Brad's Lexus LS400

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:05 am

47p2 wrote:The headlamp lenses can be refurbished Brad
I have had the perspex covers polished professionally but they are still a bit 'milky'. The silvering on the reflectors is also a bit dulled - I'd say about 80% what it was when new. I think new ones are deserved. I'll try and get a discount! Thanks for the tip, though.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 pm

New headlights are out of stock at Lexus. I shall take John 47p2's tip and get them polished. Where shall I try? A valeters, a jewellers...any ideas?
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Some who deals with glass/crystal work - perhaps your local antique dealer may be able to give you a lead?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:48 pm

3m do a kit for refurbishing the lenses
JT

...........Image

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:19 am

Thanks, John. I'll take a look.

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!

dodgyvinyl
Regular Visitor

Post by dodgyvinyl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:43 am

Hey Brad,

Theres a place in Brum who will re-coat the silver on the headlights...I looked at doing it on the Volvo and it came in at about the same price as new lights (£180 for a pair).

Might be worth trying aircraft plastic visor scratch remover on the lenses (maybe RM could tell you more when he's well again)...

As a side note, with anyone who has scratched glass lenses (or windscreen), Brasso, followed by Tcut and loads of elbow grease works perfectly.
Volvo V70 / S70 / 850 / C70 - several breaking - eBay user ID "Volbits".
Volvo V70 T5 TD - My daily driver

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks Carl

The silvering is as new. It's just the perpex covers that are dulled.

I shall try T Cut on them today myself. Nothing to lose, eh?

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:02 am

Probably need more than T Cut. I have wetsanded them before. Try looking on Detailing World for tips and tricks:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... =headlight

Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 pm

All done and almost like new.

I have wet and dried the headlamps on my Honda HR-V and Tcut them too. Like new

THANKS FOR THE TIPS
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Re: Brad's Lexus LS400

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:59 pm

MoT fail!

Needs one offside upper wishbone with bushes
One top ball joint
One tyre (which really means two)
One wiper blade
One number plate bulb

Not bad.

This is the first suspension component I have needed in 12 years and over 300,000 miles. However, my car has the Lexus Dynamic Handling Pack (factory lowered suspension, bigger wheels and harder springs/shocks) and the upper arms are Lexus only at £444 plus VAT each. There are no aftermarket alternatives.

With the labour and other parts and the annual oil/filter change it's over £1000. And that's what the car is now worth. :cry: But it's the first real expense in 12 years. So, a good result.

A buddy on the Lexus Club of America has a late LS400 which has now done over 700,000 miles. No major work or replacements, either, although his driver's seat recently collapsed. I believe he's a big lad.
No longer an 800 owner!

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Brad
sorry about the LS! There are plenty of after-market upper arms available for £42 - wonder if genuine ones are 10 times "better"??

My LS has got an annoying clonk from the front nearside so I suspected upper wishbone or lower ball joint, which seem the common causes. Took it to my very friendly MOT station and got it up on the ramp. Two inspectors and I working together could find no hint of play in anything at the front end, so a bit of a mystery.

Also, the back end is a bit vague under acceleration, so we had a look at that too. Found some MOT inspector had left yellow crayon marks on the trailing arm bushes, though could not see much movement in them. Anyway, four poly bushes now arrived from California, but I cannot shift the old bolts with the car on axle stands. It goes into the local garage tomorrow to have them fitted - needs a high ramp and breaker bar I think.

Fitted front discs and pads the other day, all very straightforward and not especially expensive. Discs are HUGE and heavy at 315mm. Lovely 4-pot calipers inspire confidence.

Currently splicing into the CD changer wiring to add ipod connectivity, having replaced the radio with an original item that still has a working LCD display..

Cheers
Tim
Last edited by whitelion58 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Great fun. The bolts on these suspension parts are done up to a huge torque.

The aftermarket arms have a dodgy reputation and appear not to last very long. Unfortunately, the arms on my car are different due to the DHP/lowered suspension so aftermarkets aren't available.

I did ask about getting them re-bushed but this was one hell of a job and unlikely to be successful.

I reckon the price of a good Ford Ka to get me car through it's 9th MoT is very good value, all things considered.
No longer an 800 owner!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Not bad at all for 12 years of motoring!

Also shows how impressive the depreciation is!

Sorry to hijack but...
whitelion58 wrote: Currently splicing into the CD changer wiring to add ipod connectivity, having replaced the radio with an original item that still has a working LCD display..
Funny I've just done that at the headunit end on the R960 by connecting to the tape deck audio input to the headunit's amplifier. Works a treat and crystal clear. Just in case splicing into the CD changer doesn't work, an alternative option!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I did toy with the idea of scrapping this car as it was going to be so expensive to get through the MoT. But I washed it and changed my mind

And there are still the bodywork issues - bumps, scrapes, a dent, some screen surround rust which I have been quoted £700 to have done.

And it's still on it's original engine, transmission, exhaust...no work ever needed on any of these parts. So, taking everything into account, it's still been cheaper to run over 13 years than buying a new Mondeo in 2000 and another in 2007 and possibly needing another one now in 2013. But I still wouldn't buy a new one again. They are too blingy and far too expensive for me these days. Who needs eyeball recognition???
Last edited by Very Tall Brad on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer an 800 owner!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Fantastic stuff there Brad. I knew somehow that you would get this car sorted. I'm of the school of thought of; it doesnt matter how much the car is worth against how much it cost to get the work done. If the car makes you happy, that's all that matters. Far too many people scrap perfectly good motors because its worth £250 and needs £300 of work, funnily enough though, those very same people are happy to yog 1k+ buying thier next car.

My McKV6 is worth next to f*** all, I got it for free, yet I've spent a good near £800 getting it sorted, and that's with little engine work. If it continues to give good service, a cambelt change (all 4 of them, I feel sick :( ) will be the next thing on the list :|

Aye.