engine out

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

hare racer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

engine out

Post by hare racer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Hello.decided to take out the engine today as its wanting so many parts replacing I thought it would be easier that way
Boy is there alot of pipes and cables on these cars.I could not get a good enough grip on the power steering union on the pump so I had to cut it unfortunately, so I will be pricing up for a set of them soon.Please bare with me with the pictures as I am having trouble doing so

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: engine out

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:59 pm

If I can give you one piece of advice on working with 800s. Always check prices and availability of parts before starting. Sometime the most insignificant parts turn out to be NLA or prohibitively expensive.

There are some good threads on here giving alternative compatible parts that are cheaper or more readily available.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Many thanks tom.I have been using rovaparts of Redditch for my parts so far and I have found he very reasonable and prompt,but I will now be checking on this site first from now on.regards james

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 am

First of all, i'll reiterate what Tom said, avoid mutilating anything if at all possible! Don't forget you still have to do the job properly after and almost always cause yourself unnecessary extra expense - in some cases very considerable expense too! That's assuming you can get the bits. Much better to invest heavily in some WD40 or similar and a few sackfuls of patience and elbow grease. With rusted nuts, bolts etc don't keep winding the nuts off if they are getting stiffer. Wind them back on and squirt again with WD then try again. Each time should see the thread cleared further along until you can remove the fastener without damage.

Secondly, good luck with it all! Which car have you got?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 am

Good advice from Tom and Dave about saving as much of the original equipment as possible. Sometimes the most innocuous of parts can be the hardest to find and become a show stopper.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for the posts and info.So far the worst thing that has happened was taking of the tie rod to control arm bolts.One was seized solid,no amount of heat,oil,scaffold bar extensions or patience worked so I had to then take of the arm and drill it out a different size step up at a time. (Note expensive drill bits are essential).Today though I have changed the cambelt using my tried and tested slice it in half method so I don't lose the timing at all. I know most purists wont agree with that method.pictures for this project are on the rover 800 Facebook page as I still cannot upload them here.cheers

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Sorry forgot to mention what it is, its a vitesse turbo saloon series 2, thanks

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:10 pm

hare racer wrote:Thanks for the posts and info.So far the worst thing that has happened was taking of the tie rod to control arm bolts.One was seized solid,no amount of heat,oil,scaffold bar extensions or patience worked so I had to then take of the arm and drill it out a different size step up at a time. (Note expensive drill bits are essential).Today though I have changed the cambelt using my tried and tested slice it in half method so I don't lose the timing at all. I know most purists wont agree with that method.pictures for this project are on the rover 800 Facebook page as I still cannot upload them here.cheers
Nowt wrong with that method, it's especially useful when the tech info is hard to come by on older vehicles. If you haven't already though, I would recommend changing the tensioner and spring at the same time.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks tom,I will do that cheers,today I am going to change the gear rod linkages. (Hopefully)

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:47 pm

I managed to change the gear rod linkages today,it was a joy to do the only thing extra to do was put a wider washer on one of the heat shield bolts as it had broke through.

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:02 am

After a long delay Xmas and work related I shall be refitting my serviced engine and second hand gearbox today,I can't wait.

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Great news - hope you manage to take some pics along the way
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 pm

I wish I could put pictures on this site its been a very frustrating experience as I just come to a dead end with every link I try.so I put my pictures on the Facebook page instead.Why can it not be easier to put images on this site.Anyway the engine and box is in only wrecking a new oil filter in the process, so not so bad.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:52 pm

It is easy to put photos up - everyone else manages it! :) What "links" are you having trouble with?

Remember, this site does NOT host the photos themselves - they are hosted by Photobucket, Imageshack or whoever and you just copy and past the link they give you.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

hare racer

Post by hare racer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:58 am

The problem is that my laptop is nearly 10 years old and is knackered. It just won't do it and I can't afford another this side of Xmas. And my phone which is my preferred choice isnt capable enough to do it either, I have been told that I need a more powerful version but cannot upgrade until October. I will keep persevering though.