Brad's Lexus LS400

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Brad's Lexus LS400

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Ls400. Four litre V8 auto. Never missed a beat. Owned by me from a 3 months old. Goes like the wind and can cruise all day at 100mph plus ( and I know, cos that's why I bought it!). Paris to Vienna or Calais to Bologna non stop apart from petrol is a doddle. Doing Calais to Rome in December and won't consider anything else for the trip. Highly recommended and the most silent car ever made, apparently.

Last edited by Very Tall Brad on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Brad's Lexus LS400

Post by Richard C » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:Doing Calais to Rome in December and won't consider anything else for the trip.
Got room for a little one in the boot? 8)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:50 am

Beautiful car, my cousin's mate had one in Syria, he took us out on various nights out, I felt like someone important sitting in the back of one of these. Now if only I could find one with LPG.....

Lord Sterling

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Lord Sterling wrote:Beautiful car, my cousin's mate had one in Syria, he took us out on various nights out, I felt like someone important sitting in the back of one of these. Now if only I could find one with LPG.....

Lord Sterling
They do come up. But as mentioned before the parts are just silly money, as are the tyres!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:32 am

Yeh I saw one for sale in the autotrader about a year ago, but decided against buying it as the LPG and car itself sounded a bit dodgy.

Lord Sterling

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:35 am

Kyle wrote:
Lord Sterling wrote:Beautiful car, my cousin's mate had one in Syria, he took us out on various nights out, I felt like someone important sitting in the back of one of these. Now if only I could find one with LPG.....

Lord Sterling
They do come up. But as mentioned before the parts are just silly money, as are the tyres!
But the parts are infrequently needed. In 10 years, all I have needed steering column motors £650 fitted. And that's all. Okay, the cambelt service was £700 but that's dealer prices. No doubt there is somewhere doing these for less money, who knows?

Tyres...agreed. Only one maker for my 245 50 17 - Pirelli P Zero. Bridgestones are available in USA, however, but seem about the same price.
Last edited by Very Tall Brad on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer an 800 owner!

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:25 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:
Kyle wrote:

Lord Sterling
But the parts are infrequently needed. In 122000 miles, I have needed steering column motors £650 fitted. And that's all. Okay, the cambelt service was £700 but that's dealer prices. No doubt there is somewhere doing these for less money, who knows?

Tyres...agreed. Only one maker for my 245 50 17 - Pirelli P Zero. Bridgestones are available in USA, however, but seem about the same price.
However I think a much older one might have a lot more problems than yours has had? Since once the car goes below a certain value, people don't fix things unless its essential.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Very true, Kyle.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Today after a nighttime polish

No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Over the last few weeks, the starter has been a bit temperamental - a bit "lazy" is how I'd describe it.

I rang Lexus Cheltenham last Wednesday at 3pm. By 5.15pm their flatbed lorry was here ( I am about 25 miles from their centre) and the car taken for diagnosis. First thing Thursday, I had a call to say it ideally needed a new starter but it wasn't too bad. The cost was £825 all inclusive - this involved removal of the exhausts and transmission to replace the starter so I thought it was a good price. Friday, job done, car valeted and returned to me via same lorry. Okay it was expensive, the job was probably not urgent and the car may have lasted another year or so as it was but I have a 100% car again.

Another 10 out of 10 for Lexus service.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:Another 10 out of 10 for Lexus service.
But not for design, I'd say.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Definitley not by the sound of it.

One was never on my short list but it definitley won't be now having heard that.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:51 pm

But guaranteed for 5 years now. So good value.

I guess the location could have been better. Maybe it was assumed it'd last for the life of the car.
No longer an 800 owner!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Fair point, just more than I'd want to spend on a job like that.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:11 pm

CHR15E wrote:Fair point, just more than I'd want to spend on a job like that.
Fair comment, but I have never needed anything else apart from steering column motors. And both that job and the starter were my choice not as a result of a breakdown. These are the things I would have expected to have had to have done in 124000 miles in a regular car:

Head gasket (possibly)
Radiator (possibly)
Exhaust (Lexus is for life in complete Stainless Steel)
Bulbs (never needed one)
A switch or sensor somewhere
Ball joints
Shocks (Lexus are air)

My LS400 has needed nothing. Overall then, a really cheap car to run in terms of spare parts.
No longer an 800 owner!