My experience of replacing fuel filler neck

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My experience of replacing fuel filler neck

Post by mercedade » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:17 am

3pinplug wrote:Hi Adrian,

Just seen that you have resurrected my filler neck thread, with regard to the smell of fuel have you checked for a hole upon the inside of the rear wing, I had no idea it was there, it was only when I had removed the neck I could see it. Try that first if you haven't already but if you have a hole you will fill up and when you leave the petrol station smell fuelfor some way and have to open the window to try and clear the smell.

Regards
Mark
HI Mark - great shout and I've had a good look round. There is a hole which I shall be lashing up with fibreglass filler so that'll stop smells in the cabin for now.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:19 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Have a look at your seal Adrian - if it's hard and brittle, PM me your address and i'll make a seal and pop it in the post for you.
However, I'd be mad not to take you up on the offer Dave. I'm already on my second filler cap, fearing exactly what you describe, but it's made no discernible difference. However, the problem is obviously that secondhand caps are likely to be just as old as the one it's designed to replace I guess.

I'll PM you now.
Adrian

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:52 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Mark has just pointed out the bit i missed :oops: (thanks mate! :lol: ) about the fuel smell. There is something so simple and so often overlooked on the 800 as most people go straight for the filler neck (probably because that's what it usually is) but what do you remove every time you fill up with petrol? Besides money from your account that is! :lol:

The filler cap! On this cap is a seal made of some sort of butyl rubber, probably neoprene but whatever it's made from, it goes hard and brittle with age. When that happens, it doesn't seal properly allowing fumes to leak past.

Like the filler necks, they are NLA (unless anyone knows of another source?) so i bought a sheet of 3mm reinforced neoprene and the right sized wad-punch for the centre of the cap and now make my own. The outside edge of the seal isn't such a neat cut as the centre as i couldn't find the right size wad-punch at a sensible price so i use scissors to cut the outside.

Have a look at your seal Adrian - if it's hard and brittle, PM me your address and i'll make a seal and pop it in the post for you.
Hi Dave

I need a new seal, can I take advantage of your kind offer and PM you with my address?

Regards

Ian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Ian - PM me your details.

Adrian - got your details, thanks. Will be a day or two to find the neoprene shet as can't remember if it's in the shed or spare room.

Adrian & Ian - will reply properly later, apologies for the short answer now but shattered after today so off to bed soon.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Ian - still waiting for your address to post the seals out. Parking is a right royal, ocean going goat-f**k of a nightmare at my local PO and not made easier by the fact i can't walk far. As such i only want to make one trip to post the seals to you and Adrian and return a part kindly sent to me "on approval" by another member.

Apologies to both of you for the short reply on sunday night, i was just back from the BL Rally at Peterborough and absolutely shattered!

Took me a couple of days to find the neoprene sheet as it was in neither of the places i thought it was but i found it earlier and have made the seals. The outside of them is a little oversize as it's difficult to find the exact centre. You'll see what i mean when you fit it to the cap and can then trim it either with a Stanley knife or pair of strong, sharp kitchen (or similar) scissors.

Soon as i have the PM from Ian i'll get these in the post! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Dave, not a problem at all - thanks again for this. And don't forget to send me your PayPal details.
Adrian

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Dave - received here, many many thanks! I'll be fitting it today and then waiting for the first bit of hot weather as that's the only time I can smell it normally.

Great stuff, thanks very much
Adrian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:30 pm

You're very welcome Adrian, glad it got there safe and sound!

Now both you and Ian have them, perhaps you could both give me some long-term feedback on them please?

I'm looking at making a cutter to cut both the inner and outer at the same time so that A) they'll be concentric and no need for trimming (like you pair have had to do) and B) so they will be a "Merchantable Quality".

It's only an idea i'm toying with and let's face it, i'll never retire on the proceeds but i'm trying to build up a range of products that wear out like these seals, suspension bushes etc that are no longer available through other sources (or perhaps only the front part is where the front and back are needed) so that we don't see 800's being scrapped for the sake of a NLA bush or something silly.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:00 am

Hi Dave,

Just to update on this - I fitted the replacement seal after a tiny bit of trimming on the outer edge and it fitted perfectly. Particularly encouraging as my filler neck is actually apparently from a Maestro.

I fill up significantly less than I used to, so it's taken a while to get a proper impression of this but:

I now get an encouraging "pppssshh" when I release the cap to fill up - great news and suggests the seal is perfect
I still have a very slight fuel smell, particularly when a window is open, but I'm convinced the smell is still present outside the car suggesting it can't be entirely down to fuel smells creeping into the cabin via any holes. Unless of course I'm just imagining it now, but I don't think so.

My fuel neck is perfect, so it looks like I'll be heading back to the plan outlined earlier:

Replace/remove fuel vapour loop and then, if that doesn't work, consider dropping the tank and checking the remaining pipework and/or condition of the tank.

Not particularly looking forward to it.
Adrian

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:44 am

So the vacuum 'pssshhh' didn't last too long, but it is now back

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10156&p=131504#p131504

Not much fun, but well worth doing
Adrian

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:51 pm

mrpcpc wrote:At some point in the future I'm going to remove the tank and install a gas one in its place.

In the good old days of four star I would fill my tank to the brim and get around 450 miles to a tank of petrol.

Now I rarely fill it up. On top of that the bang for your buck is nothing like the old four star along with the price. This is the reason why I have a gas conversion. It starts on petrol but switches over almost immediately without stalling.

As this is the case, I though why have a large fuel tank in the way when a gas tank can sit in its place and then have a smaller petrol tank made for the minimal amount of petrol needed for starting and worst case for warming up.

Just a thought aT he moment as my spare time tends to be limited these days.

I had considered this as well as I have ~10l of petrol in the tank at the moment, bearing in mind I still haven't filled up with petrol since 2014...

Amazingly it still starts and runs for the 25s needed on 6 month old probably oxidised petrol. 250 mile range on LPG is rather irritating. A 10l "jerry can" slung underneath next to a ~50l water capacity toroidal tank and a 77l tank in the wheel well should see a 410+ mile range at 24mpg or just shy of 500 miles at 30mpg. It's on my "One day when I win the lottery" type list!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B