Mechanical engineers: Cover your eyes.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mechanical engineers: Cover your eyes.

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:07 pm

I've nearly finished rebuilding a spare PG1 for the coupe and the final stage of the build is shimming the diff and mainshaft. Setting the clearances properly required a 0.7mm shim. Obviously these and pretty much every other size of PG1 mainshaft shim are NLA, so I had to find a way to shrink a 0.9 that I had taken out to size.

A couple of local precision engineering companies that I knew to have the correct machine for this (a magnetic bed surface grinder) told me to they weren't interested, so I present my solution:

Superglue, cable ties and, after my previous attempt at making a homemade magnetic chuck came loose at 900rpm and smacked me in the face, much blood and swearing.

For those interested* this achieved an accuracy of 0.03mm.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mechanical engineers: Cover your eyes.

Post by vito » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 pm

Bodgtasia rules ........... :D
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:54 am

Great improvisation, Tom
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

aryan57
Regular Visitor

Post by aryan57 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 am

As an ex Precision Engineer myself, congratulations. I mean the shim, not smacking yourself in the face with a spinning chuck, that was pretty foolish, to put it mildly. Dying is no way to make a living!
1992 820SI saloon.