MG TF 160

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slamm
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MG TF 160

Post by Slamm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm

I have been promising myself a soft top for a while, never had one before, and what with summer just arround the corner (last week in May) I have bought an MG TF (waits for hair dresser jokes :wink: )
I wanted a Jag XK8 but it would have ended up a garden ornament due running costs.

This is the 160bhp 1.8 VVC version and is quite nippy, handling is fantastic
and parts are cheap :D .

Today I had a good drive with the roof down and am still grinning like a loon

I now have too many cars and as my Vitesse will be back on the road at the end of the month the Sterling will be up for sale. Someone on the forum was supposed to be having it but not heard anything for over a month and it needs to go so will start a forsale thread.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Looks nice! I'd like one of those to play around with! 8)
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Not for me but as long as you're happy.

What's going to Longbridge then?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Nice colour that looks a stunning matey.

How much for a trim??
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm very jealous! I've had a couple of MGF VVC's and miss them both! If you haven't already got one then consider the K&N57i induction kit. On the TF160 the breathing is already pretty good so you won't get any more power however the noise it makes right behind your head is amazing :D :D :D

For the record here were my two:
Had this from about 2000 to 2003

Had this from 2006 to 2009(ish)

The other mod that is well worth it is the Mike Satur slick shift. The difference it makes to the gear changes is pretty incredible. I fitted one to both of mine!
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 pm

CHR15E wrote: What's going to Longbridge then?
Vitesse wiil be taxed next week, been off the road about 16 months so could do with a run out :D
Richard C wrote: How much for a trim??
Cheap but I only do short back and scrapes :wink:
guru wrote: The other mod that is well worth it is the Mike Satur slick shift.
That name keeps cropping up for all sorts of MG parts, will have to do some reading.
Love the red F by the way, I think they are better looking than the TF but I wanted something with shocks and springs, though i'm sure the ride is better on the hydrogas.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:11 pm

Mike Satur has a good reputation for proper tuning bits and improvements. one thing he did (or was it Brown and Gammons?) is a special spring kit for the seats which gives a lower seating position because the F (and TF?) have a reputation for sticking the heads of tall drivers above the screen.

He also sells F/TF clutch slave cylinders - which are the same as Rover 820 ones. The F and TF also use the 800s rear calipers.

Whatever you do, look after the cooling system! There are all sorts of improved cooling parts available and these are well worth a look.

PS: can you do my wife's roots next week?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Richard Moss wrote: Whatever you do, look after the cooling system! There are all sorts of improved cooling parts available and these are well worth a look.

PS: can you do my wife's roots next week?

Its just had the head skimmed and pressure tested and the uprated gasket, they also mentioned about uprated cooling pipe or pipes.

I can do your wifes roots for free just send me a return ticket and i'll pack my scissors :lol:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Slamm wrote:
CHR15E wrote: What's going to Longbridge then?
Vitesse wiil be taxed next week, been off the road about 16 months so could do with a run out :D
Richard C wrote: How much for a trim??
Cheap but I only do short back and scrapes :wink:
guru wrote: The other mod that is well worth it is the Mike Satur slick shift.
That name keeps cropping up for all sorts of MG parts, will have to do some reading.
Love the red F by the way, I think they are better looking than the TF but I wanted something with shocks and springs, though i'm sure the ride is better on the hydrogas.
Thanks, I do still regret selling the red one to this day, it was actually the car that we used to take us from the Church after our wedding.....should have kept it really!

My brother had a TF160 whilst I had the green one so I got to drive both quite a lot. The TF did handle better but was very harsh, whereas the F still had 95% of the handling but rode much better. He did concede that my car was better for every day use but on the other hand I much prefer the looks of the TF!

My dream F would still be the 2001 Trophy but with a family it'll be a while before I have another :-(
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:14 am

I looked at a Trophy, bright yellow which was ok but the interior had a lot of yellow as well which put me off.
I seem to remember Vicky Butler Henderson driving some special F on Top Gear, think it was a Cheeta over 200bhp, cant remeber who made them, going to have a look on youtube.
As for the harsh ride well its not quite as bad as my Vitesse :?
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback