The other Lodein's cars

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: The other Lodein's cars

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:23 pm

Whether it is a Jaguar or a Daimler, over here it's viewed as "a big old Jag" regardless by most people. That's the problem.
That situation wasn't helped by Jaguar themselves adultering the Jaguar models with the Sovereign trim level which had opreviously been a Daimler-only thing. Both my Series III and XJ40 were Jaguar Sovereigns, the Series III being one of the first to have the Sovereign badge.

However, on the Jaguar forum i'm on, someone is in fact restoring an X351 that is probably as rough or maybe a bit worse than what i could make out in the pics you added.

I suppose they view it as a long-term thing and it will be worth money eventually........
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:04 pm

You're right, I got a little carried away (especially since in a Jaguar XJ forum that I frequent several people tried to prevent someone from buying a car in poor condition) because passion makes you do incredible things and we need people who move mountains...

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lodein » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:04 am

The weekend of September 22/23, I had an outing with one of my car clubs

Following a technical problem, I lost more than 3/4 of my photos, but I still have a few left...

The day before, we make ourselves beautiful

To be after Nantes around 9 a.m., you have to leave early,
Come on, get in the car

The sun rises nicely

It's one of the times of the day that I like and which allows me to ride well...

Arriving at the meeting point at the Martinière lock in Pellerin (44640), I take advantage of the beautiful light to take some photos of the famous soft boat

Now let's move on to what brings us together, our cars. It’s a Jaguar XJ and Rover gathering (Amicale XJ and Rover Club de France)

The 3 last pictures are not from me (It is from the President of the Rover Club de France)

As you see, there was a Rover 827 Si which was in good condition. I took a lot of pictures of it, but all of them were lost

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:42 pm

Excellent pics as always Stephan - some very nice machinery there too! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:46 am

Last sunday, I make a trip with the Barbezieux Old Car team.

I wanted to take My Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas, but the weather was bad
So I took the 406 Coupé

We stop first at the Château des Plassons which dates from the 15th century

Where some Cognac and Pineau are produced
One of the numerous Charentais stills in the château

One of the cellars

After we visited the Villebois Lavalette Castel's which dates from the 13th century

At a moment the castel was English, and one of the owners was the King "Jean Sans Terre" (I think you call him King John, but I am not sure)

But we are on a car forum so some pictures of the participants.

We were 33 cars and the most represented brand was Jaguar with 6 cars (3 XJ40s including a Daimler like new with 50,000 km, 2 XK8s and an XKR) just in front of Porsche (5 cars)

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:10 pm

Some great variety in the cars there Stephan, not many Matra Bagheeras left now! Based if memory serves on what you would know as the Simca 1308 (i think) and we knew as the Chrysler/Talbot Alpine with the same 1442cc engine, 3 front seats and no rear seats! You'd have to be fond of your passengers owning that car! :P :lol:

Unusual to see the XJ40 Daimler with twin round headlights, in the UK the standard Daimler and high-end Jaguar had single rectangular headlamps - that said many were converted, some for the looks, other due to repair costs.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:37 am

Between two showers, a long walk in the Charentaise countryside which, as you doubt, is well soaked, which allows you to take some nice photos even if there was a lack of sun...

We continue the drive to find another spot

Lodein

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:09 am

Handsome car and lovely pictures, they look like they could for a Daimler sales brochure.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:13 pm

Lovely! Can't beat a nice Series III XJ !!! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:41 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:10 pm
Some great variety in the cars there Stephan, not many Matra Bagheeras left now! Based if memory serves on what you would know as the Simca 1308 (i think) and we knew as the Chrysler/Talbot Alpine with the same 1442cc engine, 3 front seats and no rear seats! You'd have to be fond of your passengers owning that car! :P :lol:

Unusual to see the XJ40 Daimler with twin round headlights, in the UK the standard Daimler and high-end Jaguar had single rectangular headlamps - that said many were converted, some for the looks, other due to repair costs.
I had ansewred you but I forgot to post it !!!

So the club that organized the outing is a general club, so there is a wide variety of cars, perhaps too much

Effectivelly there is not a lot of Matra Bagheeras left. This one is an X of the last MY (1981) but was restored and repainted in the yellow of the first serie because the série 2 never existing in yellow and that the owner loved the yellow (So he loves my 406 Coupé !!!)

In France it was the same for the headlights for the XJ40 excepting for the Daimler Double Six which had twin round headlights

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:43 am

820Vitesse wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:09 am
Handsome car and lovely pictures, they look like they could for a Daimler sales brochure.
Thank you so much

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:00 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:13 pm
Lovely! Can't beat a nice Series III XJ !!! :wink: :D
Thank you so much.

In my Jaguar XJ club, most of people prefer the Serie II XJ (because of the small inox bumpers) and the Serie I and again more the Serie III are less loved (But they loved it more than an XJ40). And clearly at first I prefered the Serie II, but after a long time with my Serie III (More than 12 years), I prefer the Serie III and the serie I because it is the first of the XJ.

If I win at Loto, I will buy a Serie I XJ 4.2l Daimler before 1970, an Daimler Double Six XJ81 and an XJ8 X350 4.2l because the serie I is the first and the dashboard is the most beautiful one with there inox meters. The XJ81 because I love the design and because the V12 is with a 4 speed gearbox whith change all, and an XJ8 X350, because the design looks like a XJ and that it is the best XJ I drove.

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:57 pm

Nice choice of Jags if you won the Lottery! Totally agree on all except the XJ81, think i'd go for a Series I XJ12 or maybe a Series II XJ12C but life would be boring if we all made the same choices! I'd almost certainly have an XJ40 3.6 Sovereign though as i have a soft spot for those.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:20 pm

I bought a new car, an English one, not a Rover 800 :oops: , but a Jaguar. A Jaguar XJ6 dark metallic grey from 1982 as my Daimler

I will put some pictures when the weather will be better, because for the moment it is raining like in England !!!

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:25 pm

Looking forward to the pics Stephan! Is it a 4.2?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate