The other Lodein's cars

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The other Lodein's cars

Post by mercedade » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:56 am

Fantastic looking SL, in a really nice high-class colour. You have a great collection of cars.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lodein » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:43 am

Thank you very much Mercedade

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:13 pm

Here is the presentation of my 4th pleasure car.
You will tell me why a 4th car and it is very simple, as I said, I bought the Daimler to do the tourist rally du circuit des remparts d'Angoulême, and if this rally is really very good (I would surely do a post on it but a little later ...) it's just a nice ride. And I, a former co-driver and a rally driver when I was younger in the Coupe Peugeot 106 Terre, wanted a little more. I knew a bit about regularity rallies (I ll make a post on this subject later...) and I thought it would be perfect as a challenge for a measured cost and not too demanding with the car. So I take my eldest son as a co-driver with the Daimler as you need a car that is at least 25 years old for the rallies I wanted to do.

Clearly although the Daimler behaved well, it was not the ideal car and above all I damaged it way too much. Moreover, it was after the 2 rallies that I did with that I had to change all the silentblocs / ball joints / bearings that had suffered. I also had to redo my sills which had been almost sanded in places !!!

In short, regularity rallies appealed to me and my son, but we had to find another more suitable car. Namely a powerful car because it is necessary from time to time to drive quickly, reliable, solid and of course not too expensive.

After going around and considering an Alfa Romeo Spider because my wife loved it (Fortunately I didn't buy a Spider because I would have destroyed it or I should have bought another car again !!!) an Alfa Romeo GTV6 that I loved a lot but that did not please the family and especially in a slightly high budget. My short list quickly summed up to the VW Sirocco GLI equipped with the 1800 of the Golf GTI (A Golf GTI was too expensive) and the Audi Coupé GT 2200. My little brother went to try both, because the cars that could interest me were close to his home (A nearly 2 hours for one anyway, but what can't we do for the family !!!). And its verdict was clear, The Audi was better because it was more efficient, more comfortable, in better condition, maintained by an enthusiast and less expensive !!! So I bought this Audi Coupe GT 2200 without seeing it or even trying one !!!, but I have always been a fan of the Audi Quattro which made me dream when I was younger.

This car was in perfect mechanical condition, new spring and shock absorbers, new clutch, new tires, regular maintenance, plus various new parts. There was only the distribution to do but the parts were provided !!! Its only flaws were a badly redone paint on the rear right wing, the front right wing, very badly redone on the left front door, the fabric of the driver's seat in the process of being drilled and the sides of the backrest of the driver's seat redone with black skai.
Coming back to the car, it is from early 1985 and was just under 200,000 km (124,500 miles) when I got it in February 2012. It has now nearly 222,000 km (138,000 miles) which makes that I did a little over 22,000 km (13,700 miles) with, but I didn't drive a lot with it since 3 years. I of course changed the distribution, made the revisions every year, I replaced the pads which were new by “racing” pads, replaced the air filter with a sport air filter, made an intake of forced air, put a stainless steel silencer and replaced the driver seat. I didn't have much of a problem with it although it gave me three or four whims but never really immobilizing it.

Initially my son liked it less than the Daimler of course, but since it was much better suited for regularity rallies and we had great results with it, he now enjoys it almost as much. In any case we have a passion activity in common in which we have fun.
For my part, the only flaw I find in it is the difficulty in finding parts, indeed while it is easy to find parts for the Golf, it is very difficult to find for the Audi. Otherwise with 136 HP for 1060 kg the car is running hard and the sound of the 5 cylinders sublimated by the stainless steel silencer is really captivating.

Since 3 years, my eldest son is in higher study, so we stopped regularity rallies (My second son did'nt want to try). So I change the suspension with shorter spring and harder shock absorbers and I put some slick tires to drive on circuit, but this car is not very good for that because of its front wheels drive and front overhang engine, and it is not pleasant on the road, so I didn’t used it a lot now...

Somes pictures of the car :

You can see on this 3 pictures the road we used

This is a picture after the changing of the suspension

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Very nice - from a time when Audi still made proper cars! I had a 1985/6 Audi 100CD5E wih the same engine for a while but an auto box. Very nice car but being the saloon, wouldn't have lent itself to rallying!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:34 pm

My next pleasure car is again an English car.

It arrived in march 2016, but I had the same car between jully 2011 and december 2013 (After 20000 km - 12500 miles), and it is a Jaguar X350 XJ8 4.2.l

When I bought the first one it was to replace a Volvo S80 D5 185 Ch Momentum (A very good car), but after 2 years and half I had a company car (A Skoda Octavia 2.0 Tdi, which is not so bad, but not in the same register), so I sold it, but clearly it missed me and it missed to my sons even the younger who doesn't like cars !!!

So I bought this model, a MY2004 with less than 100000 km (62000 miles) in the same color inside and outside than the other !!!
It has now a little more than 146000 km (90750 miles) and I traveled with it in Germany, England, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, czech republic and in all the 5 corners of the France...

I love this car because I like the design inside and outside wich looks as an Jaguar XJ, it is very fast (300 hp for only 1615 kg because the body is in aluminium) very efficient (with its very good automatic 6 speed gearbox and the low weight, I consume only 10l/100km driving quickly - over the speed limit :oops: ) and it is very comfortable with its piloted air suspension CATS, and it is very quiet. Clearly I don't find any default to this car, because I forget the reliability is very good and the used price is not important.

Some pictures of the first one (which had a leaper)

The actual
In the Alpes in Germany

In England
At Bovington

At New Forest

At Portsmouth

At Oxford with a XJ X351

At Bourton on the water

At Chelsea in a B&B

In Italy
At florence on the Piazzale Michelangelo

At Maranello

In Luxembourg with the Moselle

In France
Moyenne Corniche Cote d'Azur (Near Nice)

Reims

Saumur

The inside

The motor

To show you, that it goes fast (On Germany motorway, with no speed limit)

Lodein
Last edited by Lodein on Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 am

My last pleasure car (For the moment ???) whith is not really a "dream" car..
II bought it only because it is in a very good condition with a perfect maintenance and to save it from the destruction

It is the car of an old neighbor who changes it for a new one, and the garage gave her little to destroy it (it is within the framework of the governmental ecological aid) and as said it is in good condition with a perfect maintenance and that it is a good version (High version with air conditionning whith works, petrol engine with enouth power, 3 doors more exclusiv) so I couldn't not buy it.

The car is therefore a Golf III 1.8 90 CV CL 3-door with the air conditioning option. It arrived in April 1999 .It is from June 1996 and with only 148,526 km (92,300 miles). Clearly, I'm not a fan of the Golf and especially the Golf III, but I love my car, I'm sentimental !!!

Some pictures :

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:51 am

My cars are not parked in the same place so I have only pictures with all my cars from October 2016 (so with a BMW Z3 I sold and without the Rover and the Golf).

As you can see I speak a lot (too much !!!) about my cars, and I hope that my English was not so bad to be read with pleasure

Lodein
Last edited by Lodein on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:30 am

Nice lot of pictures and words there! You obviously have a serious passion for your cars too! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks Scoobyh123.

Yes I love my cars and all the things about it.

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:45 am

I took my Daimler to work last month and when I came back the light was beautiful so I took some pictures...

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 am

Last saturday morning to go to work, I left earlier to take the small roads and make singing the 5 cylinders in the Charente countryside. As the light was nice, I took pictures :oops:

Don't worry I also take the Rover to go to work, but either I leave too early or I come home too late to be able to take pictures...

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 am

Very nice! I like seeing the Daimler as it reminds me of my S3 Jag Sovereign 4.2 :

Not got many pics of it and that's probably the best one. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 pm

What year is this beautiful Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 from ? and how many miles when you bought it and sold it ?

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm

I can't remember the mileage i'm afraid, that was just after quite a long restoration process in about 2002. The car was a 1983 car and the sills among other parts had rotted quite badly.

I traded it in about a year later for my XJ40.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:47 pm

The biggest problem for the XJ Series is the rust.

I Love the XJ40 and if I had more place (And money) I will buy a Daimler Double Six XJ81

Do you have some pictures of your XJ40

Lodein