Project Shitesse (1993 827 Sterling Manual)

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Project Shitesse (1993 827 Sterling Manual)

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Does this work?

Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:09 am

Alucard7002 wrote:Does this work?

Nope! Another B&W No Entry sign! Even tried copying the link and pasting and just got a bigger No Entry sign! Maybe (i'm guessing it's a photo on your Google Drive?) you need to allow public access to those pictures?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:10 pm

Whelp!

I've had fun recently with this old barge.

Rear silencer fell off! (the centre section flange failed, not where I welded on the XJ40 back box)

Remove rear silencer and centre section.

Mark with a chisel the orientation of the flange on the centre section.

Cut off the rotten bit and clean up the flange

Clean up the pipe and align flange.

Weld thoroughly!

Attempt to fit to car...

FFS WHY ARE THERE TWO CHISEL MARKS!

That's right, guess which numpty welded on the flange at about 25 degrees squiff...

It was so well welded that I didn't have the heart to cut it off again and re-weld.

Attempt to force exhaust up onto the hangers and leave it squiff.

SUCCESS!

Start car...

Look underneath for source of boy racer exhaust.

By forcing the exhaust up another rotten section has split.

Neighbour has taken back his MIG I borrowed.

Duck tape it for now so I can at least move the car without waking up the neighbourhood.

Fast forward a week, still no welder, duct tape melted after 2 miles. (I expected nothing less)

Aluminium tape and some chemical metal = bodged in all its redneck glory.

Works for about a month.

One bumpy road later and the chemical metal cracks off and I'm back to square one...

I now have gone out and purchased for the princely sum of £11.43 a 2m length of 2" pipe and a bit of 6mm plate.

Now I have a fixed exhaust made of mostly Steel and a little bit of rust.

AND a straight pipe!

Why? Well to go with the Nitrous Kit I have acquired ahead of the start of the next season of Sportsman ET drag racing :lol:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Oops! Two suggestions for the future, first get your own MIG :lol: and second, use a Magic Marker to make your marks with - lines can be drawn along the pipe then you can line up the flanges on the bench before welding
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:04 pm

I have my eyes on a nice TIG actually, the same one the boys at Demand Engineering in Ipswich used to build my exhaust. Properly nice little inverter TIG with pulse control and everything. Trying to find one within my budget is proving difficult!

I have a box of new sharp Sharpies for metalworking projects but I thought a nice deep chisel dent wouldn't rub off... I didn't think to check the rest of the pipe for other nicks/dents I could have confused it with.

Lesson learned that is for sure!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:32 am

A TIG would be a handy piece of kit actually. Another source of good (used) TIGs where you could potentially pick up an excellent unit would be plant hire places. Generally they use them up to a certain age then sell them off usually very cheaply. If you must have a new unit then sadly you'll have to bite the bullet or get a new credit card! :wink: :lol: Joking aside, an extra/new credit card might be an easier way of affording the TIG you want or talk nicely to the parents about what Santa might be dropping down your chimney this xmas!

Sharpies - that's the one! When i was your age they were called Magic Markers as they would write on anything as if by magic. Also wouldn't rub off etc etc.

I've often noticed nicks in the edge of flanges on exhaust sytems and came to the conclusion they were datum marks for lining things up when they are built. Bummer you had exactly the same idea and forgot to check what other marks were already there!

Talking of exhausts, did you invest in one of those OBX C27 headers? If you ever need a welder locally again then i have a gasless MIG and an ark welder (yes i know it should be arc but Noah had this one when he built the famous boat! :lol: )
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:11 am

I too made the mistake of using chisel marks when I made a de cat and welded the flange on nicely lined up with marks that were already on the pipe :oops:
(I never put that in my blog so don't tell any one)
Not much of a problem as the Mongoose exhaust has an adapter piece which easily rotated. Just hope it rotates back easy when the cat goes back on for test.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:29 am

A smear of copper grease on the adaptor pipe is always helpful for rotating the pipe or in my case on the Sterling, removing the de-cat pipe. Got a genuine Rover de-cat box on the coupé and that had plenty of copper grease on the flages, gaskets and threads.

Reminds me, i must do the dishwasher tablet trick on the cat while it's off the car, got the dreaded MoT looming on the coupé so needs doing soon!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:26 am

Never did purchase the OBX manifolds - shipping was ludicrous money

If my drag racing friend is doing another order from the US I will see if I can lump them in with his shipment of parts.

£156 for equal length stainless manifolds is pennies!

I did however purchase those wheel nuts you suggested - thanks for that. They fit perfectly and should last the life of the car. No longer am I battling with the silly rover ones. (small prydriver and a hammer just to change a wheel was getting very irritating!)

Shitesse is still going strong, nearly at the point where I get it on the weighbridge out of curiosity :roll: I reckon I can get the thing to under 1300kgs with relative ease. Less than that needs plexi side and rear windows and the door skins skinning.
Nitrous is proving irritatingly expensive for just the install kit, I have the bottle, solenoids and controller (free) just need the lines and fittings.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:33 am

I prefer to think of it as £220 with free shipping :wink: :D :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150393548979? ... EBIDX%3AIT

That said the offer ends in 22 hours time and it will return to £255 with free shipping or £156 + £99 shipping. Sadly the seller doesn't offer combined shipping and the cost for shipping for extra manifolds is the same on top, hence my way of thinking of the all-in price. Still tempting at that, i just can't justify it at the moment with bills, heating oil, xmas and all the other "life expenses" at this time of year.

The wheel nuts do a good job although the finish has gone flaky on mine but they've been on a few years now. Still, a set of plastic chrome nut covers is only about £8 and brightens them up considerably :

The Shitesse should keep going, time and tinworm will eventually get it under 1300kg without resorting to plastic windows etc. and adding nitrous will make it quicker regardless. Are there any other lines/fittings that could be used? For example, the copper tubing used for LPG?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:06 pm

£220 still is not bad at all, I'd recommend folks get them anyhow as it includes a new downpipe that has a much better collector design and is made of stainless!

1300kgs or less is hard! Only so much rust induced weight savings are safe!
If you were to do it, Plexi is the first step (any idea how much the rear hatch glass weighs on a fastback!), remove sunroof and plate/plexi, skin the doors, remove A/C components, fibreglass front wings, roof, rear quarters. etc.
It would quickly get to the point of being unusable and un insurable! As it stands it still has a heater and cruise control. It's perfect for use as a self propelled skip that one can kit up and run 13's at the strip.
The insurance company were amusing; no interior? no problem. Nitrous? Don't want to know, however they are happy for the system to be fitted in such a way that the nitrous bottle is not mounted or connected for road use! Win win in my book.

Copper brake pipe was a thought but its the special AN fittings that cost silly money that are the hard part.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Due to a change in circumstances Project Shitesse is being broken for spares next month.

I wanted to run Sportsman ET Drag racing and in the last Race meet before it's MOT runs out my plan was to fit my mates 300hp Nitrous kit and see how much she could take before trailerering her home.

However not many (read NONE) of the insurance companies wanted to know about such a modified vehicle at my age...

Therefore she is now SORN'd and off the road ready for me to break up next month.

I am keeping:

Gearbox
Fuel filler neck
Expansion tank
Window Regulators + switches
Front wings
Fog/cruise/washwipe buttons
Cruise control (entire)

What it does have that is unique:

Polybushed front suspension - complete
285mm carriers, calipers and discs all in very good nick.
High Compression version of the 2.7 V6 - it does go like the proverbial!

What is has that is broken/worn out/ knackered

Dampers
ABS sensors
Air con (no idea why it's broken but it is)
Body panels - all are crap - either full of rust/dents/deep scratches
Shell (Rotten)
Rear calipers (failed completely)

Number Plate L23 WWV is available should anyone want it for free, you just have to pay the transfer fee.
Last edited by Alucard7002 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Update!

These parts are have now been called for.

Polybushed front suspension - complete (inclusing front and rear "subframes" and all associated suspension parts)
285mm carriers, calipers and discs.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Before this goes to the great motorway in the sky, weren't there some people on here after some rear suspension components to use for sourcing/manufacturing polybushes?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Both Jim (820Vitesse) and Dave (Scooby) were after suspension parts for patterns.

Dave got in touch with me already. Nothing from Jim. I assume looking at Jim's wanted threads that he has found the bits he is after.

Well remembered though! :-D

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B