same dash so full marks. My problem may be that I have Red and Green color perception difficulties. I will see a white needle on a dark background much easier. Does not matter that the MPH numbers are also white.
Oh dear! I hope you weren't an electrician or electronics tech/eng Nick! Have a look at this on Wikipedia which has a simple test in it :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

I'll tell you what i saw on the test once you've had a look.

I can see the problem you have with Mondeo instruments and why now, when you first described your instruments i thought someone had fitted a white dial kit to yours. Normally i wouldn't suggest this but perhaps fitting a set might improve things for you? Like Chris points out, panting the needles will prevent them being seen at night as they're designed to light up and from what i remember it looks pretty effective.

This is what i mean by a white dial kit :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-M ... v9vQ9kz0YQ

Alternatively there is a blue or white LED bulb kit available which increases the contrast but obviously only when the lights are on! ;) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Be VERY careful changing the bulbs if that's the way you decide to go. I read the LCDs in the cluster do not like to facing any direction other than up.
Chris