The other Lodein's cars

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The other Lodein's cars

Post by Lodein » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:30 pm

Like I said, I'm lucky to have other pleasure cars, but non Rover.

So I'll show you my other pleasure cars and talk about it a little

I will present them in order of arrival at the house :

The first was a Peugeot 406 Coupé V6 Pack which arrived in the middle of 2004.
This car is special for me because I bought it new for my father while I was working at PSA Peugeot Citroën. It is therefore a family car. My father drove a lot and she arrived home with just over 200,000 km (~124000 miles), in perfect condition and of course with clear and rigorous monitoring.
When he ordered it in yellow, I did everything to get him to change the color, but even though I made him doubt, he resisted. And as much when it was new I was not a fan of this color, now that it is a "Youngtimer" I am delighted that he took it of this color
The car is from november of 1998 and had know more than 235000 km (~146000 miles)

Somes pictures :

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: The other Lodein's cars

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:26 pm

I see you also have a passion for more than one brand of 90 degree V6 engines!

I think the 406 Pininfarina Coupe is the best looking car Peugeot ever made but i'm not sure about that yellow! It's what you could call bright! 8)
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 am

I have always liked the shape of the Peugeot coupe. Colour looks good too. I currently have a 3008 as my work car, this is a nice car.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:58 am

I do agree with Dave and Simon. The Pug Coup is really nice! It actually feels a bit like the 800 coupe, a different car from the regular saloon or estate/fastback.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 am

That is a stunning example.

Yellow, especially a yellow that tint will highlight pretty much any floor in the bodywork, or contamination on on the surface.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:20 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:26 pm
No and Yes...

The V6 of the 406 Coupé is a 60° degree V6 (It is the ES9J4 and not the PRV which is a 90 degree V6)

But I had a another 90 degree V6, one of the best V6 engine I had (I ll speak about the différent motors I have and had after), the V6 3.2 JTS Alfa Romeo (A Holden motors with Alfa Romeo sauce) Clearly, it is not the V6 Busso (Or Arese) but it was a very good motors.

Some pictures of my old Alfa Romeo 159 SW 3.2 JTS Q4

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Lodein wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:20 pm
scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:26 pm
No and Yes...

The V6 of the 406 Coupé is a 60° degree V6 (It is the ES9J4 and not the PRV which is a 90 degree V6)

But I had a another 90 degree V6, one of the best V6 engine I had (I ll speak about the différent motors I have and had after), the V6 3.2 JTS Alfa Romeo (A Holden motors with Alfa Romeo sauce) Clearly, it is not the V6 Busso (Or Arese) but it was a very good motors.

Lodein
I wondered if it was the later PSA V6 but thought they still had the PRV V6 with 24v heads in 1998, i know they changed around that time to the later engine so yours must be the later one.

I know Alfa used the PRV V6 for racing, i wonder how closely related the 3.2 Holden motor was to that?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:49 pm

The V6 3.2 Holden has no link with the V6 PRV.

I saw in your signature that you have a Volvo 760 with a V6 PRV, it's a good engine
One of my uncles worked at PRV as a technical manager, and I did a few internships at PRV in Douvrin when I was a student engineer.
I've driven quite a few different PRV V6s (The 3.0l 12 valves 170 HP, the 2.5l Turbo 182 HP and 205 HP, the 3.0l 24 valves 200 HP and an experimental 3.0l turbo 250 HP) The one I prefer is the 3.0 l 24 valves, and if I find a nice Peugeot 605 mk1 with this engine I will fall for it

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:53 pm

I now present to you the second pleasure car that has arrived at home, an it is English’s car... :
a Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas

I bought this car in June 2011 with 40,500 km on the odometer (But it is a 5 digit odometer, so 40,500, 140,500, 240,500 ...), but I will tell you why and how.

In Angoulême, where I live, there is "Le Circuit des remparts" every year and if Sunday is devoted to races (on an urban circuit which has not changed since 1939) on Saturday a tourist rally takes place which brings together at minus 300 cars for the official rally plus at least 300 for an unofficial rally. In September 2010 we left with my eldest son in the 406 coupe to see this rally, then after looking at the cars for more than an hour, we followed them and we took advantage of the enthusiasm of the Charentais for this rally. Clearly, you have to live this atmosphere to believe it, and then my son says to me, you know daddy it would be good if we participated. I was surprised because my children were not fans of cars, for them the 406 coupe was the yellow car without knowing either the make or the model !!! I replied: "yes one day ..."

In February 2011, my son's 12-year-old girlfriend died suddenly from an illness, which of course left him very sad. I remembered what he told me during the rally du circuit des remparts and I said to myself that it was a great project to move on to something other than buying a car to participate.

The only rule was to have a car that was at least 30 years old (in fact there are plenty of deviations from this rule, but hey ...). I'm a fan of over 100/200/300... cars, but as it was a join project, I asked him which car he would like, and I was very surprised when he told me a Jaguar.
He had never told me about his attraction to Jaguar before. I could have had worse isn't it !!! Considering my budget, I couldn't buy an E-Type or an MK2, so my choice fell on an XJ-S V12, pretty, racy, efficient and above all with the noblest of engines which is a V12 .
Buying a 30-year-old car, in particular a Jaguar, is complicated because between rusty cars, without traceable maintenance, with aesthetic problems or worse mechanics, it is a real way of the cross. After seeing several XJ-S V12 without finding my happiness, my father-in-law tells me about a friend's XJ V12. I will see this car and there it was the revelation:
1 / I will not take this car which has too many costs to restart it
2/ I want an XJ V12. It has the same qualities as the XJ-S but in addition I like its line even more and it is more practical with its 5 real seats.

The search for the Holy Grail was difficult because we found the same issues as with the XJ-S. Fortunately, I was able to count on my parents and my brother to see cars for me in the Paris and Lyon region. Besides, my parents, by dint of trying Jaguars, fell in love with them and bought a Jaguar XJ-S 3.6l !!! Anyway, back to Daimler !!!

Near the depression following unsuccessful searches, a car draws my attention near Lyon. Admittedly it has no traceable follow-up, has just been partly redone because the engine has caught fire, but I feel in its owner the passion and a good reason to sell it (no more garage following a real estate sale ). Also in photos it is superb, no rust, a nickel interior and in addition it is not a vulgar Jaguar XJ12 but a Daimler Double six Vanden Plas !!!. My brother’s test confirms the quality of the car and therefore I buy this car without actually seeing it !!! Here is the history of the purchase of this car.

The car is from mid 1982 with 140,500 km (87321 miles) (Thanks to the various technical controls that can be obtained, I was able to trace its history) .
The “Jaguar XJ 12” was marketed in 1982 in 3 versions: the Jaguar XJ12, the Daimler Double Six and the best the Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas. Note: At that time Daimler was still a brand apart and not a Jaguar finish as in the 1990s.
It is richly equipped since in addition to an excellent quality Connolly leather interior, it has electric windows, sunroof and power mirrors. Even the seats have electric height adjustment. It also has automatic air conditioning, cruise control ... The great luxury for a 1982 car.

The mechanics are not to be outdone because this is the 5.3 l V12 fitted to the E-Type but which, with the help of injection and specific cylinder heads, develops 295 DIN HP and 44 mkg of torque. Admittedly, its automatic gearbox is only 3 gears, but there was no other at the time capable of passing this important torque.

My Daimler has just over 160,000 km today and I ride it very regularly. I had a few small immobilizing breakdowns (Battery, fuel pump, inertia switch) but also other less annoying (rust in one tank, tank reversing solenoid valve ...). It is an Englishwoman of more than 30 years !!!
I have of course made a lot of expenses above with the replacement of all the silent block, ball joints, some bearings, brake, shock absorbers (6 !!!), tires, treated some rust and repaint some parts... and if there is still some little work, today it works perfectly in incredible comfort .

Sorry for this long prose, make way for photos

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:12 pm

That is one seriously beautiful Series III!!! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:20 pm

That is an absolutely fabulous Double Six. I love it!
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:09 am

Thank you very much Scoobyh123 and Mercedade

Lodein

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:40 am

Oh I love the Daimlers, much more than the Jags really. I too have a lost dream of having an XJ-S but I would prefer the later 4.0 with the new shape quarter lights, rear windows. But I ended up with an 800 coupe instead! :D
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:38 am

Thank you Manalishi.

I prefer the design of the XJ-S mk1 now, because when the new XJS (without a - :wink: ) arrived, I prefered this one, more modern, but now I prefer the initial design.

I drove my dad's XJ-S 3.6l a lot (over 2000 miles, in different conditions) and it's a really good car, I might talk about it but not yet, I still have a lot much to say about my cars and my Rover 827 Sterling. As you can see, I talk a lot, maybe too much*, but ...

* I hope you can understand my english, and it is not to difficult to read

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:09 am

Here is the presentation of my 3rd pleasure car, the Mercedes SL 320 which arrived at the end of 2011 with 107,500 km (66800 miles).

I had absolutely no plans to buy a pleasure car, but the father, a mechanic by trade, a cousin of a good friend had just passed away, and he had about 15 cars for sale including this SL. He told me about it, but not being interested at the time, I did not follow up, but when I was relaunched 2 months later, I thought why not. Indeed, I did not have a convertible even though the weather is nice here 300 days out of 365 (Well, that's not really true, but the weather is still often fine !!!) and above all I have always loved the Mercedes SL R129 (It's its little name at Mercedes). It’s one of the last Mercedes that I like. In addition, it was superb in midnight blue cream interior, which is more in 4-seater version and with a 6-cylinder in-line 3.2l quite powerful but less expensive in maintenance and running costs than the V8 5l. Anyway, I fell in love and bought this car.
But as often the "friend cars" are seldom the best !!!. I knew there was a few odd jobs to do but nothing really important, and I brought him back from the Paris area without a problem. But looking closely there were lots of little things, then bigger things and once you started the work, you have to go all the way or you risk "losing everything". So on this car in addition to a big maintenance, I had to change the cylinder head cover gasket, the chain tensioners, redo the ignition harness, various hoses, change a certain number of silentblock, two / three covers plastics, paint 3 rims... but this is became complicated when we attacked the braking system, there we fell from problems to problems and almost everything was changed (Hoses, callipers, master cylinder , ABS / ASR box ...) Then it is the air conditioning which made its own and the condenser and the variable ventilation resistor were changed (For that it is necessary to remove the dashboard !!!). Then I had an engine problem (?) Which immobilized it for more than 3 months at the Mercedes dealership after being seen by a small garage. The car regularly did not want to take more than 5500 rpm and then it would go away as it came. The dealership couldn't find anything and returned it to me but miraculously this problem has never happened again since ???. I also had to replace 2 or 3 sensors allowing the correct functioning of the convertible top / roll bar. But now it's good.
I drove a little more than 14,000 km (8700 miles) with this car since it has now a little less than 122,000 km (75800 miles) and I drive it now that it is reliable very regularly with great pleasure. This car is really pleasant, quite powerful with its 231 HP and its 5-speed automatic gearbox even if it weighs almost 1T8. At the beginning when my children were small, we were even able to go for a ride at 4, but now with their 1m85 and 1m80 it is no longer possible because the rear seats are small but they have the merit of existing. It also has 2 very distinct cars, convertible and coupe when the hard top is on. Certainly, to switch from one to the other you need to be 2 and have room to store the hard top, but with the hard top, it is really quiet.
The car is not in a very beautiful condition for me (Some scratches on the body, the Mercedes sign without the "chrome", a little point of rust near the antenna, the rear window a little opaque, some, deformation on the woodwork and on the dashboard...) but is not so bad

Somes pictures :

2 pictures to show you that "old" german car can drive !!!

Lodein