Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:56 pm

SJG wrote:Lovely pictures, we took the Vitesse to Dorset and towed the caravan with it in August. Had a wonderful holiday.
Its certainly a lovely part of the country and get down there whenever possible. We sold the Dandy (1968 folding camper) in the photos once we got home and went back to a caravan. We thought long and hard about what to get as it had to look right with the Rover. Ended up buying three Castletons! (long story) but settled on a 1980s Castleton Roamer that had been completely stripped. Managed to restore it and get a week away in it before the cold weather set in.

What caravan do you tow with the Rover?
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:06 pm

We have a 1999 Elddis van, so appropriately aged to the car. It is easy to tow and fully laden is around 1100kgs. We had a folding camper also, but as we enjoyed using it so much we wanted to get away out of season too, hence getting the van.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:09 pm

tonewheeldude wrote:The location is just east of Kimmeridge. Between Lulworth and Corfe Castle. It is an amazing stretch of coastline and if you enjoy walking the coastal path is breathtaking.....quite literally at times.

There were loads of those pumps on eBay at the time and a fraction of the cost of the 800 pump. I did not need the extension tube, you could be right, if its for the rear it might be a valve.

You can access the pump without taking the bumper off, there is a plastic cover that unscrews directly under the bottle giving access to the pump. Trouble is, when you pull the old pump out you are obviously under it....and you have to move fast to avoid getting wet :)
That explains the stunning scenery then!

Had a look on ebay, found a few and watching one now, thanks.

As the bumper has to come off for other things, i'll do all the jobs at the same time. It hasn't looked right with a gold top on the bumper but better than a square corner! I have the satin black ( i know it's 40% gloss Stevee) which will have to be close enough.
SJG wrote:Lovely pictures, we took the Vitesse to Dorset and towed the caravan with it in August. Had a wonderful holiday.
The countryside is amazing down that part of the world Simon, better than the flatlands of East Anglia for sure! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Our family have holidayed on the isle of perbeck for over 40 years, it is one of our favourite spots in the UK, or the world. However I must say we've also enjoyed some lovely visits to the East of the country Dave.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:10 pm

I suppose when you live in a particular area familiarity breeds contempt, that said when so much of it is just flat and wide open it's difficult to see the beauty in it. Especially on a day like today where one fog-bound flat road looked very much the same as the next.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:11 pm

SJG wrote:Our family have holidayed on the isle of perbeck for over 40 years, it is one of our favourite spots in the UK, or the world. However I must say we've also enjoyed some lovely visits to the East of the country Dave.
East Anglia holds its own beauty for sure - from the tranquility of the broads and picturesque Villages and Market Towns to the expansive beaches of North Norfolk which are a favourite spot for us. But Purbeck keeps drawing is back again and again too. It doesn't matter how many times we go, catching the first glimpse of Corfe Castle, or boarding the Ferry at Sand Banks always has an instant effect and you can forget about the stresses back home. And I am convinced that no restaurant in the country matches the taste and feeling of a home cooked Pasty and Cider at the Square and Compass after a 3 hour walk along the coast path. (Although Frenchies in Wells next the sea does do the best Fish and Chips in the known Universe).

A few more of the rewards you get for taking a stroll:

Better pop one on of the car to keep on topic :)

FlashGordon
Regular Visitor
Location: Galliae Cisalpinae, oram fluminis septentrionalem Rubiconem.

Post by FlashGordon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 am

FlashGordon wrote:

Original seal is 19 x 12 x 5 mm,

will try this 19,2 x 11,2 x 5 mm ... maybe it fit

Fit on slave of my Rover 825 SD this seal from mercedes cluch master cylinder kit 19mm, it work perfect for now. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOFREN-SEIN ... SwiDFYMwql
Flash

FlashGordon
Regular Visitor
Location: Galliae Cisalpinae, oram fluminis septentrionalem Rubiconem.

Re: Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe - updated with photos

Post by FlashGordon » Sat May 13, 2017 8:33 am

tonewheeldude wrote:So the Coupe is back. And what a difference! Silky smooth action and the pedal is at normal height. It has transformed the car as there was slight judder (probably due to the slight leak on the oil seal), slipping and poor pedal action.

The clutch was down to the rivets and the garage picked up on the other problem mentioned a while back; the very low pedal. They explained one of the bolts holding the Master cylinder in place was missing and is virtually inaccessible. Probably because it requires removing quite a few components to get to it. This meant over time the master cylinder was moving away from the bulkhead - every time the clutch was depressed the whole thing would move, bending the bulkhead at the fitted bolt...hence the very low travel. They replaced the bolt and pedal is as it should be.

The total invoice was for £250 including the crankshaft oil seal. Add that to the genuine clutch kit I picked up on ebay means the whole thing is £20 short of £300. tomorrow I will be giving it a 300 mile test drive...can hardly wait!

edit: Sorry Dave forgot to reply to your post. Not sure what to think. Basically I took the original part number and cross referenced it against several other compatible parts:

Oil seal part number (LUF100500) from here:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID004811

Compatible part numbers
FORD 1054053
JEEP 5010817AA
RENAULT 5000684700
AJUSA 15041700
FAI AutoParts OS515
PAYEN NF837
ELRING 225.666
CORTECO 20029786B

OS515 is allegedly used on loads of Suzuki's of all engine sizes.
Very interesting, notice also about compatible o-ring GUG705649GM ?
Flash

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Sat May 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Going back off topic for a mo...

Always loved the look of Lulworth Cove but never actually visited it, even when holidaying in the area.
So about 2 years ago we made a special detour on our way back from Devon to see it.

TBH I was somewhat disappointed , it's all a bit rough when you get there , not Sandy at all.
More like Shingle .

Still love the area though , anywhere Devon , Dorset , Cornwall , Somerset etc

8) 8)
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Lulworth Cove is nice for a walk, and if you had a litle boat would be lovely, but its not a beach you would want to spend any time on, unless you enjoy geology, in which case there is enough to keep you bust for a whole weekend. However you can walk from Lulworth to Durdle Door - very worth while doing. The sea is clear and a pleasure to swim in at Man O War Bay, there is some sand and some shingle, but the views more than make up for the shingle. I am much happier just staying in Purbeck though.

We were supposed to be going down this weekend but the Rover has failed on power steering leak so. Have a brand new genuine rack to fit, but am struggling to sort the pipes out.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Which pipes are you in need of Darren? Dusan is breaking his Vitesse following an engine failure, i know the racks are the same but not sure on the PAS hoses.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm

its the cooler and the return hose from the rack to the cooler. Mine is still intact, but i dont think it will stand much moving about. I have ordered a new cooler (for a series one), not sure if it will fit but might be able to modify it, but they are fairly inexpensive and I imagine all the used ones are going to be nearly finished.

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Some photo updates as its been a while. These were taken in January during a weekend break to Swanage.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:20 pm

tonewheeldude wrote:its the cooler and the return hose from the rack to the cooler. Mine is still intact, but i dont think it will stand much moving about. I have ordered a new cooler (for a series one), not sure if it will fit but might be able to modify it, but they are fairly inexpensive and I imagine all the used ones are going to be nearly finished.
As far as i'm aware the PAS fluid coolers are the same across the range through all the years Darren and many people have made their own using 10mm flexible copper pipe. Others have used 15mm household plumbing pipe with 15-10mm reducers on each end to connect the hoses.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 pm

This was the cooler I bought:
http://mgrovergenuine.co.uk/genuine-mg- ... pas-fluid/
Its a genuine part and listed for a Series One 2.0l petrol and diesel. But it fitted fine on my 1999 diesel and now with the new rack, fluid and tracking feels much more positive on the steering and I am not worried about it bursting.

Note the cost of he cooler: £29.46 !! (delivery was £5 on top of that for me) If you have a rusty cooler this seems like a good option.