rover 820 vitesse coupe btakes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: rover 820 vitesse coupe btakes

Post by midnite » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:24 pm

tony you can drive your car to and from a garage without mot, as long as its booked in or returning from a pre booked mot, as long as the car is insured and taxed, i even think you can drive it back to the garage for repairs also even after you take it home from failing an mot.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:57 pm

You can also drive a vehicle to and from a "permanent place of repair" to have repairs carried out to gain an MoT as long as it is insured. I'm not 100% sure if you need tax but given that you can now tax a vehicle without needing insurance or MoT, i would say you do.
For example, on a friday your car fails the MoT in Town A on welding. The following tuesday you drive to Town B to have the welding done and return home afterwards. Three days later on the next friday, you return to Town A to the MoT station for a retest which the car passes. All of this is perfectly legal as long as the work in Town B is prebooked. If Town B didn't have a tyre fitters let's say and it failed on tyres as well as welding, you could also book an apointment in Town C for the tyres and drive there too, then home.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by deano » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Can you Tax a car without an MOT or Insurance ???

I thought it was automatically checked on the database these days
Last edited by deano on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:40 pm

sorry and long is a car is insured, can't get tax without mot, I'm so blonde at times
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

tonyturtle

Post by tonyturtle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:08 pm

if I did not get a MOT but are still paying for the tax by direct debit monthly does that mean the DVLA are taking money under false pretence if they then tow your car due to having no MOT all this considering that they have not contacted me to inform me the tax is no longer valid due to no MOT . Just a thought

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 pm

No....
Its not the dvla fault your car has no mot

Having no mot doesn't make the tax invalid (unless its the annual renewal time)

You could always declare it as `sorn` (off road notice) and not pay the Direct Debit, as long as its off the public road of course....

Personally, I`d leave it on for now.
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

tonyturtle

Post by tonyturtle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Sorry in one of my previous post I did explain that I had got my Vitty MOT today only needed one new tyre to pass so no real problem
I was just trying to present a what if scenario because people get their cars lifted on public roads for no tax but if you are still paying for tax and are not informed of out off date MOT do you think it would still get lifted now that you don't display tax and can pay monthly? just a thought.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:40 pm

reckon that's where the confusion came from Tony. I've known cars lifted from private property by the DVLA for no tax but they shouldn't be able to lift it if it doesn't have an MoT, as long as it's taxed. That said no MoT could theoretically invalidate the insurance which would give them cause to lift it for a different reason but if it wasn't being used at the time there's nowt they can do.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:31 am

They can take your car if its on the road if it doesnt have tax
Also since recent they can take a car for no insurance even if its just parked up.

However they cant take a car for no mot even if its parked on the road..... unless you drive it then they will nick for not having an mot and probaly seize the car.
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:05 pm

lets straighten this one up.

You cannot get tax if you have no MOT or Insurance whether now or before when tax had to be displayed.

You can drive to an MOT station provided its booked without having tax but obviously insurance needs to be on the car and you also.

The bastards can take your car legally and from private land if its not taxed but only if you have not sorned. If its sorned then it can stay there forever.

Taking a car on the road to a garage for repair is something else. whether taxed or not, insured, or even MOT'd, the fact that you have knowingly taken a defective vehicle on the road makes you liable to prosecution. Think about it guys, you have VOSA inspectors for a reason and they can impound you car for anything they like and you can bet your life they will find something wrong if you are not nice to them, right down to incorrect tyre pressures.

It all goes back to the days of common law and before the government put statutes in its place. Just drive legally and behave and you'll be ok, even though you are six months into your MOT, your brake discs are down to the metal, the emmisions are through the roof and you can see the road surface when you pull the carpet up. :wink: