backflushing heater matrix

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: backflushing heater matrix

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 am

1: no
2: no
3: yes - but any MLS (Multi Layer Steel) gasket should do. Elring/Klinger are best known. Gasket sets are available on ebay
4: no you don't and no they're not. Wire brush the threads clean and give them a very thin oiling before refitting as this will help get the correct torque settings on the bolts.

If you don't have a workshop manual or access to the RAVE CD get one. They're good value and the Haynes manual is fine.

I don't think that there's a full head gasket swap guide on the forum yet but the timing belt information in the Engines section will be good value. My Jaguar head swap photos may give some general guidance too.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

3pinplug
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 3pinplug » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:06 pm

ok thanks Richard i'll have a bit fo a read up and look on e-bay for the kit.

Many thanks

Regards

Mark

Bert3
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bert3 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:59 pm

3pinplug wrote:
2. Do I need the locking tool to lock the pulleys up?
Mark
Before dismantling, with the pulleys lined up, insert a 5-6mm steel rod (screw driver or even a drill bit will do) into the flywheel to lock that up .... then the pistons are locked halfway down the bore so you wont bend any valves if you move the camshafts during refitting to line them up again.

Remember cams move at half crank speed so if they are lined up but you can't insert a steel rod, you're probably 180 deg out - just rotate cams through another 360 degrees and the rod will fit through.

Good luck ....

3pinplug
Regular Visitor

Post by 3pinplug » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi all
Wont be doing the head gasket after all been offered a 2.0l V6 Rover at a price I cant say no too so will be posting the rover in the for sale ads as may break or sell whole if someone wants to do the head, will see what interest like. Thanks again to all those who posted.

Mark

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 am

Is that a 45 or 75 that you're getting? Don't forget to tell us all about it
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT