Brad's Lexus LS400

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:22 am

My Dad had a Superb until recently and it was a great car. It's on a LWB Passat platform so gives more interior space than the VW/Audi equivalents. His was a high spec model (leather seats and all) but my kids didn't like the seats saying that they weren't as comfortable as a Rover or Jaguar. Probably better for the driver, though as I find Rover seats uncomfortable on long runs.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:18 pm

CHR15E wrote:I'm a snob as well then. :lol:
Ha ha...not at all...I think :lol:
No longer an 800 owner!

Kyle
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kyle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Richard Moss wrote:My Dad had a Superb until recently and it was a great car. It's on a LWB Passat platform so gives more interior space than the VW/Audi equivalents. His was a high spec model (leather seats and all) but my kids didn't like the seats saying that they weren't as comfortable as a Rover or Jaguar. Probably better for the driver, though as I find Rover seats uncomfortable on long runs.
I quite like the superb, very similar to the A6.
I also like the octavia, but whoever decided to fit a 1.4 to the base model must have been crackers.

Everyone looks down on micras, well virtually everyone lol
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 am

This is the Superb I mean...

No longer an 800 owner!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:43 am

Not very nice looking IMO.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:27 am

Starting to look like a 3/5 series
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 pm

That is what I find is the problem with all modern cars. They just look so samey and dull.

I saw this Skoda Superb at the Geneva Motorshow, and was genuinely impressed with it. The thought that went through my head though was "wait until they are at £3995" on a forecourt in a few years' time!

What did amuse me though was the ingenious hatch/saloon bootlid. Opened one way it is a saloon, opened the other it is a full hatch. On most of the cars at the motorshow, it did not work properly! :lol:

I think compared to a Lexus this Superb, whilst no doubt very nice (and could be had with all the toys) would be like the difference between a Sterling with a Metro Vanden Plas in comparison. I would stick to Lexus Brad.

Failing that, if VAG is preferred, why not the VW Phaeton. They seem to lose their money faster than Icelandic banks though in terms of depreciation...
One or two 800s...

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 pm

I have had a Phaeton 4.2 a few years back so know what you mean...

I think another Lexus will be unbeatable, really, although the Superb really is a great car and great value. And £3995 is what my Lexus is now worth, too. It's depreciated 93% from new.

A couple of weeks ago, I did try a Mondeo. The only car they had as a demo was a 1.8 Turbo Diesel. I thought it was really good, too. I wanted to try a 2.3 petrol auto but, apparently, Ford have only made 2 so far for the UK and couldn't even find a 2.3 petrol manual for me to try anywhere in the UK. Ah well...
Last edited by Very Tall Brad on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:42 pm

CHR15E wrote:Not very nice looking IMO.
Possibly not, but bold it is.
No longer an 800 owner!

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:A couple of weeks ago, I did try a Mondeo. The only car they had as a demo was a 1.8 Turbo Diesel. I thought it was really good, too. I wanted to try a 2.3 petrol auto but, apparently, Ford have only made 2 so far for the UK and couldn't even find a 2.3 petrol manual for me to try anywhere in the UK. Ah well...
I had a long stint on driving a 1.8 TD new Mondeo abroad this year. I found it a lovely car to look at and sit in. It all went a tad downhill when I drove it. Such a narrow power band. It genuinely felt hard work, but then it is a car far bigger than the last Granada, and a 1.8 engine is, in my opinion, too small for it.

The bigger 2.1 TD however I would like to try. I have been tempted to get one as a new motor myself, but for the time being I am enjoying commuting XX style 8)
One or two 800s...

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Took this Lexus out of my garage where it has sat since May. Started first time, of course. Passed another MoT this afternoon without a problem. Just one advisory on one tyre.

It's now covered 131,317 miles (all but about 1000 by me) and it's never failed an MoT. And this is why people buy Lexus.
No longer an 800 owner!

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:This is the Superb I mean...

I received a brochure through the door for the Superb last week, they think it would make the perfect chauffeur car :shock:

I can imagine the reaction when I tell them they are being collected in a Skoda :roll: :roll: :roll:
JT

...........Image

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Most wouldn't know, would they?
No longer an 800 owner!

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:24 pm

I saw a Superb at a Motor show in September and i have to say i was very impressed at the overall package. I found the hatchback/boot very clever indeed. I was impressed with the amount of rear legroom and the size of the boot.
Skoda has come a long way since the 1970's but I think it is still suffering the effects of the name and its association with its products of that era which is a shame because I don’t think this car deserves to bear that stigma. It certainly opened my eyes and made me view the product in a new light.
I have to admit to liking this car and compared to the Fords and other products I saw on sale for more money in my opinion it offered better value and it seemed to be a better quality product
Glyn
Image Image

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:57 pm

I agree, Prof.

This new Superb is a fabulous car.

My only critcism is the design of the SKODA badge. It's over the top naff.
No longer an 800 owner!