Brad's Citroen C4

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

That's not on is it.

I'll stick with my old bangers. :lol:
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lord Sterling » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Sorry to hear that Brad, not nice when you get messed about. I'm glad you have got evidence of this to show others what a farce Citroen dealers are. I'd cause them embarrassment by press anyway seeing as they cant be bothered to get thier fingers out and really do some actual work.

Lord Sterling

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Brad, that sounds like customer service, UAE style.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 pm

The only French car I would consider is Peugeot ( I know Citroen & Peugeot and the one and the same in effect). A friend of mine has a Megane thinggy. It has been off the road twice recently with failed fuel pump (diesel). Both times involved a lengthy wait for parts to arrive from France. The reason (?) was contaminated fuel (purchased from local Shell site). Why can't dealers here hold stocks? Of course, he had to pay for it to be trailored to the dealer, by the dealer, twice
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:31 am

Finally got the car back last week, covered in filth and really dirty on the outside. I didn't make a fuss, just made it clear that this would be my last new Citroen.

The car seems the best it has been since new. At last. I feel like this car has been a sort of guinea pig for trialling problem resolving on these cars. They could be so much better.

Never again.

I have just rung up the finance company to find out how much I owe on it so I can get it paid off and sell it soon. I quite fancy a Kia Sedona, Rodius or similar next. Not much style, but they do work.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:48 pm

The Sedona (Carnival over here) is a good piece of kit. They also feel much better screwed together than the Chrysler Voyager or Dodge(y) Journey.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Dodge Journey
Fiat Freemont for viewers in Central Europe :lol:
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:52 am

Richard Moss wrote:The Sedona (Carnival over here) is a good piece of kit. They also feel much better screwed together than the Chrysler Voyager or Dodge(y) Journey.
Hohum... The Carnival is about the worst car in the stats of the tests done by the TÃœV here in Germany. Particular the Diesel is rated as comparatively fragile. The C4 Picasso is run by rental companys here in Germany, but with the small Diesel and manual 5-speed box - it can't be all that bad.

Regards,

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:31 am

Are you talking about the current Carnival with the 3.8L Kia/Hyundai V6 or the previous generation with the Mercedes diesel or Rover KV6?

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:03 pm

1st gen - I actually had to google the 2nd gen, as I wasn't aware of it. It does sell very badly here in Germany (unlike the 1st gen), so it is not included in any stats regarding reliability or TÃœV test results. Sales have stopped 2010 here and I actually can't remember ever seeing a 2nd gen one...

Regards,

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Sedona in the UK is now to special order only, too. 16 weeks delivery, I was told the other day.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

They're available "off the shelf" here and seem to sell reasonably well. Big SUVs tend to be the big sellers but the Carnival seems (going by what I see on the road) to have carved up the people carrier market between itself and the Voyager.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Re: Brad's Citroen C4

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 pm

I stuck with this C4 Grand Picasso and we've now done 47000 miles.

This week - new tyres, pads all round, another bloody software update (this must be something like the 20th now). It is now 5 years old and, overall, still feels like new.

The EGS automated manual gearbox still doesn't like cold starts but is much better than when it was new.

The dealer says the bearings are shot in the water pump so that is being done Friday together with the cambelt. Some heat shields have worked loose again and are rattling against the driveshaft. This needs new clips. The car is also subject to it's fifth recall. Again, booked in for this, too. Oh, and the rear tailgate catch is being replaced under warrenty. And the front seats due to collapsing of the seat bolsters.

Summing up, I can't recommend one of these with this EGS transmission. The paddle shifts are a nice touch and these work well. But the properly automated changes are not smooth unless you are tatering it along at speed. Crawling in traffic or, worse still, up the slopes of a multi storey car park, are impossible to do smoothly.

In all other respects - fit and finish and general reliability - it's been better than expected. And the dealer we have finally found (Chevron of Worcester) are very nice to deal with. The car is always filthy, though, when we collect it from having any work done. I don't think they can find their sponges.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:09 am

Had the water pump, cambelt changed. All okay.

I am having the seat bolsters replaced under warranty and the tailgate handle, too.

Since the last visit to the dealer, it is now using a pint of oil every 1000 miles and is throwing up warning messages on the dash which disappear if you stop and restart. Once or twice, the car has shuddered at speed (like fuel starvation) and the rear compartment has decided to let in rain water - possibly through the roof mounted aerial.

There are signs that this car needs more remedial work. Thatnk goodness for the extended Citroen warranty. However, this expires in June 2013 so a new car beckons. I can't risk keeping this old crate once the warranty runs out.

I have considered a lot of different cars, as I have said previously, and keep coming back to the idea of a Korean or Japanese car - Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Lexus RX. Or just chuck in all my cred and go for the Rodius, warts and all.
No longer an 800 owner!

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Can you recommend the C4 Brad :roll:

I have been very impressed with the Korean cars recently, especially with the interiors (even black!)

I tried some at the London Motoexpo (will be going again this year) and I know of a Kia owner who praises them highly. Mind you, Ford can't stop making good cars it seems
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto