Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Post by 820Vitesse » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:52 am

deano wrote:why no front fogs ?
They never got used and the N/S if you look carefully is an air intake for the engine air filter

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Very good pictures of a very sexy car. Just epic.

''Marc'' high shots haha.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Marc-827-Vitesse wrote:''Marc'' high shots haha.
I can tell this is going to fast become one of those things. *scuttles off to fetch a stepladder*

:lol:
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 am

Back at Brands Hatch for a track evening on the Indy circuit. Time to test the recent repairs and mods.
The brake judder is fixed at last, not the slightest hint from start to finish, although now I suspect the brake fluid is overheating after a few hot laps causing a long pedal, after a cool down the pedal returns to normal. It currently uses Met Police spec brake fluid that from memory is a couple of grades up from factory spec, so a fluid upgrade next on the list.
The rear suspension mods have improved the handling more than I expected, I was a bit wary of how the car would react to being thrown around, the standard suspension has lots of feel and feedback although quite wallowy it is nice to drive, I was worried the back of the car might bounce or skip unpredictably but it was fine, where it would have slid out before it was glued to the track and I was able to throw it into the bends a bit more aggressively, I am no racing driver or expert but it felt more predictable.

It was a busy track most of the evening and some drivers not using their mirrors and no blue lights for them when I was approaching, maybe even the marshals didnt notice an old Rover going round the track, I did have had great fun trying to chase after first an M3 before being blocked then a pair of very quick Porsches and a Nissan GTR till my brake pedal was almost going to the floor. I think I did us 800 owners proud though.

This clip is 2 warm up laps, being blocked by Audi's, a brief M3 chase, blocked again then a bit of a chase after 2 very fast Porsches and a Nissan GTR till I had to concede in the end to a lack of brake pedal.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:22 am

I used a different camera this time but forgot to narrow the angle in an attempt to create the Tony Pond view, I did use the blue gloves and the Esso Unleaded sticker in honour of the legend though.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Nice driving Jim!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Love it! I found myself leaning into the corners on my sofa! :lol:

Any that is one of the nicest sounding T series I've ever heard.

By the way, what is the red switch on the dash?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks Dave and Tom.
The red switch is for the multi relay unit and next to it is a manual fan switch, it the heat of the chase I knocked the fan switch on and almost switched everything off, approaching Druids I flicked everything back up where it should be.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:25 pm

not bad at all, when you were chasing hard at the end behind the gtr, you corrected a couple of times on the corners, looks like minor oversteer, what pressures you run your tyres, and what tyres did you run.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

I absolutely love that video - honestly, I could watch it for hours. My other half thinks I've lost the plot, sat here watching a Rover like mine run around a track, but it's genuinely great to see.

Nice driving too, would love to take mine out for a half-hour of getting to know the track etc.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:03 am

midnite wrote:not bad at all, when you were chasing hard at the end behind the gtr, you corrected a couple of times on the corners, looks like minor oversteer, what pressures you run your tyres, and what tyres did you run.
Thanks midnite, I think that was a bit of me and a bit of too fast into the corners, the steering needs firming up a bit now that everything else chassis wise is very tight, there is nothing wrong with the steering just when on the limit that little bit of free play is noticeable, that will be the winter task.
The tyres are Dunlop D01J hards on the front and Dunlop Direzza D3 softs on the rear, I am still experimenting with pressures and forgot to check them immediately after leaving the track so dont have accurate numbers, bit annoyed with myself for that. Before going out they were set to F 26psi R 26psi so would have gone up to about 32psi on track

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:16 am

mercedade wrote:I absolutely love that video - honestly, I could watch it for hours. My other half thinks I've lost the plot, sat here watching a Rover like mine run around a track, but it's genuinely great to see.

Nice driving too, would love to take mine out for a half-hour of getting to know the track etc.
Thanks mercedade haha glad you enjoyed it, had a few drivers come and ask about the old Rover, asking what had been done.
I have some other vids I will add those soon, thanks again.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:08 pm

i reckon it be interesting to run some road tyres but say pirelli p zero or pilot sport 3 or 4s, and see what its like on track with a high performance road tyre rather than track, and see what the difference was, as the 800 is an old car and wonder even with all the mods you've done, she doesn't find it easy with ultra modern trackday tyres.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Just a thought and an odd bit of theory that might seem unrelated but might be worth looking at regarding the tyre pressures.

In the olden days when things like the Golf GTi, Astra GT/E, Manta GT/E, Escrot XR3i etc were first produced, the upholstery was stiffened up to cope with the stiffer suspension. Soft seats and hard suspension meant the occupants bounced up and down like Zebedee on acid.

When the Vitesse in its post 96 form appeared (maybe sooner) but with the 17" wheels, the tyre pressure went up to 34psi from the previous 32psi - this i believe was accompanied by stiffer suspension.
My line of thought here is that as you've stiffened the suspension perhaps 36-38psi would work better on the track so probably about 30-32psi when cold. I might be totally wrong here but maybe it will give you an idea to try?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:05 pm

The Dunlops are about as good as you can get before going to a full race slick, used for several classic and single make race series as the compulsory tyre. I did go to Castle Coombe once with the Dunlop hard compound D01J's on the front and some budget new performance road tyres on the rear, even in the rain the Dunlops were massively better, the rubber is much softer plus all the technology that goes into the sidewall and cord design for a race tyre rather than a road tyre.
From a thread on Retrorides it seems most run much lower pressures 22 - 25 cold
I had planned to experiment with pressures before and after and to walk round the pits and find out what some of the race cars where using before and after, but first couple of sessions when returning to the pits was all about why the brake pedal was behaving as it was then I would get chatting to someone, before I knew it the tyres had cooled so no accurate readings, final couple of sessions the adrenaline got me and I just forgot all about the tyre pressures, I even had a clip board and gauge ready.
I will just have to go again.