1991 820i

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Austin-Rover
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 1991 820i

Post by Austin-Rover » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:04 pm

What a weekend to cheer you up after endless winter weather. The sun is out, the bulbs are flowering, the temperature is up...time to give the 820 a full hit with the polishes, lotions and potions. :D

All those milky dull patches from years of car washes have gone to be replaced with a shine so deep you could almost dive in to it. What a fabulous colour Caribbean Blue is! 8) Plus, the postman came today with the fruits of my DVLA history request. A nice thick wedge of papers detailing the history of the car from the very beginning, also with copies of some registration transfer paperwork - the car used to wear the number plate '8 NP'.

I just need to have that front bumper sprayed now...

ImageRover 820i by Austin-Rover, on Flickr

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:58 am

That looks super.
You need some chrome tailpipe finishers to smarten up the back end.

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

hotfuzz87
Regular Visitor

Post by hotfuzz87 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 pm

wow that is stunning! good job! another one saved for future generations to enjoy
1987 Rover 820E white diamond
Previous 800's…
1998 Rover 820 Sterling fastback
1997 Rover 825 Sterling KV6 saloon BRG
1995 Rover 827i Nightfire
1991 Rover 820 Turbo 16v saloon Nightfire
1987 Rover 820 Si Shantung gold

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:06 am

Oooh, nice! I'm quite jealous.

Austin-Rover
Regular Visitor

Post by Austin-Rover » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Just a quick revisit to this thread...and I notice that a past tidy up of my Flickr account has decimated the photographs in this thread. Oh well!

Over winter the fleet branched out to now include a caravan (not sure how I became one of those people at only 30? :shock: ) and the 820 was the only suitable vehicle (currently) to serve as tow car. I invested in a shiny new tow bar and raided the Rimmer Brothers website for the towing electrics (including a lovely Rover branded electrics socket!). There's also new springs and shock absorbers all round to cope with the assault of towing the caravan.

The result? So far both the 800 and I have taken to towing like ducks to water. I reckon they look the business together, too. The car is 1991, the caravan 1995 - so we are well and truly trapped in the past on our little weekends away!

Image15th May 2016 by Richard Gelder, on Flickr

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:19 am

Lovely looking combo there - only just found this thread so that's the only pic i've seen of your car too.

Although both my 827s are Sterling spec, i do have fond memories of my first 820Si - D859 SGO in Moonraker Blue. It had electric front widows and central locking but otherwise was a "povo spec" car. A previous owner had the camshafts changed for something a bit special from the "Special Tuning" (as it was still called then, now X-Power) parts bin and it went like stink, despite only being a 2.0. A friend borrowed it one weekend and allegedly was chased for a while by a Volvo T-5 with disco lights and go-faster stripes :wink: and apparently completely lost the T-5.
I later fitted the engine into a Montego VDP EFi that had cooked its OE lump due to a FUBAR rad and turned it into a Porsche-Eater so what spec those cams were i'll never know now but all in all, if i'd kept the 820 it would now be sought after as one of the first 800s and also because it wasn't one of the "usual big 3" of a Sterling, Vitesse or coupé.
In years to come, the poverty spec cars will definitely be rarer and i expect more sought after for their simplicity by people only then discovering the 800. Personally i've always gone for the higher spec cars whether it's an 800 or any other marque i've owned. A few exceptions have been when i've needed rather than wanted to buy a car and i've ended up with something like a base spec Escrot or similar. They've usually only been owned a short while though! :wink: :lol:

Keep up the obvious good work with your fleet and enjoy that caravan! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!