Scoobys new 827 Sterling coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Scoobys new 827 Sterling coupe

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:17 pm

That's a good idea Mark, i considered it but decided to leave it as designed, for the time being at least.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Well after getting the economy on the LPG up to 25mpg and nothing but routine maintenance, the Coupé had a wee let-down. Quite literally in fact!

The steel coolant pipe that runs underneath from left to right sprang a pin-hole leak. When i say pin-hole, more of a needle hole really. Dusan kindly made me a replacement out of 15mm domestic copper pipe with a fitting each end to provide the "swages" the hose grips when the Jubilee clips are tightened.

All painted up prior to fitting and while i was tinkering with the cooling system i decided it would be a good opportunity to change the expansion tank for a Volvo one.

Again prior to fitting and the hose extensions will need trimming to fit. For some unknown reason i can't find the brackets that i bought from Volvo at the moment so it's sitting by itself with a couple of cable ties holding it in roughly the right position.

All fitted and holding water, i did put some antifreeze in but before winter i'll have to check the concentration and bring it up where it should be. It's due a coolant change anyway but not until next year! :roll:

On the metal pipe side, i need to make some stand-offs for the P-clips to hold the pipe in position - again a cable tie is serving temporary duty in that respect!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

austinpowers
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by austinpowers » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:06 pm

I remember replacing the lower pipe on my old 96 vitesse with a copper pipe, managed to get away with just the straight pipe.

Can you not leave the old pipe in in place on the subframe and cable tie the new pipe to it?
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Not enough space Andy - that was my first thought as well. I've found some stand-offs (Toolstation M8 connector nuts, about 30mm long) just need some M8 studding or a couple of short lengths cut from an M8 bolt to fit them now and to enlarge the mounting holes in the P-clips.
When i have the energy i'll drill the clips out, cut some lengths of a bolt and get the clips fitted. I also need to look at fitting an auxiliary ATF cooler as the pipes for that aren't in great shape, they've already been repaired twice and they repair is seeping fluid. :roll:
It's been on my list with a magnetic filter in the return line for a while now so not as if i hadn't planned to do it for a long time. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am

Good to hear the pipe fits!

This winter I'd like to have amassed a collection of broken 800 coolant, power steering, oil and auto gearbox pipes.

Given enough determination with my set of pipe benders I can make up some Jigs and Make to Order copper replacements.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:50 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Not enough space Andy - that was my first thought as well. I've found some stand-offs (Toolstation M8 connector nuts, about 30mm long) just need some M8 studding or a couple of short lengths cut from an M8 bolt to fit them now and to enlarge the mounting holes in the P-clips.
When i have the energy i'll drill the clips out, cut some lengths of a bolt and get the clips fitted. I also need to look at fitting an auxiliary ATF cooler as the pipes for that aren't in great shape, they've already been repaired twice and they repair is seeping fluid. :roll:
It's been on my list with a magnetic filter in the return line for a while now so not as if i hadn't planned to do it for a long time. :wink: :D
What about those rubber isolator mountings? I'm sure Tom will know where to buy them from ;-)

Just another idea :lol:
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Alucard7002 wrote:Good to hear the pipe fits!

This winter I'd like to have amassed a collection of broken 800 coolant, power steering, oil and auto gearbox pipes.

Given enough determination with my set of pipe benders I can make up some Jigs and Make to Order copper replacements.
Apart from the PAS fluid cooler (might put my order in for that!) i think the main ones are going to be coolant pipes. The gearbox pipes really only exist on the 827 and possibly the 825 KV6 (not sure - i know on the 820 the ATF cooler is built into the bearbox and has rubber hoses feeding coolant round it! :roll: ) and believe it or not, they use an old UNF or similar fitting to connect to the radiator, same size as the SD1 Rovers in fact. I daresay this was a historic throwback as Honda used the same rad in the Legends whether manual or auto and a separate ATF cooler, this one in fact :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... OJ9VXDTSL6

I think later Honda went to the integrated radiator/ATF cooler, probably for cost reasons.

Thanks again for the pipe anyway! :wink: :D
Alucard7002 wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:Not enough space Andy - that was my first thought as well. I've found some stand-offs (Toolstation M8 connector nuts, about 30mm long) just need some M8 studding or a couple of short lengths cut from an M8 bolt to fit them now and to enlarge the mounting holes in the P-clips.
What about those rubber isolator mountings? I'm sure Tom will know where to buy them from ;-)

Just another idea :lol:
Got a bag of them in the little shed! Slight problem, they are 5/16" UNF, same as the Mini exhaust hanger bobbins. :roll: Trying to find ones with an M8 thread is nigh on impossible for some reason, or at least was when i needed them. It was also cheaper to buy a bag of however many than half a dozen singly.

I'm going to use these things :

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws ... Nut/p86819

Bit of M8 studding/cut-down M8 bolt in one end with some Loctite, drill out the mounting holes in the P-clips and use the original M8 flange bolts - those connector nuts are about 30mm long which is about right to offset the pipe from the cross member. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate