Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Post by 820Vitesse » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Ended up getting a bit done on the strut brace mount today.
One of the strut brace mount parts did not look strong enough so reduced the cut-outs size and also added a bit more angle to the top edge, new design

New part on the right arrived yesterday.

Stainless steel can be awkward to work with because it is not magnetic, getting the first parts together at the correct angles was a combination of masking tape to hold them roughly in place then a very small tack that could be moved about ready for the next part.

Top part with temporary ally bolt to hold it.

Thats where I am up to today.
Doing all my TIG welding standing up at the moment and struggling to hold the welding torch steady and move smoothly so next job in the garage is to build a lower bench I can sit at and support my elbows, hopefully this will help.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Instead of a lower bench Jim, what about a higher floor? Sounds daft at first but a simple caravan-style step or similar might be enough to bring your height up so the bench is low enough by comparison to rest your elbows on.
A lot quicker and easier to make (or even buy cheaply!) than a lower bench and means the bench is still a sensible height for other work.

Liking those strut plates a lot - can see a potential use for something else for those as well! Do you have them stored as a drawing or similar anywhere at all?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:09 pm

I thought about floor height and chairs but I cannot get my knees under the current bench so end up leaning or twisted at the current bench. The low bench idea should be really simple and rest on the under bench shelving which also gives me two height options, plan is a simple frame that can be dismantled once this work is done, no doubt it will end up more complicated in the end.

Yes I have drawings for the plates, what is the idea?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:26 pm

I understand where you're coming from on the bench now - more of a table and a chair than a bench really?

The idea is nothing as exciting as what you're doing Jim! On my Coupé i made an angle bracket to fit on the suspension mounting nuts to hand an LPG vapouriser off. It wasn't ideally placed as it ended up over the transmission dipstick/fill hole. Using something like you've made up would mean i could shift it back and down a bit when i convert my Sterling. Also means i don't have to start drilling holes in the inner wings! ;) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Let me know if you want the drawing might be a good place to start you can always alter it to suit.

Next engine mount to get the treatment is the timing belt end.

Cut out the rubber centre and side mouldings

I could not find bushes big enough to go straight into the cast iron housing so for the closest size it needs a 60mm diameter 2.5mm thick aluminium sleeve.

Cut the aluminium sleeve to length and pressed it in with metal glue, cleaned up the edges and a coat of paint.

Lastly pressed the bushes into the housing and the centre tube that uses an M12 over the original M10 bolt so slightly larger bolt hole needed on the car when it comes to fitting. This is going to transmit a lot of vibration.

Could not decide how to build the welding bench but had to switch from the pedal to the torch trigger for the welding because I had to mock up the exhaust system before I could weld it, this meant I had to tack it from under the car, not easy under the car on stands with a mask, torch and filler rod and impossible to operate the pedal.
Managed to get two big ugly tacks on each part, just enough so it stayed in position to remove from the car to add a few more tacks to be sure it held.

This has made welding on the bench a bit easier too, flexy welded

Welding these parts was made easier that they are similar thickness unlike the manifold that I really struggled with thin tubing and thick flanges.

I am using V-Band connectors to join the main parts, easy to take apart and look tidy, although quite a bit chunkier than I anticipated.

That is where it is up to this weekend, slowly getting there.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 pm

All good stuff Jim - are you going to reinforce the bodyshell where the engine mounts attach?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks Dave, I was thinking that too, might brace the mount section to the turret, will take a closer look when I change the cam belt and fit the mount next spring.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:21 am

I'm thinking the extra vibration might cause stress fractures due to harmonic vibration in the bulkhead/suspension turrets etc.

As for that drawing, it would be very much appreciated please Jim! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Can you PM me your email, I will send the drawing, you can print it 1:1 for actual size

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Very many thanks Jim - have done the PM! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:55 pm

A little bit of progress on the exhaust system.
Welding bench is done, though in these pictures I was still waiting for the steel sheet to go on top.
Straight through centre section now has V Band flanges welded to both ends

Sitting more comfortably at a suitable height bench I was able to use the pedal properly and felt I made a step forward in my TIG welding ability, still very inconsistent but a bit neater and no warpage

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Oh how I wish my welding was that untidy :) :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:33 pm

I got lucky with that section, it is still very inconsistent.

Now the turbo is lower in the engine bay the intake pipework will not twist enough take up the angle between turbo and air filter. I built the air box in 2007 to avoid hot air from the engine bay, the sides are shaped to fit close to the bonnet when closed but there was a small gap so when stationary still drew some hot air. When moving cool air passes over and round the headlamp there is also air directed from the fog light blank to underneath the filter

Plan now is to re position the air filter at a different angle in the same location and build another similar air box but with a lid this time. The lid idea is inspired by the Glacier Hepolite racing SD1 Vitesse at the Classic motor show, it has the same position air filter but in a lidded box also fed cold air from around the headlamp.

Plenty of space but quite a steep angle up to where the filter sits

Another heat shield is needed for the bonnet above the exhaust manifold so fitted 4 rivnuts the the bonnet frame and a pair of aluminium braces to fix it to

Next update probably not till next year so have Happy Christmas and new year all

Jim

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:05 pm

More great work Jim! When you make the new airbox, can i suggest deleting the inlet from the foglamp blank?

A lot of studies have shown the hottest air in front of a car tends to be about 6-9" above the tarmac, just where the foglamp is in fact! At the moment, all the cooler air near the headlamp is being "diluted" by warmer air from the foglamp.
Also given that aluminium is a good conductor, it might pay to insulate it to reflect heat away from it - just an idea. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks Dave, that is interesting, guess it makes sense in the summer with hot road surfaces. The fog lamp apertures might evolve to be more effective as brake cooling ducts instead.
Did you get the drawing?