2.0 litre Sterling Coupe manual with cruise control

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: 2.0 litre Sterling Coupe manual with cruise control

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:41 pm

stanker wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:Was that the gold 820 SLi Ian? Nice car indeed but the big problem was the distance and the fact it was manual (i think?) but glad it went to a good home :D
Yes Dave, that's the one, I had to have it, it's got a personalised number plate, well!, personalised to me, according to my neighbours.

One of the rear passenger doors keeps locking itself, have you ever stripped a lock before?

Ian
Done a couple of locks/latches in the past Ian, long time ago though! Sounds like there is some restriction preventing the rear door unlocking completely or perhaps some grit or similar has got into the latch so it returns to the locked position.
I'd start by taking the door card off (carefully, i think there's a couple of hidden screws on the back one) and see if you can find any obstructions etc around the rods that operate it. The answer might be obvious when you get the door card off though.
I might have a spare rear door lock, is it left or right door?

Alucard7002 wrote:Never did get the 420 cruise working, all wired up and no luck.

I had kv6 825 cruise as well which is identical part numbers on the ECU

I will say that in both cases of the donor systems neither were confirmed working before I started but the likelyhood of both being dead is slim to none.

I think either the speed signal is out of range or there was something I missed in the wiring. I dont have to time or apace at the moment to play around with anything but next time I have a crack at it I'll let you know :-)

Love the non airbag dash on the coupe, after having the 827 with one going back into the 820 is annoying ! That shelf is so useful, usually my wallet from my back pocket goes there rather than sitting on it for a long journey.
Can't remember where i saw it but there's something odd about making sure you fit the brake pedal switch from the donor vehicle as well - you've not overlooked that have you Dusan?
I'm sure there's something else silly that would prevent it working as well, when i remember it i'll let you know.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:08 pm

IIRC had everything as per wiring diagram with the exception of 2 things

One was the 420 has a switched EARTH via mems where's the 825 has a permanent earth - I went for permanent

Brake switch clutch switch interface wiring, I had to fudge the 820 original brake light wiring to use the 420 connector (pin outs were swapped from memory)

Yes both clutch and brake switch from donor 420

Steering wheel switches from 420 with 825 housing (just in case resistors in series)

Also tried a test board with everything wired up mounted to a piece of MDF. Dad drove I fiddled.

Tried speed input from gearbox, speed in on speedo head, speed out on speedo head

Tried using steering wheel switches and another pair of bog standard microswitches just in case .

Every combination therein was attempted at various speeds from 30-70mph

No luck, project shelved for the time being, most likely I'll go aftermarket 'brain' and use the 420 actuator and switches as normal for an OEM look and feel.

Sorry I can't be of more help :-(
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:30 pm

Aftermarket brain (in fact a complete system but if you can get the OE Rover switches to wok then it'll be a nice conversion) :

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... se-Control

I'll try to remember to look up the brake switch wiring as i'm sure there's something unconventional about it - also the adjustment of the pedal switch needs to be right else although the brake lights may be off with the pedal "at rest" the cruise NC contacts may still be open. Could be worth bridging the brake and/or clutch switches just to make sure?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

stanker
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by stanker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
stanker wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:Was that the gold 820 SLi Ian? Nice car indeed but the big problem was the distance and the fact it was manual (i think?) but glad it went to a good home :D
Yes Dave, that's the one, I had to have it, it's got a personalised number plate, well!, personalised to me, according to my neighbours.

One of the rear passenger doors keeps locking itself, have you ever stripped a lock before?

Ian
Done a couple of locks/latches in the past Ian, long time ago though! Sounds like there is some restriction preventing the rear door unlocking completely or perhaps some grit or similar has got into the latch so it returns to the locked position.
I'd start by taking the door card off (carefully, i think there's a couple of hidden screws on the back one) and see if you can find any obstructions etc around the rods that operate it. The answer might be obvious when you get the door card off though.
I might have a spare rear door lock, is it left or right door?

Alucard7002 wrote:Never did get the 420 cruise working, all wired up and no luck.

I had kv6 825 cruise as well which is identical part numbers on the ECU

I will say that in both cases of the donor systems neither were confirmed working before I started but the likelyhood of both being dead is slim to none.

I think either the speed signal is out of range or there was something I missed in the wiring. I dont have to time or apace at the moment to play around with anything but next time I have a crack at it I'll let you know :-)

Love the non airbag dash on the coupe, after having the 827 with one going back into the 820 is annoying ! That shelf is so useful, usually my wallet from my back pocket goes there rather than sitting on it for a long journey.
Can't remember where i saw it but there's something odd about making sure you fit the brake pedal switch from the donor vehicle as well - you've not overlooked that have you Dusan?
I'm sure there's something else silly that would prevent it working as well, when i remember it i'll let you know.

Hi Dave.

It's the right door, immediately behind the drivers door, the car is a 1995 model.

Regards

Ian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:57 pm

I'll have a look, see what i can find Ian. Might pay to have the door card off first before condemning the latch just to make sure there's nothing jamming any of the rods etc first.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:I'll have a look, see what i can find Ian. Might pay to have the door card off first before condemning the latch just to make sure there's nothing jamming any of the rods etc first.
Hi Dave

I already had the door card off when I asked if you'd ever done a door latch.

The levers and the latch look ok, so it must be the central locking motor in the latch. The previous owner has only been using the keys to lock the car, not the fob, if I unlock the car with the key, three of the doors open and stay open, the offending door stays locked. If I open the doors with the key and pull the offending door handle at the same time, it opens, however, as soon as I close the door it's locked itself again. I was going to remove the latch and try and strip it down to see if there is a simple electrical problem I can fix, however, with my "workshop" being outside exposed to the elements, swapping it with a working one would make more sense.

Regards

Ian

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:46 am

stanker wrote: however, with my "workshop" being outside exposed to the elements, swapping it with a working one would make more sense.
Then pop over to me for lunch and we can play in my garage. Bring your own spares though as most of our 800 'might be useful oneday bits' have been useful! I've only got a spare XJ40 on hand these days
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:02 pm

stanker wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:I'll have a look, see what i can find Ian. Might pay to have the door card off first before condemning the latch just to make sure there's nothing jamming any of the rods etc first.
Hi Dave

I already had the door card off when I asked if you'd ever done a door latch.

The levers and the latch look ok, so it must be the central locking motor in the latch. The previous owner has only been using the keys to lock the car, not the fob, if I unlock the car with the key, three of the doors open and stay open, the offending door stays locked. If I open the doors with the key and pull the offending door handle at the same time, it opens, however, as soon as I close the door it's locked itself again. I was going to remove the latch and try and strip it down to see if there is a simple electrical problem I can fix, however, with my "workshop" being outside exposed to the elements, swapping it with a working one would make more sense.

Regards

Ian

Ah-ha!!! I didn't realise you were one step ahead of me Ian! Now you've addde a description of the symptoms, it sounds very much like the latch has seized internally.

In a short while i have to go and kick the local pharmacists butt (incompetent fool gave me the wrong painkillers, not just one box but all eight boxes!!! Won't bore you with the details, very painful story not only to endure, recount but probably to read as well!) and while i wait for him to put his mistake right i'll go to my garage and (hopefully) fire up the spares car (terrifies the neighbours but a C27 with no exhaust - not even a cat, sounds good! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: ) and pull it out then i can hopefully get at my stash of latches and remove the "24v" badge for midnite. I'll report back later, either by PM if i have a latch or on here if not.

My workshop is also al-fresco so i totally understand why things take some time, especially when other things are brought into the equation like not feeling up to doing much! Roberts offer of lunch and a play in his garage with some spares sounds good though - solves the weather problem at least!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Ian - good news and bad news! I got the rear latch mechanism out of the garage, brought it back home and was just about to send you a PM when it occurred to me i hadn't got the correct side!

I checked and sure enough, i've brought the left one back - doh!

Sure i saw a right one in there but it won't be today as the weather has turned psychotic - howling gales, torrential rain, cold enough to freeze the balls off a polar bear, never mind the brass monkey!

When the wind drops sometime soon (hopefully!) i'll be able to get the other one out as it's buried in a box in the back of the spares car, there are no doors on it so i couldn't just drive it out and climb in to the box without bits and pieces flying everywhere.

On another note - midnite, i retrieved the 24v badge in one piece so drop me a PM and we'll sort the details.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:37 pm

TheOldMan wrote:
stanker wrote: however, with my "workshop" being outside exposed to the elements, swapping it with a working one would make more sense.
Then pop over to me for lunch and we can play in my garage. Bring your own spares though as most of our 800 'might be useful oneday bits' have been useful! I've only got a spare XJ40 on hand these days
Hi Bob

Thank you very much for your kind offer, however, the car is now out of tax and mot, so I'll have to persevere with the cold and rain at home.
I've checked the door latches I bought from you many moons ago, they must have come off a 96/99 car, as they look like the ones still on the donor car, which is a 97 825 model. The door latches on this 1995 820 seem to have a different connector for the wiring harness, although I might try using the wiring off the donor car if the door latch fits.

Regards

Ian

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:40 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Ian - good news and bad news! I got the rear latch mechanism out of the garage, brought it back home and was just about to send you a PM when it occurred to me i hadn't got the correct side!

Sure i saw a right one in there but it won't be today as the weather has turned psychotic - howling gales, torrential rain, cold enough to freeze the balls off a polar bear, never mind the brass monkey!

When the wind drops sometime soon (hopefully!) i'll be able to get the other one out as it's buried in a box in the back of the spares car, there are no doors on it so i couldn't just drive it out and climb in to the box without bits and pieces flying everywhere.

On another note - midnite, i retrieved the 24v badge in one piece so drop me a PM and we'll sort the details.
Thanks Dave

There's no rush, any time Wednesday will do !

Regards

Ian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:58 pm

stanker wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:Ian - good news and bad news! I got the rear latch mechanism out of the garage, brought it back home and was just about to send you a PM when it occurred to me i hadn't got the correct side!

Thanks Dave

There's no rush, any time Wednesday will do !

Regards

Ian

OK, which wednesday do you have in mind? :wink: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:58 am

stanker wrote:
TheOldMan wrote:
Hi Bob

Thank you very much for your kind offer, however, the car is now out of tax and mot, so I'll have to persevere with the cold and rain at home.
I've checked the door latches I bought from you many moons ago, they must have come off a 96/99 car, as they look like the ones still on the donor car, which is a 97 825 model. The door latches on this 1995 820 seem to have a different connector for the wiring harness, although I might try using the wiring off the donor car if the door latch fits.

Regards

Ian

No problem.

Standing offer any time you need a second pair of hands.

Second pair of eyes and/or working back for lifting stuff would be a different kettle of fish though.
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.