Shaun's Vitesse

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Shaun's Vitesse

Post by rovercoup » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:27 am

Sorry Shaun I should explained myself better.

It is the weird nuts around 10mm that bolt the down pipe flange to the turbo flange. The nuts are near welded tight from the heat of the exhaust and in some cases quite corroded. I was wondering if you used a multi splined socket because the back and near impossible to get to with a socket and have the right amount of leverage.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Slamm
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Slamm » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 am

Yes they can be a pain. I've probably been fortunate as a good dose of Plusgas and a ring spanner has always worked for me. Leave it to soak for a while usually does it.

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 am

rovercoup wrote:Sorry Shaun I should explained myself better.

It is the weird nuts around 10mm that bolt the down pipe flange to the turbo flange. The nuts are near welded tight from the heat of the exhaust and in some cases quite corroded. I was wondering if you used a multi splined socket because the back and near impossible to get to with a socket and have the right amount of leverage.
Have you seen this Steve?

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14215

It works seriously well and works out about half the price of WD40 with less being needed as well. If that doesn't shift those nuts i'll be very surprised! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Slamm wrote:Water pump done, pretty straight forward on the T series even with the Turbo. A right sod to get the air out after re filling, took quite a bit of squeezing the coolant pipes. n
IIRC the t series self bleeds so its not necessary?
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:19 am

I've been to Le Mans.

Well, i've driven down the Mulsanne straight in my Vitesse Coupé on honeymoon at 140Mph. Did 3 laps of as much as you can do on the open road. Sooo much fun, and well over the speed limit most of the way.

We stayed in a small Gité in Mezeray for a week. Went to Paris for the day one day, then drove across france to Morzine in the Rhone Alps for 3 days, then came home.

Lots of 'spirited' driving, several thousand miles, and big grins from both of us.

If you ever get the chance, drive the circuit when the roads arent closed :)
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 am

That sounds like a lot of fun! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 pm

Kyle wrote:
Slamm wrote:Water pump done, pretty straight forward on the T series even with the Turbo. A right sod to get the air out after re filling, took quite a bit of squeezing the coolant pipes. n
IIRC the t series self bleeds so its not necessary?
Thats what I thought, just couldn't get enough coolant back in to start with.
Nuts4my827 wrote:I've been to Le Mans.

Well, i've driven down the Mulsanne straight in my Vitesse Coupé on honeymoon at 140Mph. Did 3 laps of as much as you can do on the open road. Sooo much fun, and well over the speed limit most of the way.

We stayed in a small Gité in Mezeray for a week. Went to Paris for the day one day, then drove across france to Morzine in the Rhone Alps for 3 days, then came home.

Lots of 'spirited' driving, several thousand miles, and big grins from both of us.

If you ever get the chance, drive the circuit when the roads arent closed :)
Always have a drive down the public road sections of the track on Friday before they close them. Will be down Mulsanne for a while on mad Friday. I have some film of the Vitesse doing the Mulsanne straight a few years ago, see if i can find it

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 pm

Lol. Lets both upload. Mine has a soundtrack from the car stereo. My mates band. ;)

There is a vid on Youtube of me cracking 100K miles
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Thought it about time under the bonnet should have a tidy up, spot the difference

Probably a bit more noticeable with the cover off

Also a few service items changed

Can't believe the difference the Iridium spark plugs have made, power a lot smoother with no hesitation or misfiring, just push the pedal and hang on. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Nice job - you cleaned it too! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:23 am

I'm with you on the iridium plugs. I was warned against them by some people, but they really do make a difference, especially at raised boost levels.

To get the best from them you should consider uprated leads too.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Iridium's were essential on my V70R. It wouldn't run on regular plugs at more than half throttle without missing​.

Good to see your car looking so well. :)
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm

traineefarmer wrote:I'm with you on the iridium plugs. I was warned against them by some people, but they really do make a difference, especially at raised boost levels.

To get the best from them you should consider uprated leads too.
I think it may have been one of your posts a while back Tom that made me try them (fuelling, misfiring issues).
Been out for a drive today and still can't believe what a difference it's made. Didn't think it was too bad before but the power now much quicker and smoother, don't seem to have to try as hard.
CHR15E wrote: Good to see your car looking so well. :)
Cheers, it's not bad as long as you don't get too close :D

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:23 pm

I have been running around for a week or two with some ATF in the engine oil so thought it about time to replace it and change the filter.

Ah.......it seems I have been using the wrong filter. During my ownership of the car I have never had one this big before. Numerous oil and filter changes over the years, always got a filter from the Factors and its always been the same size (NASP?) Think my oil capacity is more than before :oops:

Also took the Vitesse for a run to Leeds on Saturday. Second Saturday of the month is Leeds cruise, a gathering of mainly American cars though anything is welcome.
Came back to my car to find this small compact just parking next to me

Nearly there

Bags of room

Sounded nearly as good as the Vitesse :roll:

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Looking good Shaun!

Only just caught up with your thread, I too can highly recommend the Iridium plugs.

I have the LPG versions for my 820, bigger spark gap to help light off the gas.

Only downside is that coil packs only last ~15-20k with the added load on them. I have the Magnecor leads too which helped an awful lot!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B