My experience of replacing fuel filler neck

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

3pinplug
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My experience of replacing fuel filler neck

Post by 3pinplug » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi Dave
When you get the tank get a length of the original volvo hose coming out the bottom of the tank as it is 19mm internal diameter and the exisitng rover one will be 16mm internal diameter, you will also need a 19mm - 16mm hose reducer, i got mine off e-bay as none of the local arts places had any. That is the only extra joint you need to put in the system the small hose from the thermostat reaches the new tank ok.

Thanks for the info on the backflushin , i haven;y done one for years so found it particurlary useful as i am sure others will, assuming that later rovers dont have the blled bolt in the system somewhere do they, would make it so mauch easier.

Thanks again

Regards

Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Same fitting as the tank i've got then - thanks Mark.

Surprised you couldn't get a 19-16mm (3/4-5/8") reducer in a local factors, most of them keep them on the Pearly Wotnots stand.
Also plumbing places often have them, Wilkos and even a few pet stores/garden centres as they're very often used in water features, air/water pumps for aquatic things (fish, frogs etc) and even compressor suppliers/service agents have them too for joining air hose - come to think of it i always intended to upgrade mine to a steel one but never got round to it!

You're welcome about the flushing info, i deliberately didn't mention the bleed nipples as i've usually had bad experiences using them, particularly on vehicles where that is the "recommended" method. My method on the other hand seems to work for those as well which is why i stick to it.
Not sure if later Rovers have the bleed nipples or not but even if they do i would leave them alone. Entirely up to you, whichever you find works best at the time.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:30 pm

mrpcpc wrote: Your next mission is to drop the tank and replace the steel pipes on top of it. might be best if you grease up the two strap studs for a week or so as they can be a pain to get undone.
Also invest in shares in WD40 and one of these hollow drive socket sets
- not cheeap but i'd guarantee you'll wish you had if you don't!

I've not done an 800 tank but i have done a 420 GSi and many moons ago, a Mk3 Cortina, bothof which use almost identical mounting methods to the 800. My 420 GSi was dark blue and by the time i'd finished the job, so was the air round it! :evil: Luckily when i did the Cortina, i didn't know so many naughty words! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

3pinplug
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 3pinplug » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:07 am

Hi All

Unfortunately not long after replacing the fuel filler neck the head gasket went on the car and as my daily driver and with over 200K on the clock my pride and joy ended up in the breakers yard. I took off as many bits as I could and am slowly listing them on here so other owners can keep theres going.

I am still a Rover owner and have moved onto a V6 Rover 75 but my old green Rover 800 Sli will always be a hard act to follow.

Regards

Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:41 am

Didn't realise you had a 75 V6 now Mark - have a look at this thread on an 825 with cutting out problems - most of the stuff about the Cam and Crank Position sensors will apply to your 75. Additionally you have the inherent fuel filter problem on the 75 and if you have the chrome waist mouldings on yours, you could have a soggy boot too! Simple fix - undo the mounting nuts and renew the rubber washers on the back of the chrome strips.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

3pinplug
Regular Visitor

Post by 3pinplug » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info, just had a read of the thread very interesting stuff indeed!!

Not sure I fully understand the fuel filter issue, do I just simply need to replace the fuel filter? I have read about a fuel pump issue and a mod that can be done, also it is recommended not to go below 1/4 of a tank otherwise that can start the pump issue.

Also can you pm me your address and I get the bits all boxed up.

Regards

Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi Mark - on the 75's apparently what happens is the fuel filter "unscrews" itself. There's a mod that i believe involves a modified clip and a self-tapper detailed somewhere on one (or more) of the 75 forums. As i understand it, if/when the fuel filter unscrews itself it diverts the output back to the tank leaving no pressure in the fuel line. It's under the rear seat on the left and the tank and sender unit/pump is on the right.
Some replacement filters come with the modified clips, others don't. Might be worth checking to see if someone has already done the mod on yours as i think it became a service replacement item.

As for the other bit - thanks for the reminder! :D I knew there was something i needed to do but just couldn't think of it! :oops:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:43 pm

3pinplug wrote:INTERESTING DISCOVERY!!!
The four small pipes on the filler neck DO NOT need to be part of the filler neck and could simply be made from some steel tubing, mine was knackered so i took opportunity to cut the tube open and see what was inside will post pic later.

The two small 5mm diameter fingers are joined together and you can see the loop return at the top of the bit fixed to the filler, the other two are not they appear to just be single tubes.

So you would only need to source a filler neck with a breather pipe (fairly standard on most cars) and cut the down part of the pipe to length with the other bits being able to be made up separately and then say carefully jubilee clipped to the filler pipe. If you have a flaring kit and pipe benders your sorted.

This suggestion may have already been discovered but thought i'd post anyway.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Just after a bit of advice, hence the thread resurrection...

My filler neck has been replaced in the past with one from a Maestro (I believe) and I took it off a few months ago because I think I can smell petrol. I had it out, cleaned up , made sure it was sound and covered it in hammerite before putting it all back.

However, the petrol smell is still around and my next stop is to try and do something about the vapour pipes which have remained. I haven't as yet tried to take them out because I've currently got nothing to replace them with, although I did slap a fair amount of hammerite around just to be sure.

I've tried to follow Dave's post on here: http://www.rovertech.net/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=116200 but want to check that, provided I keep the pairs paired, I could replace them with fuel hose.

If I understand it correctly, the larger ones (which are 5mm internal diameter) are the fuel return pipes, collecting and returning vapour which has condensed having initially vented from the smaller (4mm) pipes. With this in mind, I would connect the 4mm on one side with the 5mm on the other (and vice-versa). The loop, which I would maintain, is what turns the vapour into back into fuel.

So I would need:

Approx 4m of 5mm fuel hose
2 x 5mm/5mm pipe connectors
2 x 4mm/4mm pipe reducing connectors
Appropriate jubilee clips.

Does that sound right, or the ravings of a simpleton?
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Adrian,

it doesn't sound right but neither does it sound like the ravings of a simpleton. Firstly the pipe sizes - 3/16" aka 4mm (actually about 4.5mm but who's being fussy?) and the larger one is 1/4" aka 6.35mm. This simple change in numbers will make your life much easier when you come to do the job!

Secondly, if you look closely at the diagram of the vapour separator tubes on the bottom of page 1 of the RT thread, you'll see the larger tube in each siamesed pair has flared ends to help with recovering the condensed fuel. While these probably do very little, my thoughts are they must be there for a reason so if you can, try to maintain this flare somehow. Perhaps have the 1/4" end of the 1/4 x 3/16 reducer uppermost then loop the 3/16 pipe up and over the top to recreate (as near as possible) the way the original does it.

Alternatively, have a look at page 10 of my coupe thread, where i replaced the fuel filler neck with a stainless steel filler, some marine fuel hose and various odd bits and pieces - total cost about £60 for a fit and forget job!

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... &start=135

Hopefully that link will take you to page 10 of it - it's about time i updated it really but things have been strange with the coupe of late!

Good luck with your fuel filler mods, be nice to see some pics and a write up after!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Don't forget that there are several small bore pipes sandwiched between the tank and boot floor. They are prone to rusting out.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Arguably they could be replaced with rubber hose instead Richard?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Richard Moss wrote:Don't forget that there are several small bore pipes sandwiched between the tank and boot floor. They are prone to rusting out.
This is beginning to strike me as a thoroughly miserable job in the offing. Bah.

With the absence of leaks, and only a non-specific occasional smell, it's got the potential to be an absolutely ballache of a treasure hunt.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

3pinplug
Regular Visitor

Post by 3pinplug » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi Adrian,

Just seen that you have resurrected my filler neck thread, with regard to the smell of fuel have you checked for a hole upon the inside of the rear wing, I had no idea it was there, it was only when I had removed the neck I could see it. Try that first if you haven't already but if you have a hole you will fill up and when you leave the petrol station smell fuelfor some way and have to open the window to try and clear the smell.

Regards
Mark

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Arguably they could be replaced with rubber hose instead Richard?
That would be my thoughts
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Mark has just pointed out the bit i missed :oops: (thanks mate! :lol: ) about the fuel smell. There is something so simple and so often overlooked on the 800 as most people go straight for the filler neck (probably because that's what it usually is) but what do you remove every time you fill up with petrol? Besides money from your account that is! :lol:

The filler cap! On this cap is a seal made of some sort of butyl rubber, probably neoprene but whatever it's made from, it goes hard and brittle with age. When that happens, it doesn't seal properly allowing fumes to leak past.

Like the filler necks, they are NLA (unless anyone knows of another source?) so i bought a sheet of 3mm reinforced neoprene and the right sized wad-punch for the centre of the cap and now make my own. The outside edge of the seal isn't such a neat cut as the centre as i couldn't find the right size wad-punch at a sensible price so i use scissors to cut the outside.

Have a look at your seal Adrian - if it's hard and brittle, PM me your address and i'll make a seal and pop it in the post for you.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate