Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Alucard7002/TheOldMan - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:13 am

SEVEN months since my last update...

So...

I moved house to Cambridge

Err that's about it!

820 wise the exhaust that was NEW and BRANDED (Klarius - there's a reason they went bankrupt methinks) lasted just UNDER two years before rusting through completely and sounding like a gentalially challenged 17 year old's corsa!

Booked into Demand Engineering in Ipswich to have a full stainless steel system built for it, from the manifold back. (Longlife)
2 1/2 " straight though system with no cat converter (LPG emissions test is far less stringent :wink: )
Sounds like an old MGB according to TheOldMan and eldest, to me it just sounds a little fruity at the top end, no rasp, no fart not 110dBa.
Transferable lifetime guarantee
BIG boost in low end torque and probably something up top (my bottom dynamometer is not that accurate!)

Also washed it and waxed it for the first time since May, poor thing needed something before winter. Lacquer is blooming on the bonnet and my bumpers that I resprayed are both stonechipped to hell and back, towing scarred and cracking (rush job repairing cracks in my replacement rear bumper) Touched up with paint left over and it passes the 10' test :roll:

New front drop links (I forgot just how the 800 LOVES to eat front drop links like penny sweets)
New pads all round
New ignition coil pack (old one randomly decided to die completely on one cylinder :? )

Still been a first time starter and very reliable daily driver (flat battery once because I left the boot unlatched - does that count?)
Still averaging 24mpg on gas though that is dropping using it for shopping trips in Cambridge - hoof it a few times up the A14 or load her up to the rafters and I get 19, a bit ouchy until I look at the receipt and remind myself it would cost twice that on petrol near enough. Be normal and 22mpg is what I'm getting

Enjoy!

(phone pictures - apologies)

No way this is catching on speedbumps!

Gorgeous 2-into-1 collector I think it goes from 2x 1 3/4" to 2 1/2"

No cat :twisted:

Fitted the biggest silencer that would fit aiming to reduce the noise (had to go back and change it for a smaller one afterwards as it droned at a certain RPM)

Slip joints and flexi's are also covered in the guarentte

And subtle almost OEM exhaust tips that look right at home IMHO

All for the time being - I have a house to refurbish and some cars to play with

I'll try to keep in contact better, honest :oops:
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:03 am

That exhaust looks nice - as does the rest of the car
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:24 am

Emissions aside I thought that these days if a car should have a cat it must be fitted for MOT?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:48 am

Agreed, I think the test includes a visual check for fitment on post '94 models, even though a well maintained engine will pass the emission test without one. I hope that doesn't give Dusan any headaches.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 am

"A catalytic converter is missing where one was fitted as standard (on vehicles subject to a full cat test only)"

As primary fuel is LPG with X number of recorded miles to prove it the 820 is not subject to a full cat test, the limits are the same as the old non cat test. The 820 flies through on the old standard!

Hence no cat :wink:

Cheers for the comments folks :D

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Fair enough mate. Just wasn't sure. :)
Chris

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Can't go wrong with a BRG fastback. Lovely 8)

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Nice to see you Dusan, hope you are well. The car still looks good and is obviously performing well.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:01 am

Alucard7002 wrote:SEVEN months since my last update...

So...

I moved house to Cambridge

Err that's about it!

820 wise the exhaust that was NEW and BRANDED (Klarius - there's a reason they went bankrupt methinks) lasted just UNDER two years before rusting through completely and sounding like a gentalially challenged 17 year old's corsa!

Booked into Demand Engineering in Ipswich to have a full stainless steel system built for it, from the manifold back. (Longlife)
2 1/2 " straight though system with no cat converter (LPG emissions test is far less stringent :wink: )
Sounds like an old MGB according to TheOldMan and eldest, to me it just sounds a little fruity at the top end, no rasp, no fart not 110dBa.
Transferable lifetime guarantee
BIG boost in low end torque and probably something up top (my bottom dynamometer is not that accurate!)

Also washed it and waxed it for the first time since May, poor thing needed something before winter. Lacquer is blooming on the bonnet and my bumpers that I resprayed are both stonechipped to hell and back, towing scarred and cracking (rush job repairing cracks in my replacement rear bumper) Touched up with paint left over and it passes the 10' test :roll:

New front drop links (I forgot just how the 800 LOVES to eat front drop links like penny sweets)
New pads all round
New ignition coil pack (old one randomly decided to die completely on one cylinder :? )

Still been a first time starter and very reliable daily driver (flat battery once because I left the boot unlatched - does that count?)
Still averaging 24mpg on gas though that is dropping using it for shopping trips in Cambridge - hoof it a few times up the A14 or load her up to the rafters and I get 19, a bit ouchy until I look at the receipt and remind myself it would cost twice that on petrol near enough. Be normal and 22mpg is what I'm getting

Enjoy!
You FINALLY mucked out the poor old girl! Or did you just clean the outside?
So the front wheels are actually silver and not black after all.

Told you it wasn't my driving and that you had a bad misfire - point to me I think.

Does the handbrake work now or is that expecting too much?
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:25 pm

TheOldMan wrote:
You FINALLY mucked out the poor old girl! Or did you just clean the outside?
So the front wheels are actually silver and not black after all.

Told you it wasn't my driving and that you had a bad misfire - point to me I think.

Does the handbrake work now or is that expecting too much?
Yes,

No full valet I'll have you know!

Err I replaced the coil pack BEFORE you drove it - Intermittent misfire since, I think the plug leads are knackered as the spark plus are the fancy Iriduim LPG plugs supposedly good for mega miles. They all look even and brown so no complaints there.

Handbrake... on an 800? Definitely expecting too much :lol:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:26 am

Been a busy boy I have...

Made full use of the parents double garage over Christmas and New Year.

Treated the 820 to a NEW set of rear calipers, the thrice overhauled pair rescued from my first 800 had finally given up completely!

Well worth it and hopefully that's the handbrake done for the life of the car.

In addition yet another new coil pack as one coil on the (less than 2 year old) replacement died.

Still had a misfire - bit the bullet and treated her yet again by purchasing these:

Should have done this when I first overhauled the ignition components after fitting the LPG system - idles silky smooth now and even (genuinely!) has a bit more poke/response. Still an nasp 820 though...

It's been a reliable old girl - nearly at the magic 100k and in terms of total running costs it's been silly cheap compared to other options.

All for now - no plans as of yet other than enjoy it!

Hope you have all been well - apologies for the absence, I've not died or fallen off a roof (does a ceiling or three count? :oops: )

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:05 am

Welcome back! And good to hear things are ticking along nice and smoothly these days, a fine looking machine you have there.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:51 pm

How the old girl repays me for forcing her above the magic 100k?

Blows the radiator completely (I had known it to be iffy in appearance and had planned on a replacement when it started leaking - not planned on it letting go in one fell swoop though!)

I knew I had a leaky condenser too so I pulled that out too after I realised the cost of the replacement was £80.

Worth it to have working Air Con again!

Whilst up on stands and immobile I treated her to a goodly wash and wax. Still looking presentable as a daily driver!

Fix me! :roll:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 am

Had your moneys worth out that rad. :D

I had a few get like that. Never let go though luckily.
Chris

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Alucard7002 wrote: Whilst up on stands and immobile I treated her to a goodly wash and wax. Still looking presentable as a daily driver!
You know that if you wash and wax yours, I have to do mine too.
I used to complain about how big the 800 was to polish and wax - especially the bonnet.
This thing though is VAST!
Been waiting for a sunny day to take the photos. Unfortunately that shows up how heavily stone chipped the front valence and sills are. Never mind the rest is shiney. Still got some dust from the waxing I now see - these digital cameras are unforgiving!

hmmm, rethink the image thingy then

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-AS3 ... authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-AS3d ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-AS3d ... sp=sharing
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.