Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Post by zcar12 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Ob the plus side, my Haynes manual popped up where least expected. Two months back, the wife had a big clear up. That is deadly because you never find things after that as every fool knows.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I'd give the cut off inertia switch a few good taps until it triggers Nick then reset it. That's what i was on about the third state for - it hasn't triggered (so appears to not need resetting) but isn't passing enough current for the fuel pumps to run. I've had it on several cars, some more than once!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:20 pm

At 4 PM. I went out to the car after viewing some YouTube videos. In a video I came across, a mans car had all the symptoms of a dead fuel pump. After charging the battery, it came back to life. Tried starting my car and it fired up straight away after leaving the battery on charge for 5 hours. My only explanation for this strange occurrence is that my battery was less than optimally charged and may well be on its way out. I will leave it on charge overnight.

If my fuel pump is the one from the factory, then at 170k miles, it must be quite tired, like my old washer pump motor. I may change it for a new one shortly.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:45 pm

There be some weird gremlins about them there parts where you live Nick! :shock:

Glad it seems sorted now anyway! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Been puzzling about those gremlins all evening Dave. Cant imagine that my 820 would ever behave like that as it has a much simpler construction. I did try flooring the accelerator on the third try in case I had flooded the engine after 2 aborted starts. Like my high idle problem with the Rover, I may never know the true cause of it all. When I released the petrol cap, there was a very high vacuum in the tank so I wonder if that could have been part of my problem.

Once the engine started, it ran perfectly even, was very smooth and quiet. I left the engine running while I replaced the rubber fuel pump cover and I was impressed that there was so little vibration through the car body. My friend, also an engineer, recommended me to try a petrol Mondeo. Now that I have had one, I can appreciate how well the engineers have executed the design brief, although I wish they had paid more attention to ease of maintenance.

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:08 pm

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:50 pm

If he sounded somewhere approaching sober i might give him more credance Nick. :lol:

Joking aside he seems to have the same problem as you did and i've had a bit of a think and reckon it's probably a bad connection somewhere or, more likely, general wear/burning on the commutator in the pump motor.

When left alone for a day or three, the commutator and brushes stick whether by condensation, dust, dirt or whatever or just simply because they are two highly polished surfaces that match exactly and they literally stick together because they fit so well. There is a name for this that i can't remember but i'm sure you've come across it. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:22 pm

Cant say that I noticed that he seemed a bit Brahms and Liszt Dave but now you mention it.

Reckon you are on to something with the commutator and brushes sticking, this may well be what happened. I charged the battery for two days and the cells gassed strongly but I may find a garage to give it a discharge test, it may be on its way out. I am putting the car up for sale next month so I dont want to spend out on it if I can avoid it. Its a great car to drive but I only really need the one car. I prefer the Rover as it is simpler for me to maintain. The Mondeo is a much better designed car, much quieter inside and it just glides over a rough road service. I shall miss it but needs must.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am

Couple of ideas on the battery for you Nick :

https://carbatteries-online.co.uk/brand ... 0-present/

They have a sale on at the moment so the prices are discounted a bit. Another option if their sale ends before you buy a battery :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COSMETIC-075- ... SwPoJZ33Il

That's the standard fit for the 2.0 petrol Mondeo 2001, the diesel battery (which would be an upgrade) is a type 100 or 096 - virtually identical in every respect except the number and i just bought one of these for my Sterling :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COSMETIC-096- ... 2749.l2649

Seems to be the most cost-effective option for you if you have to change the battery and a selling point that you've fitted an upgraded/uprated battery.

In my experience manufacturers tend to fit the smallest battery that will do the job, various reasons - weight for one to improve economy but usually cost. For example, the 800 petrol models all have an 027 battery as standard. That means the 2.7 V6 engines have to make do with a battery that is more suited to a 1.6/1.8 but will happily turn over a 2.0 for some considerable time. However as things get older and drag more current to work, a bigger battery is needed so the 2.7s will show this up first - that's why i fitted the 096 battery to mine as it's the same as fitted to 800 diesels, much more cranking power and reserve for cold mornings.

If you are going to renew the battery before selling, i'd say do it sooner rather than later to give the ECU time to relearn how the engine and gearbox work best. Saves having to explain a lumpy idle for example! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 am

Just noticed Nick the "Cosmetic 096 battery" i bought is now showing a price of £52.99 :shock: which is a lot more than the £39.50 i paid for mine, didn't intend to give duff advice re the price so double check what the prices are before you hit any "Buy it Now" buttons! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks for the links Dave, those prices look quite reasonable to me. I always go for a battery that has lots of cold cranking amps (CCA) My last battery for the Rover was a Lion brand with 560 CCA. The book recommends 480 CCA so I am on the safe side. Looked it up and it came from a factory in Korea, where that one factory makes 11 million batteries a year, and exported all over the world and sold under different brand names at different prices. Lots of room to ring the changes there LOL.

I cant see that having a new battery on the Mondeo will have much effect at all on the sale price. What seems to put people off is the Road tax. Was £270 when I bought it. (Now gone up to £305 for 12 months) At my end of the market, people just want something cheap with a bit of test left.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:37 pm

A new battery won't increase the selling price Nick, you're right but it will be a selling point in as much as it's something the prospective purchaser won't need to worry about, leaving them spare money to pay the extra fiver a month on road tax.
The three things people most expect to go on a secondhand car in the first few months/year are tyres, battery and exhaust.

If you can eliminate at least one of those it improves the saleability of the car.

Eliminate 2 or more of those things and you've got a higher chance of selling than another similar car, even if the road tax is cheaper - people can budget for an extra fiver a month for the road tax, they won't want to budget for maybe tyres, exhaust and a battery as well, especially just before xmas.

I'm guessing the tyres are pretty good (think you had 2 new ones for the MoT last year and not done many miles?) and the exhaust is probably ok, if it goes through the MoT without a problem then it's got a years test, good tyres, exhaust and a new battery.

Thinking back to when i had to run "something with a bit of T&T", i know i would rather have gone for something with higher road tax and better mechanicals than something a bit "vulnerable" with cheap tax.

Simple fact is i wouldn't mention the tax unless asked and then i'd point out that with the mechanicals all sorted, it's easier to budget for an extra fiver a month road tax than unexpected repairs on those three main things and any car has to be taxed and it can be paid for monthly by Direct Debit so doesn't have to be found in one lump.

In simple terms you're telling the prospective buyers what they want to hear (even if they don't know it) and once they've heard that they'll be happy and (hopefully) bite your hand off for the car. Not literally of course but you get the idea! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:23 am

zcar12 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:22 pm
I am putting the car up for sale next month so I dont want to spend out on it if I can avoid it. Its a great car to drive but I only really need the one car. I prefer the Rover as it is simpler for me to maintain. The Mondeo is a much better designed car, much quieter inside and it just glides over a rough road service. I shall miss it but needs must.
Personally I'd sell the 800, or sell both and look for a newer/lower mileage Mondeo if you like yours. The other way to look at it is the more you sort on yours the less it will need later on.

Mine has had it's fair share of issues but the electrics haven't given me any trouble so far. I've threatened to sell it several times but I've spent too much now so I'll just keep it till it dies.

Battery wise, I think mine is running a 110, from memory the CCA is something daft like 800.

Not sure yours is the same as mine but mine has a smart charge system in it and needs certain battery type, calcium I think? You can use regular car batteries but I read they don't like them. I wonder what's in yours now?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 am

Might be wrong Chris but i think Nicks idea is to hang on to his 800 as it's easier to maintain than the Mondeo? If so, selling both cars and buying a newer Mondeo isn't going to help him.

As for the 110 battery, it's a bit bigger than the 100 which in most respects is just a redesignated 096 (been searching to find the detail differences and can't!) but if memory serves correctly, the 100 was originally designed as a calcium battery for the "Smart-Charge" system you describe.
You're right about using a normal lead acid battery on a car with a smart-charge, they don't like it much. The opposite is also true, cars designed for a lead acid battery don't like calcium batteries and often don't charge them properly.

It's a long time ago since i learned about calcium batteries and to be honest, i've deliberately forgotten most of what i learned but something in the back of my mind says the charging voltage can go as high as 16.5V but i think this was only in short bursts and at high frequency to aid desulphation. Lead acid batteries aren't designed for this and in simple terms, will be overcharged.

There's a lot to be said for not over-complicating things and while the 800 isn't the simplest car on the planet, compared to almost (if not) all the current cars out there, is very much simpler. For example, 20-30 years ago many interior light delay units were based on a simple 555 timer IC (Integrated Circuit aka "chip") with a few passive components (resistors, capacitors) to set the time delay. Now most of them are made using a PIC chip which needs to be programmed to function. I used to know what PIC stood for but firstly i've probably forgotten and secondly i'm pretty sure it changed at some point, Programmable Interface Controller is what rings a bell for me but whether that's right or wrong these days i don't know.
Likewise intermittent wiper delays were once also based on the 555 timer, again they are now under PIC control or in the 800s case, controlled by the CCU. I've never opened a CCU up to see what's inside, i have one in the garage that has lost its sound and i keep threatening to fix it as a spare for my Sterling (it's one of the rare ones without programmed wash/wipe) but to be honest, i've chickened out so far.

With things like that in mind i can certainly relate to Nicks thinking of keeping it simple! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 am
Might be wrong Chris but i think Nicks idea is to hang on to his 800 as it's easier to maintain than the Mondeo? If so, selling both cars and buying a newer Mondeo isn't going to help him.
I get that, what I was getting at is that once things have been fixed they won't want fixing again. Plus with a newer possibly lower mileage car they may not need doing at all for a long time.

Going back to mine aside mechanical things and maybe the rear wiper motor mine has needed no electrical work at all. Yes it's more complicated but it breaks less if ever, does that matter?

Obviously cost is a factor. For me I wouldn't sacrifice what I thought was a better car, whatever that car may be.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold