Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Post by tonewheeldude » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:30 am

So far its not going so smooth with ththe shock absorber order from autodoc.co.uk. They sent me an email saying the parts were out of stock and suggest equivelents 4 times the price or the option to wait another 48 hours for stocks to arrive. I emailed back confiming I would be prepared to wait. Have another email asking me to telephone them to confirm the order. All seems a bit odd.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I'd tell them to refund my money and stuff my order then go elsewhere. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I have had this countless times recently, particularly with exhaust and brake parts on fleabay (but that's not just another story, i could write a book on that!) where the parts are listed, i've ordered and paid then had an email saying they're out of stock and/or would i ring them to discuss alternative options.
A set of brake discs (the right size/thickness etc) changed from £30 delivered to well over £130 with a 3 week lead time despite the ones i'd ordered being in stock - allegedly they were incorrect for my car! Hmmm, WRONG!!! I asked for the refund and then found a pair of NOS brake discs (same sizes etc) for £20 delivered, sold as clearance, bought them, arrived a few days later and were duly fitted with no size problems. Similar on exhaust bits, listed the bits on ebay so i ordered them then had the email. Phoned up, no we haven't got it in stock, we can get one but it's gone from £81 delivered to £297 + delivery + this + that and all in is nearly £500.

Did have a couple of similar things with one or two shocks recently but they were simply "sorry, we've sold them through the shop, will be deleting the listing and here's your money back as we won't be getting any more in" - bit more believable as an honest mistake than the others!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tonewheeldude » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Looks like you were right Dave. Its now two weeks since the initial order and just received this from http://www.autodoc.co.uk:

"The Shock Absorbers MM-00456 JAPANPARTS and MM-00457 JAPANPARTS you have ordered will be available within 3 weeks. In case it is too long for you to wait , please, provide us with the full car information in order for us to find 100% alternative of a good quality and compatible part for your vehicle. We also need: The Registration Number (If your vehicle has been registered in UK), Chassis Number/Vehicle Identification Number(Commonly know as the VIN Code — 17 characters, digits and letter all together), Engine Potential, Engine Power (expressed in HP/PS/KW), Body Type, Body Model, Engine Code, Engine Number and the Year Of The Manufacture as well. The aforementioned/requested information you can find in Log Book or Driver's License. If you also have Original Part Numbers (OEN) from car maker please provide it."

Needless to say I wont be recommending Autodoc to the Rover 800 community.

Edit: http://www.sparepartstore24.co.uk/ are the same company

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:15 am

Sadly i think a lot of suppliers will end up like that. The simple reason is as 800 spares become more and more scarce, more and more suppliers will be unable to get parts and the less "honourable" suppliers will pounce on this and use it to their advantage to create short massive profits.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:19 pm

I used AutoDoc recently for the clutch slave cylinder, and been getting similar responses from their team based in Germany. Non of which I can honestly say were helpful as much as I like to think positively. I feel much of what I asked the advisors was lost in translation, and it's helpful to have workers who understand/interpret a fairly decent level of English concerning technical details in whatever field this may be.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:53 pm

A few years back i started a thread about alternative and second-source parts supplies, parts which are shared with other vehicles. It's a pity we can't find any other vehicles that share the clutch slave cylinder, for a start it could be added to the thread and second make your lives easier with finding one!
Same goes for shocks and springs etc.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:42 pm

For the slave cylinder, I am still running on the one with the Land Rover seals in - its been over a year and still fine. I do have a new one in the boot just in case though :)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Any chance you can add the Land Rover part numbers, description, what mods if any needed to fit etc on this thread please Darren?

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11934

That should be the "Second Source Parts Supply" thread i was on about. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:40 pm

Its proving difficult to extract a refund from Autodoc. They keep sending emails asking us to confim this or that. Telephoned them yesterday again and the guy said it might be another 8 days. I told him to do the refund straight away and he said hopefully the money will be back in our account in 3 working days....but I am having doubts. Will give it until next Wednesday before taking it to the next level.

On a happier note I found a pair of boxed NOS Genuine rear shock absorbers for the car for £39.99 in total - they are on. I am dissapointed I did not get to fit gas shocks, but I could not resist them at that price. Have taken measurements and will keep the old ones.

Also replaced the speedo sender unit bought from Rimmers in the sale (reduced from £80 ish to £35 ish). So far so god.

Also fittted a new clamp as there was a slight blow on the exhaust after catching it on a rock whilst green laning :)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:04 pm

You should be able to get a refund from your credit card company or bank if you used either of those options or from Paypal if you used that.

If you feel they are stalling you then go direct to your card issuer/Paypal and start the ball rolling to reclaim your money. This lets them know you intend to pursue it so most dodgy places give in quickly, if not the card issuer or Paypal refunds you anyway and then gets it back from them.

Good news on the rear shocks, something in the back of my mind says the standard rear shocks were gas anyway. Better news on the speedo too!

As for green laning, just because you've got the same engine as a Jeep Cherokee and washer pump as a Range Rover doesn't mean you have the same ground clearance or 4WD capability! :wink: :lol: Lucky it was only a clamp and you didn't damage the exhaust more! I've had a whole catalogue of catastrophes with the exhaust on my Volvo because of various things round here but mainly speed humps from hell and an incorrectly lowered 4-post ramp in ATS after they had "amended" the wheel alignment.

Safest bet is avoid potholes, speed humps and terrain more suited to Challenger tanks! :wink: :D

Out of interest, does the Rangey washer pump provide more pressure as standard or is it the same? Probably supplies more pressure even if it is the same as standard because it's new obviously but was it appreciably more? :?:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:47 pm

views like this do come at a cost I guess :)

I have thought about getting a Land Rover as our holidays are generally...erm..quite rural. Maybe when I sell the Sunbeam next year. Normally though I am pretty good at negotiating lanes and its the first time I have caught the underside, but I lost concentration for a moment and that was that.

With regards to the washer pump - actually I did notice a difference in the power of the replacement but it could have been because the old was failing. There are two available for the P38, from memory they seem to be the same, but one has an extension tube. I think in the saloon/fastback there might also be two pumps (one for the rear washers).

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:29 am

Nice views - where is it?

It is that tiny moment of lost concentration/distraction that the damage always happens. :roll:

The fastbacks do indeed have a second (slightly different) pump for the rear screen washer and looking at the two pumps for the P38 the one with the extension tube looks like it has a non-return valve built in and ( i think) is an aftermarket jobby as the original you quoted (AMR3271) is NLA so the part number appears to be AMR3271P (the P suffix denotes pattern prats on Rimmers) - for the sake of £9 i might just get one. Been meaning to adjust the front bumper slightly as it sits a bit high at the front, i only adjusted roughly when i fitted it following the myopic efforts of a Peugeot driver a year ago. New washer pump, adjust and paint front bumper, fit decent front fogs - 4 parrots with one missile! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am

The location is just east of Kimmeridge. Between Lulworth and Corfe Castle. It is an amazing stretch of coastline and if you enjoy walking the coastal path is breathtaking.....quite literally at times.

There were loads of those pumps on eBay at the time and a fraction of the cost of the 800 pump. I did not need the extension tube, you could be right, if its for the rear it might be a valve.

You can access the pump without taking the bumper off, there is a plastic cover that unscrews directly under the bottle giving access to the pump. Trouble is, when you pull the old pump out you are obviously under it....and you have to move fast to avoid getting wet :)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:56 pm

The pumps for the rear are different, they have different electrical connectors so you can only plug the front plug onto the front pump etc, the valve would be useful whether it's for the front or the back to save you waiting for pressure to build before you get wet stuff out of the jets. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Lovely pictures, we took the Vitesse to Dorset and towed the caravan with it in August. Had a wonderful holiday.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997