My new 1993 827SLi...

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
musicalpyramid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My new 1993 827SLi...

Post by musicalpyramid » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi folks,

I put a ''wanted'' ad up earlier saying I was looking for an 827 Sterling, preferably with the cream trim. But hey ho, I had the opportunity to pick up an 827SLi on Friday and took an immediate liking to the car and bought it. She's running (and runs quite well for the most part) but there are a few mechanical and several electrical gremlins to sort out. I'll put on some pictures below. I've had 3 previous 800s at different times, and driving this one home was the first time I felt I was driving home a ''classic'', such is the passing of time... In the three days since picking it up I've had more looks, glances, comments etc with the 827 than I've had in all the time I've been driving my Omega (which I am also rather fond of, despite its faults!). The colour seems to be ''Quicksilver'' and the photos below look pretty much silvery, but in the flesh and in sunlight it really does look like a very fetching shade over very light blue metallic...

Anyways, I need to address a variety of bodywork problems and, if it is still possible, replace some of the trim... But before any of that I will be getting its brakes sorted out as they rather remind me when used of the feeling I would expect to have inside a space shuttle during launch, they are so work down 8)

Basically the car (which my daughter has decided to call 'Big Bertha' :shock: ) has the makings of a nice classic, she just needs some care and attention, to bring her back to her best. So if folks don't mind, I will post questions or requests relating to the ongoing restoration work here, rather than create a 100 different threads, if I can't find my answers on existing threads.

Besides the bodywork issues, can I at this stage make a request to anyone who can help me source the following items. I appreciate that some or all of these may by now be very hard to come by, but if anyone can help it would go a long way to bringing ''Big Bertha'' up to scratch and back to her former glory. She has a full leather interior, and the driver's seat especially is very cracked and worn as well as discoloured. The rear seats have smaller cuts or cracks too. The wood trim on the doors, front parcel shelf and central console has all gone very milky and grey, and the wood trim on the instrument panels has bleached very light. There seems to be a grille from a later 800 on the font, but it is damaged and also not held in by much... :wink:

So, can anyone please help with any of the following to start with:

Set of grey leather seats to match a 1993 SLi...

Set of complete wood trims (if possible including the wood that runs behind the front passenger dash ledge) of the darker early mark II type, including the instrument cluster ones too.

A grille for an early mark II (with the black coloured fins)

Thanks,
Chris

1999 Rover 75
1993 Rover 820 SLi

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My new 1993 827SLi...

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Lovely car.

You'd be amazed what a Gliptone liquid leather recolouring kit would do to those seats. It obviously won't fix the deep cuts and scratches, but will hide and tidy them nicely until you can source some better ones.

The grille can be dismantled and the fins painted with satin black to very good effect.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 pm

It deffo does have a touch of light blue in the silver... nice :)

Changing the front grille can be a right pain, as the bolts and captive nuts come loose and don't undo, often have to be sawn off.
A easier answer might be to just change the inner fins section , its bolted in from behind I believe.

Gliptone liquid leather.... cheers Tom , I`ll give that a go, one of mine needs touching up. :)
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:48 pm

Nice car. You would be supersized what good leather paint can do.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:09 am

Nice car Chris - if the Gliptone doesn't work on the seats i know of a grey leather interior from a 94 827 SLi that could be available. Got a feeling it's slightly lighter grey than yours but i'd have to check.

Might have a plastic grille insert floating around too, it looks like yours is damaged/missing fins or is that my eyeseight playing tricks? Like others have said, spraying the plastic satin black would be the best and easiest way, grilles are notoriously difficult to remove without breaking one or more of the fastenings.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

musicalpyramid

Post by musicalpyramid » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks.
scoobyh123 wrote:Nice car Chris - if the Gliptone doesn't work on the seats i know of a grey leather interior from a 94 827 SLi that could be available. Got a feeling it's slightly lighter grey than yours but i'd have to check.

Might have a plastic grille insert floating around too, it looks like yours is damaged/missing fins or is that my eyeseight playing tricks? Like others have said, spraying the plastic satin black would be the best and easiest way, grilles are notoriously difficult to remove without breaking one or more of the fastenings.
Thanks for that Dave, the parts of the driver's seat that you sit on and your back rests on (where is it most clearly cracked) seem to have darkened, or something has been put on it that has darkened it. The back of the seat which looks broadly ok condition wise is a lighter grey colour, whereas the front of the seat looks almost blue... (see photo below) so my guess is that a set that looks lighter probably is what the driver seat woudl have looked like to begin with. If there is any chance of that 827 SLi leather set being available please could you let me know? That would solve a lot of my problems...

As goes the grille, sounds like painting a grille insert might be the best way to go. You're eyes are right, my one is missing a fin, and as the pics below show it is held in not completely by fastenings but also with an adhesive, and is completely detatched on the O/S side - stopped from coming off by a screw stuck there by me just as a stop gap... :roll: Again, if you do have a spare insert available please let me know, seems like a good idea to paint black and fit that (as well as make sure the grille is actually attached properly....!)

Thanks,
Chris

1999 Rover 75
1993 Rover 820 SLi

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:58 pm

I would guess that someone's used a "one size fits all" grey leather stain on that front seat. The good thing about the liquid leather stuff is the cleaner will remove the old dye and the new dye will be from Gliptone's archive of car leather colours which they can match to your trim code.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Great minds think alike Tom - i was thinking the same. Either that or they've replaced the seat in the past using the slightly darker grey (one is Slate and the other is Ash if memory serves) that's around.

As for the grey leather interior i thought might be available Chris, sadly it isn't. Still looking for the grille insert though.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Looks good in silver.