My New Vitti......

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
xpuffin
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My New Vitti......

Post by xpuffin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Not sure what the plural of Vitesse is so hey ho.....

Anyway, for those who were following Toms thread I was the buyer of the 2 Vitesse Fastback barn finds.

It's a little early for pics as I'm yet to really give them a good going over but I think both can be saved :D

Rewinding just a bit it's Sunday morning and I'm scraping frost off the windscreen at 0700 for the drive up to Norfolk to pick up the cars. The plan was to collect one, drive home then collect the other.....that changed.
Had a good run up (156 miles each way) and found the address no problem. The cars were outside waiting but still covered in years of crud and farmyard stuff.....don't ask..... . The previous owner had placed the cars on blocks and deflated the tyres, so whilst the tyres are in great condition they won't stay inflated as the bead won't seal on the corroded rims (both cars have the Vitesse alloys) fortunateIy I had brought a small compressor and air line with me so it was the work of minutes to get the tyres up.
Got the car loaded then set off, I'd managed the outbound trip in 2:30 and equalled that on the way back, arriving home at 1:00pm in time to greet my cousin and his wife and son with my Auntie in tow.
This was all planned, I intended to leave again at 2:00 to make the second run with Eden(cousins son) onboard as we needed to plan his summer with his Mk2 Scirocco I helped him buy last year and presently am teaching him how to work on it himself.
Sadly age having got in the way of good intentions I was a bit knackered after the first run so decided to give the car a good rinse off instead.
So out came the pressure washer and years of muck was washed away leaving a not bad car underneath (the first car was the Red body kit auto that is the worst of the 2) I put a spare battery on and checked all the electrics, with the exception of the headlights and horn everything works so happy days. I spun the engine over but I'm going to drain the tank an check the lines before I try a start.
Once the cars running I'll get it on the lift to have a really good look round but on first inspection it's going to need sills and a bit on the front edge of the rear arches, possibly even arch repairs too as there's a lot of filler in there.
All 4 doors are beyond repair but I have a set from an identical color car that I scrapped several months ago.
I don't like the body kit so that's coming off and I'll replace it with the front and rear bumpers from the scrapped car.
There's also rust in the fuel filler body panel so I'll have to take the fuel filler neck out to see if that's shot too.
All 4 rims need paint too. Plus of course, the windscreen is broken so I'll need to find one as the spare one I had is now going on the mk1 Sterling saloon I'm working on. Interior wise it's nice, but the head linings gone so needs replacing.

So Monday I'm up and ready to leave by 10:00 to collect the second car, stop at the garage to fill up and calculated that the round trip average was 23.9 mpg (not bad as I was pushing on a bit too )
Today I kept to 60ish both ways (that's the slowest speed the trans lock seems to come on at ) and added about 20 mins to each leg time wise. This time got 29.7 mpg so it's Deffo worth driving slower if you have the time to spare :D .
The second cars not as rusty but the paints not as good, nor is the interior (the headlines gone on this one too so that's 3 I now have to do) so it's swings and roundabouts. Only had a chance to clean it inside and out so tomorrow's the day for poking about.
I'll try and get some pics up over the next few days if I can find the cable for the bloody camera.
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My New Vitti......

Post by midnite » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:28 pm

mate sell me the bodykit cheap.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Sounds like you`re gonna be busy over the summer then... 8)

look forward to seeing the pictures :)
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 am

Hats off to you if you intend to restore both cars. I honestly thought the red one would be spares only. Great to hear it may also be saved too.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:46 pm

midnite wrote:mate sell me the bodykit cheap.
Make me an offer, but you'll have to come and take them off as I'm not going to have time to remove them myself.
The front bumper needs a couple of small filler repairs and the rear bumper has been cut to fit a Towbar, if you want the Towbar I'll throw that in.
So kit is
Front bumper
Rear bumper
Door and side mouldings.
Sill mouldings.
I'm J5 M3, got plenty of tools and if it's a nice day we'll fire up the barby :D
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:51 pm

So, spent a bit of the day trying to start the pair.
No fuel to either, looks like fuel pump for at least one so I'll have to keep an eye out for one.
Cars are laid up now as that's all the time I can spare ATM as I want to get some work I have already started on the Sterling done as we have 2 new puppies arriving soon so I have to fence the garden and I'll never get the chance once they are here.
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:53 pm

traineefarmer wrote:Hats off to you if you intend to restore both cars. I honestly thought the red one would be spares only. Great to hear it may also be saved too.
It's only the fact it's a Vitesse tbh. It's a spares goldmine.
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Try removing the pump and giving it a bash. its probably seized after going dry, or its the usual fuel relay under the dash that needs fixing.

Do you hear a click before trying to start but no whirring from the tank ?

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:05 pm

gyrobird wrote:Try removing the pump and giving it a bash. its probably seized after going dry, or its the usual fuel relay under the dash that needs fixing.

Do you hear a click before trying to start but no whirring from the tank ?
I took one out and connected it across the battery, dead as..........
The thing was very rusty and the fuel smells bad so I'll Hoover out the tank when I get round to the cars again.
Thought just occurred, never blipped the remote so maybe the immobilisers doing its thing also.
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:22 pm

Immobiliser ? you have the inertia switch inside the centre console but it leaves the PGFMI light illuminated constantly.

The alarm would sound if its the later Mk1 immobiliser.

besides, you get the light up for starters don't you so it can't be the immobiliser can it ?

Rusty fuel pump don't sound good, wonder what the tank is like inside, bonus is though the tanks and pumps wil fit from any 800 a you probably know :D

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:26 pm

gyrobird wrote:Immobiliser ? you have the inertia switch inside the centre console but it leaves the PGFMI light illuminated constantly.

The alarm would sound if its the later Mk1 immobiliser.
That is correct. I was intending to use that as an extra security feature but the sounder was a dead giveaway. Plus, it opens all the doors too.
gyrobird wrote:besides, you get the light up for starters don't you so it can't be the immobiliser can it ?
. If the immobiliser is on then everything seems to light up properly but nothing happens when you turn the key.
gyrobird wrote:Rusty fuel pump don't sound good, wonder what the tank is like inside, bonus is though the tanks and pumps wil fit from any 800 a you probably know :D
I'm going to hate to see the tank and pump on my white car. I suspected it had a leaky tank whilst it's been stood so it's probably very rusty inside. I do have a used tank in the boot but that's been empty for a long time too.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:04 pm

BlueRover wrote: If the immobiliser is on then everything seems to light up properly but nothing happens when you turn the key.
Can't remember the PGMFI light coming on as normal, but its been a long time.

I do remember the alarm sounding as soon as I turned the key in the ignition though.

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:17 pm

What happened to these?