Shaun's Vitesse

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Slamm
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Shaun's Vitesse

Post by Slamm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Richard Moss wrote:Well extract the digit and get on with it man! :)
Sound just like my wife :roll:

Finger duly extracted, primer and mig wire bought, fire extinguisher on standby.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Slamm
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Slamm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Very slow progress, and I make no excuses.

A little bit more done, now onto the drivers side rear sill end and lower wheel arch. In much the same condition as the passenger side. All the rust cut out. Inner sill was cleaned up and painted, honest.

And after repair and primer

The back of the car is ready to be reassembled so should be back on its wheels this week.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:32 am

I have missed this, excellent work. Very thoroughly made removing all of the old rust as it would come back eventually! Looking forward to pics when back on the ground.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:09 pm

More done today, painted and under sealed end of sill.

All the rear suspension now back on, new springs, new discs and pads, poly bushed ARB. Looking a bit cleaner now.

And just for comparison this is what it started like.

Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Wow, brilliant!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:28 pm

The comparison pictures are just awesome, that suspension and floorpan will stay together for a 100 years!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

papa-rich4.0
Regular Visitor

Post by papa-rich4.0 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Looking really good. Nice work!

I thought the underside of my car was in good nick until I saw yours.

I may have to do some work on mine (after learning all the necessary skills, getting all the tools and having some experience)

Rich

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Great stuff Shaun, you've done a good job there. 8)
It's a labour of love laying on your back doing that sort of work.

Jon

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks for the kind words, just wish it was coming on a bit quicker :D

A bit more done this week, now back on four wheels, even had a short drive which is a big boost to morale. Though not looking its best when seen in daylight.

Had its first wash in nearly three years :oops:

The last time it was on the road and still proudly wearing its forum sticker

Before it was even dry the back bumper was off for a quick tidy of the crash bar and valance.

And after a coat of stonechip

Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Tidy work you have done shaun, at this rate of knots it wont be long before she's back on the road.

The rear light under the spoiler is interesting, is it a Rover 800 light from a MK1 spoiler? if so how did you come by this as they were only manufactured and installed on the soft feel rear spoiler for the north american market.

Silly californian rules of the day
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:52 pm

It seems never ending, don't know how the multiple 800 owners on here find time to get jobs done.

The brake light is a genuine Rover item, its from the 220 coupe, the early one's I think and is a complete stand alone unit. Its been on the car for a while, not sure if its staying though.

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

rovering
Regular Visitor

Post by rovering » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Well done on all the work there.
I must say too that I really really like the colour of your car!
Graeme
2003 Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 ltr Connoisseur
2001 Rover 75 Club SE 2.5 ltr
1995 Rover Sterling 2.7 (SOLD)
1990 Rover Vitesse 2.7 (SOLD)
1988 Rover Sterling 2.5 (SOLD)
1986 Rover SD1 Vanden Plas

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks for the comments, it is Caribbean blue. Doesn't seem very common these days.
It could really do with a full respray as the bonnet and front bumper are a bit marked plus there is another n/side wing to put on yet, may get get away with just front end.
I daren't ask how much a full respray would be :(
I may also be just a bit too old to go for the Rat look.

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:29 am

mrpcpc wrote:The bonus is though with the original colour is that I don't think it gets affected by the sunlight and so matching should not be a problem I would have thought. But obviously an experienced body shop and worker makes a difference too

I think you're right, I had the n/side rear quarter resprayed a few years ago and the colour match was spot on. The painter told me he'd blown it into the back door to soften the transition between new and old, I couldn't tell the difference, he thought it was OK :roll:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

mrwilks01934
Regular Visitor

Post by mrwilks01934 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 am

Hi Shaun first off great job on the vitesse the repairs are brilliant better than mine LOL, secondly that Zinc primer you use is it A brush on or B spray and where did you buy it halfords by anychance or your local body shop many thanks keep up the good work.

Regards Tony
Hi iam Tony, I currently have seven 800's a 1996 827 sterling, a 1996 820 vitesse turbo, a 1989 827 vitesse manual which needs a part/full resto, 1999 KV6 sterling,1998 KV6 sterling, 1998 vitesse turbo,1991 H Reg 827 vitesse Auto all fastbacks.