Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

mjc9967
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Post by mjc9967 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Only for future proofing
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by n1tr0_9 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Back on the car again yesterday. Weather started off very good, but got progressively windier as the day went on. I removed the rear bumper so that i could continue chopping away at the nearside rear wheel arch.

I did some tidying up of the sill area and then clamped on the new sill for final fettling. Then i tacked it into position.

Plug welded along the bottom seam and then the tiresome slog of seam welding the upper edge where it meets the door step.

And the final result

Then i trimmed off all of the rusty metal from the inner wheel arch. Not that bad, but i made sure i cut all the way back to solid shiny metal.

I trimmed down the Montego rear wheel arch so that i had a section to replace my arch lip. I used the rest of the panel to fabricate a new inner arch.

Inner arch held into position.

By now it was pretty blustery so i stopped in the fabrication and welding and switched to cleaning and rust neutralising. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the rear valance behind the bumper. There was some very minor rust starting but it was all very very solid. So i wire brushed the surface rust and gave it sold rust converter treatment.

I didnt have any time on the car today, plus later on it started raining. Not sure what tomorrow is going to be like. Hopefully it is clear.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Great work there! Looking forward to the finished article! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Mon May 01, 2017 12:44 am

Impressive work!!

Those rear axle stands are tall!!!

I've never tried welding, should try it someday.
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon May 01, 2017 8:04 am

Coming along well. The fabrication and welding I think are my favourite parts of car renovation, love to see the transformation pics. Keep up the great work

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 am

I wish I had the skills to tackle metalwork like that! I am very impressed with your dedication to your 827. Like others, I am looking forward to seeing a picture of the finished job.

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:14 pm

austinpowers wrote:Impressive work!!

Those rear axle stands are tall!!!

I've never tried welding, should try it someday.
The welder was the best investment i ever made. It isnt hard to do, just takes some practice and get stuck in.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Good work mate!

I'm keen to see yours finished as It's bolstering my confidence in tackling the Vitesse!

Keep it up :-)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Back on the 800 again on Saturday.

I took some reference measurements from the offside rear arch so i could get the position of the new arch lip correct. I measured the distance from the arch lip to the detail line in the rear wing. I then transferred these on to the nearside rear wing in black marker pen. Then i trimmed down my repair panel to match and tacked it on.

Then once i was happy i welded it on. This took quite a bit of time so that i didnt distort the panel.

Here is a view from the rear side. Made sure i got good penetration and then ground most of the front side off. I didnt go too silly getting it glass flat as the danger is i lose strength and basically sand through my weld and new arch lip.

Then it was time to make up the inner arch. I had originally intended to do this in one large section, and i thought it was possible. However once i actually tried to do the final shaping of the flange i realised i couldnt. Instead i cut the donor panel into three sections to shape them individually. I also had to cut slots in the flanges, then adjust and then weld up the slots and dress them before actually welding them into the car. This took a while to get right.

Access was poor, as the rear suspension, hub and fuel filler is in the way. I could just about get my head in the wheel arch with my welding helmet on, but it was pretty difficult. Add to this the wind and the fact some of this is almost upside down and it was a bit of a fight. Still with some practising and getting the welder set up right (hotter than normal) i got some really good welds and i was very happy. Got lots of burns down the top of my overall and up my sleeves!

Now i just need to make and weld in the lower section of the arch lip and the rear end of the sill.

And to thin all i intended to do was spend 2 days fitting news sills, its taken me ages!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:26 pm

That's the trouble with welding - what you think will take half an hour takes half a day, what you think will take a day takes a week and so on.

Excellent work and loads of patience there though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon May 08, 2017 4:57 pm

That does look an awkward place to weld, surprised you had enough room to get your head in
n1tr0_9 wrote:Got lots of burns down the top of my overall and up my sleeves
Think the worse ones are down the ear, I've taken to wearing a woolly hat :roll:

Nice work as usual

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Yeah down the ear is bad. You can smell the burning hair through the ear canal to you throat/nose and hear it sizzle!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 08, 2017 5:30 pm

That sounds like fun? Not had that pleasure so far. :lol:

Top work on the work you've done. I'd have given up before you started. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Excellent work again, thanks for sharing it
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:22 pm

More welding on the weekend. Made a patch for the lower section of the wheel arch.

Tacked

Welded

Because i had good access, i also welded up the rear side. Didnt really need to as the penetration was good, but it meant that i could grind the front face down pretty flat.

Made a section to repair the inner arch. I started with cardboard, then transferred to steel.. I had to cut slots and then weld them up as i still dont know how to actually panel beat stuff.

Next tim i need to make a closing panel for the lower inner wing and then a return or flange for the wheel arch.