Shaun's Vitesse

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Shaun's Vitesse

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:13 pm

That's incredibly bad service from Autoglass! Like many others they are the first choice of my insurers so i'm pretty much tied to them like you were. However if (hopefully this won't happen) i do need a windscreen, i'll phone my insurers and tell them of your horror story and get them to agree to a different supplier from the off.
They seem to have the monopoly on windscreens as far as insurance companies go which these days isn't the norm for most things - it's a bit like BT having the monopoly on phone lines before they opened up the competition.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Slamm
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Slamm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:03 pm

traineefarmer wrote:Funny you should mention windscreens. I had a chat with Pilkington Classics at the NEC show and they list the 800 front screen as a "stock" screen, so there should be no supply issues. They also have all the patterns for every triplex glass ever made and can make them all to order, albeit at considerable cost for a one-off.
Ironically the new windscreen had a big sticker on it "Pilkington".
Auto Windscreens even gave me a choice of different colour tinted sun strip or non at all. I think I was being fobbed off by Autoglass
CHR15E wrote:Good to see you about mate, hope things are good your way?

Seems like a lifetime ago since seeing your car at Sherwood, glad to see it's serving you well. :)
Things are OK thanks Chris, never enough car time though. Hope you and the family are well.

Sherwood does seem a bit of a distant memory now, 10-11 years maybe :shock: where did that go?
scoobyh123 wrote:That's incredibly bad service from Autoglass!.
Considering I found a few suppliers local to me with windscreens in stock, yes pretty poor. I was prepared to wait the first time, but then being given another date and the car now out of MOT, told them to stick it.

Nice bloke from Auto Windscreens, had a bit of a chat, said it must be at least 10-12 years since he'd done a Rover 800.

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:12 pm

My view is either they can get it or they can't. If they can get it and there's a wait, it shouldn't be more than a few days, not a few weeks then come out with some cowshed confetti excuse like it's still being made!

I wonder what Pilkington would tell you if you phoned up tomorrow and asked for a lead time on a Rover 800 windscreen? Might be interesting to find out! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by deano » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Funny enough , my 827 has a broken windscreen.
My fault I was trying to get a large length of wood in and then when I shut the hatch it pushed it against the screen and cracked it

Anyway, Footman James insurance put me on to National Windscreens who said they have them in stock and asked weather it had a top tint or not.

Haven't had the time to get it done yet though.
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:01 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:I wonder what Pilkington would tell you if you phoned up tomorrow and asked for a lead time on a Rover 800 windscreen? Might be interesting to find out! :wink: :D
The lady on the Pilky classics stand checked their live stock for me. They have plenty. I was surprised because I was sure that there was word floating around on this forum once that a cracked windscreen could write off your 800. With AutoArse's attitude, that could be why... :x
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:58 pm

traineefarmer wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:I wonder what Pilkington would tell you if you phoned up tomorrow and asked for a lead time on a Rover 800 windscreen? Might be interesting to find out! :wink: :D
The lady on the Pilky classics stand checked their live stock for me. They have plenty. I was surprised because I was sure that there was word floating around on this forum once that a cracked windscreen could write off your 800. With AutoArse's attitude, that could be why... :x
There was indeed a rumour to that effect Tom - perhaps it was specific to coupé rear screens or perhaps fastback rear screens. Fairly certain the front screen is common across the range though.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Have had this cluttering my shed up for a while

It was last on my Sterling years ago

Had a bit of spare time at the weekend so did some measuring up and it just happened to be the right length to join to the Mongoose centre section. Just had to make an adaptor to join the two together but can easily swap back to the Mongoose rear section.

It needs a bit of tweaking, the tail pipes aren't quite straight and I might open up the box's to see whats in them as its a bit vocal, but i'm sure the neighbours will like it :roll:

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Shaun you weren't in the artillery were you by any chance, they like things LOUD!!!
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Only a bit vocal? That's no good, it should bark like an escape committee from Battersea! :lol:

Joking aside, does it drone at any point through the rev range? I ask that because i had a Mongoose (or something similar) on my coupé for a while and it droned horrendously, made the car thirsty and gutless - you get the idea.

It turned out the system was designed for the 2.0 turbo so Tom (traineefarmer) and i came to a deal where he provided me a standard 2.7 system in exchange for the Mongoose or whatever it was. As far as i know he's happy with it, it's improved performance, no droning etc so i wonder if putting what appears to be a 2.7 duplex system on a 2.0 turbo would have any problems.

Looks bloody good though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 pm

rovercoup wrote:Shaun you weren't in the artillery were you by any chance, they like things LOUD!!!
:lol: I was in the RAF, they made me deaf in one ear. Could explain it.
scoobyh123 wrote: Joking aside, does it drone at any point through the rev range? :D
The twin exit used to make your ears bleed on the Honda 2.7, just between 50-70mph. Sounded good in sport mode with the windows open, but cruising at motorway speeds was painfull.

Not had much of a drive with it on the Vitesse yet. First impression is a little louder but deeper than the Mongoose back box, if that's possible.
I will take the Wife for a drive in it then see how much paracetamol she has to take afterwards :wink:

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Slamm wrote:
rovercoup wrote:Shaun you weren't in the artillery were you by any chance, they like things LOUD!!!
:lol: I was in the RAF, they made me deaf in one ear. Could explain it.

Ah RAF, that makes sense now. Standing next to Tornado's on start up will do that to you :lol: Oh and of course your friendly drill instructor :wink:
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Slamm wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote: Joking aside, does it drone at any point through the rev range? :D
The twin exit used to make your ears bleed on the Honda 2.7, just between 50-70mph. Sounded good in sport mode with the windows open, but cruising at motorway speeds was painfull.

Not had much of a drive with it on the Vitesse yet. First impression is a little louder but deeper than the Mongoose back box, if that's possible.
I will take the Wife for a drive in it then see how much paracetamol she has to take afterwards :wink:

Shaun
Exactly the experience i had with the Mongoose or whatever it was on the coupé. Maybe you should invest in some Smarties aka Ibuprofen for after Mrs Shauns test run! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 am

scoobyh123 wrote:It turned out the system was designed for the 2.0 turbo so Tom (traineefarmer) and i came to a deal where he provided me a standard 2.7 system in exchange for the Mongoose or whatever it was. As far as i know he's happy with it, it's improved performance, no droning etc
Compared to the thing that came off my coupe, it doesn't drone. In fact if you are gentle (not easy in a tuned vitesse) it is quiet and almost refined. Get yer foot down and it REALLY shouts though!! :lol:

Any noise that you hear in the car seems to be coming from the tailpipes, rather than resonance from the system itself as was the case on scooby's 827 and the old system on my car. It seems the design and engineering on an aftermarket system is vital to its refinement.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Not been using the Vitesse a great deal over winter, mainly because of all the crap thats spread on the roads during the extremely severe weather we don't get :roll:
A quick half hour drive leaves the car looking like this

So to rectify the lack of use I have booked it on the ferry to France in June for a road trip to the Le Mans 24 hour (only spectating).
I last went in the Vitesse in 2009.
In preparation a bit of servicing is required, so a few bits and pieces were ordered

Cambelt and tensioner already done at the weekend. The old one not too bad just a bit of pitting on the wheel surface

A little mod inside the car as well, in the form of a usb socket

They need to put another sticker on the socket as it fits Rover 800's as well

Just moved the sunroof switch across to the drivers side and with a little bit of filing clicked straight in. That's the phone and sat nav sorted.

Water pump next on the list

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback