Using water Vitesse Sport

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
avoncliffe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Using water Vitesse Sport

Post by avoncliffe » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi guys,
I've just registered here in the hope someone may be able to help. I have a '97 model (reg 31/12/96) Vitesse Sport (200bhp) and have owned her for 6 years with no major problems. She's covered 74,000 miles to date with a full service history.
Anyway, I now notice what I can only describe as scream/whistle when I go through the gears, the only noticeable result being an excessive use of water. The header tank can be half full after a 50 mile journey. She isn't using any excessive oil and there isn't water in the oil either. Performance isn't effected and she'll cruise as normal, the 'noise' having disappeared. So it's appears only when the car is under load, so to speak, when accelerating and comes in at around 2,500/3000 revs.
Has anybody any ideas as to the possible cause?
Thanks,
Richard

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Using water Vitesse Sport

Post by dollysprint » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Water pump bearing is shot and the seals have failed. You should be able to see coolant below the pump where it joins the rear of the power steering pump. You may need to get underneath to see it.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Using water Vitesse Sport

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Sometimes it's not possible to see the leak on the water pump until it's too late as i found with my old 420GSi (n/asp) so it would probably pay to change the water pump and any seals around it as a precaution/eliminate it from the diagnosis.

Welcome aboard by the way!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!