Ford 3.0 V6 and a Firbreglass Body =

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Re: Ford 3.0 V6 and a Firbreglass Body =

Post by Dajazar » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Dajazar wrote:
MG Mal wrote:I wonder if you could fit a C27 "In-Line" in one?
Yeah that would be my preferred option too as I am no fan of the blue oval. :roll:
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Isn't the whole car a "let's see what's in THIS parts bin" ?. I do like them especially the very late ones, Princess Anne had one of the "new" ones didn't she ?
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MG Mal » Thu May 03, 2012 10:12 am

Well I arrived home at 2am wednesday morning with "Mellow" on the trailer.

There are a few issues I will need to attend to, such as a nasty crack/tear in the lower A pillar between the top and bottom door hinge (drivers side)

After some basic "tendering" a couple of cans on fresh go juice and a new "Varta Blue" battery "Mellow" came to life for the first time in 7 years!. :D

There is a ton of history recording replacement of front cross member, new full out riggers and various other works on the chassis all finished off with "Treated then painted with Hammerite black".

So at least there should be minimal risk of a test failure there for a while.

The " As New" bucket seat will have to come out (black leather), as not only is it "not right", my backside don't fit LOL!.

Plenty of little jobs to do once I have her off the trailer and cleaned her down.

So far well worth buying.

A few pics for your "perusal". :D

"Well here she is after a quick wash to remove the storage dust and the road grime picked up on the way home.
No interior or engine pics as yet, but will get round to it.
Quite a few "surface cracks" in the paint, but they seem very shallow, so hopefully will polish out, or at least lessen after a good cut back.
I found a slightly bent but otherwise good condition matching load cover in the back today. Bonus! :P

As for running, have a major blow on the drivers front pipe, and she has a rather nasty "bang" when selecting drive/reverse etc.
Think the box needs attention...............

Start with the interesting bit.
Nice spare wheel in pretty good order too.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:43 am

This is bizarre!

Not only does the bloke up the road have an Early Scimitar parked up outside his house that is in regular use.

My Uncle's Mate has an early one that hasn't moved for a LONG while...

And no jokes, last week a mate from the local pub bought an SE6....

So within a year i went from not knowing what they looked like to knowing (now) 4 people who own one and am busy helping my mate fiddle with his!

They are gorgeous old beasts, and I think surprisingly big! Looking at the early models with the colour coded headlight surrounds gives me an idea for my mates SE6

Have to fix the cooling system first though...

Nice buy Mal, enjoy it! :-)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks,

You can get stainless pipes to replace the old crumbling mild steel coolant pipes for both early and late cars.
(as well as stainless exhaust's and fuel tanks).
Tell your mate to get over to the RSSOC web forum for links to suppliers and of course hints and tips etc.

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 pm

by the way, those wheels have the same PCD as an 800.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Thu May 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Fit some Vitesse Sport wheels to it! :D
One or two 800s...

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 am

by the way, those wheels have the same PCD as an 800
As has the MGB Richard, but you won't catch me fitting ro-Styles to an 800! :mrgreen:

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri May 04, 2012 2:00 pm

I doubt that they'd fit over the brakes, anyway.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 pm

I might "hang" a prestige on one corner to see what it looks like. (just for fun).

But I do fancy a set of 7x14 slots finished to a high shine LOL

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sun May 06, 2012 4:42 pm

And the 2nd one arrives. :D

Here are the pics.

"Snow White" 1974 Scimitar SE5a 3.0 V6 (partially converted to Manual)
Cursery checks show body needs more work than "Mellow Yellow".

She came with most of the parts to complete the auto to manual conversion, as well as an extra set of dunlop composite alloys and a few box's of spares.
Last owner 22 years and garaged for 95% of its life.

Full Stainless exhaust system from (but not including) manifolds back, stainless coolant pipes, but standard tank(slightly rusty)

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun May 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Got the bug then? :lol:

Know that feeling.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon May 07, 2012 3:00 am

They are really characterful cars - they need TLC, though, and that can be a problem because people expect them to be as easy to maintain as a modern car

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Mon May 07, 2012 7:37 am

Got the bug then? :lol:

Know that feeling.
Well the 2nd one may well be a spares car once I have gone through it Chris.

We have Fiona's late fathers Scimitar in for restoration, and as the're not quite "reveared" as they should be at the moment (like the 800's), certain parts are silly prices.

So this one has the interior we need and a new stainless system on it. The wheels are far better than "Mellow's", so a swop is in order there.
Just waiting to see what another donor car looks like before deciding.

Meanwhile the next "long weekend" at the barn will involve bin bags, and scrap men.

Mal.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah in that boat at the minute.

When you off there next? If you need a hand and I'm about give me a shout.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold