Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Slamm
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Post by Slamm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Can't beat a bit of good weather for chopping bits of your car off. Satisfying getting rid of the rot though. Keep up the good work

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Alucard7002 wrote: Do you have a good contact for someone who can respray a whole car? I might be interested!
Talk to Tom - he's just had some paint and body repairs on his Coupé by an "old school" sprayer/bodywork bloke. The bonus is this bloke likes Rovers and from what i understand is willing to deal if you do most of the prep such as masking etc. He's also reasonably local so getting a lift home etc won't be a problem.

Top tip if you need to drive it after masking is use thick cling film to mask the lights units if they're not being removed for painting, it can be easily peeled after and masks well.

Nitro - good work on those sills!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by rovercoup » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Alucard7002 wrote:

Top tip if you need to drive it after masking is use thick cling film to mask the lights units if they're not being removed for painting, it can be easily peeled after and masks well.
Just an aside to Dave's good tip for lights, DO NOT use cling film or similar to mask any areas of body work not being painted as during the stoving process the material sweats and leaves marks in the unpainted panels and CANNOT be removed by polishing.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks for the comments chaps. I was hoping to get to Pride of Longbridge, but i wont be able to now. Just come back from Germany (Nurburgring!) and have stuff to catch up on.
Alucard7002 wrote:Someone else doing sills over Easter!

Good job mate, sorry to see you discovered the old bodge on the front wing. Nothing worse IMHO than discovering a previous owners bodge when you least expect it.

You say the car is off for paint. Do you have a good contact for someone who can respray a whole car? I might be interested!
It will be my intention to get it painted professionally. I dont know anyone local, but a few months ago i had my SD1 painted by Strada Automotive up in Bridgnorth. They are Rover/ BL friendly,, having done a Maestro show car, the owner is restoring a Montego, and they are about to do a 200GSI. Very good work and reasonably priced. Ask for Mike or Dave.

http://www.strada-auto.co.uk/

And here is my SD1 Police car they painted.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... ice?page=1

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 am

This is all great stuff, Nitro.
n1tr0_9 wrote:They are Rover/ BL friendly
I find this is something you still have to watch for when selecting anywhere to carry out work on our cars. BL and it many relatives have become such a joke in so many peoples eyes that it's sometimes hard to be taken seriously when you turn up in a Rover.

When looking for a paintshop to do work on mine recently, it took several calls and visits to find someone who understood the value of the car and that I wasn't just looking for a short term bodge.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Just cut off the nearside sill. Its much worse than the offside sill i did yesterday. I found plastic bags stuffed in the rear end of the sill and more bodged repairs. In a way im lucky i did the offside first as i think i would have looked at the nearside and just scrapped the car!

Ill put some photos up later.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Urk, plastic bags filled with newspaper then slathered in filler?

Looking forward to the photos - Keep up the great work :-)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:20 pm

I have had a frustrating day. I started off fairly optimistic that by close of play i would had both sills fitted and finished. I was wrong.

By about 11 o'clock i had finished the offside with the addition of a section welded to the lower rear wheel arch.

I moved onto the nearside and that's where the problems began as it was much rustier than the offside. If i had done this side of the car first, i think i might have actually given up and sold it on as a project for someone else to complete. There were many plates welded over to the front and rear ends of the sills which had masked the development of the corrosion and caused the inner sills to rot. Plus a large section at the middle was also pretty far gone. This isnt too much of a problem, not difficult to fix, just time consuming and required more steel than i have.

I carried on with the cutting out and de-rusting and that is when i made a nasty discovery. The car failed an MoT on the sills and a corrosion near a suspension mounting but i hadnt really properly investigated where. I assumed it was just near the sill. It was, but in an awkward place. Basically the bottom of where the rear trailing arm link connects and the bush is housed The MoT man had helpfully coloured it in with a yellow crayon. I though oh no, perhaps the offside is the same and i had missed it, but on checking the offside is in really good condition and still has original cavity wax over the area. Strange that the nearside should be so much worse.

I decided to grind off the rust and then put a plate across the bottom. I did this but the weld blew through a couple of times. I thought i best hit it with the hammer to check it was all solid and that i soon regretted, as i created two holes. Now option 1 would have been to cover it in seam sealer and underseal and hope no one spotted it. But reality hit home and i couldnt do that. Here is where i actually decided to just sell the car. I have too many projects and not enough time, plus at first i coundnt conceive of a way to fix this without removing the rear suspension. I packed up my tools and went down the house to drink tea and sulk.

New shiny plate shown, with two rust holes above and to the sides.

After much tea, biscuits and sulking i went back to the car and had another look. I figured that what ever the solution it would start with chopping off my new plate and further poking to see how bad the rot was. So thats what i did. I used a grinder to chop out most of it and then used a die grinder to grind out all the frilly metal.

Suddenly things didnt look so bad after all. The orangey rust looking stuff is all just surfaces rust. The only rot was the lower edge where i guess water and road dirt had collected inside the section and caused the rot to set in.

I got stuck in with the rebuild by making two plates which fitted snug around the bush housing and then welding them from both sides to make sure it was proper strong. This was all done in thick gauge steel, i think either 1.5 or 2 mm. This was helpful as welding upside down outdoors with an intermittent breeze with real thin steel is pretty difficult!

Both new plates on, just need to weld the base on next.

The wind got up making neat welding impossible, so i quit without managing to do the base. Not sure when i will finish it off as i need to spend some time with the girlfriend!

It seems funny now that i was ready to throw in the towel. Its been like that with this car. I do love it, but its one of those cars that is right on the cusp of being worth saving. If it wasnt so much fun to drive i would have sold it on by now. My new plan is get the sills done, MoT'd and then have a serious think as to whether i spend good money at a body shop or sell it on for someone else to tinker with.

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Well done on keeping going. It is soul destroying but also very satisfying once completed.

You were right to stop for a brew as many battle plans and campaigns were drawn up over a brew and insurmountable odds measured up and beaten. Keep going to the end and then bring her back to POL next year all shiny looking so we can marvel at your work. I for one think your doing a STERLING job on a SLI
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 pm

What Steve said ^^^^^ :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^ Agreed.

A quote from Project Binky on the subject of welding on your back
"There's only one thing I enjoy doing on my back and that involves an over enthusiastic cowgirl" :lol:

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Haha I like the quote!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:39 pm

That's not as bad as I was expecting. Great work welding that up mate, as I've just been doing mine with the luxury of a double garage I can only imagine how uncomfortable welding upside on your back on gravel is!

Looking forward to the next update. Keep it up it'll be worth it in the end.

Also, Project Binky and Bad Obsession Motorsport. What a show!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:51 pm

I got that suspension mount finished and covered in zinc paint. I havent done any more to the inner sill as im out of long bits of 1 mm steel.

So i turned my attention to the boot area and where the water gets in. Part of the lip which the seal sits on had rotted out at the offside corner. The previous owner had put generous amounts of sealer to keep the worst out but it really needed a new lip welding on. So off came the boot and out came the grinder.

I made up a new strip and welded it on. Used a die grinder to smooth the welds down and then put hydrate 80 and then zinc paint over the area. There are also two small holes at the bottom of the windscreen frame but this cant be fixed without removing the rear screen. So for the moment i have rust treated it and then sealed up the holes with CT1 adhesive sealer and more zinc paint.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Fabulous write up and work. We are seeing more and more restoration threads now, good for the future of the marque.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997