vitesse sport lux

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: vitesse sport lux

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Hmmm, trans cooler for a V6 auto 800? I guess you mean the auxiliary one that Rover sold as an "extra", Honda fitted as standard to early Legends and charge £990 + VAT to supply new but can be bought on Amazon for about £30? That would work quite well for a PAS fluid cooler but then again, i know someone who made a new one from a length of 8mm copper tubing. Looked virtually factory once sprayed black as well. :wink: :D

As for the DRLs, here's a "taster" and this is what the standard indicators are like :

With the amber lens removed from the light unit and an amber LED bulb :

Thing is, the amber LED bulb also has white chips on it :

A short vid of what it will roughly be like (best watched with the sound off, not sure what was on tv but it doesn't sound good!) :

I have timer relays to add and also other relays to disable the DRLs if the indicators or headlamps are in use - this will mean a slight on-delay when first started and also when the indicators are switched off or the headlamps are switched off so it won't appear so "rough and ready" as it currently does. Gives an idea though.
The LEDs are indeed SMD but made by CREE so are extremely bright but reliable. I already have CREE or similar LED headlamp bulbs - again there's a lot of cr@p out there so you need to be careful about what you buy. The best i've found are these :

http://www.powerfuluk.com/catalogsearch ... -LED-WHITE

Expensive yes but they light the road up like nothing else i've seen with a nice crisp beam pattern and intense white light that is oddly more relaxing on the eyeballs at night, i think because it's so close to daylight on the colour spectrum. We did a comparison test one night recently, you can see the results on the second page of this thread :

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.ph ... p&start=15

Mine is in the middle, the one on the left has standard ish 60/55W Xenon look bulbs, the one on the right has a Nightbreaker in one lamp and a bog-standard 60/55 in the other.
Since using them i've seen things like a rat in the hedgerow that i would otherwise have missed, the range is much better and i reckon on a cost per upgrade scale they have to rate as one of the best value despite the cost. That said, a pair of Nightbreakers are about £20-30 depending where you buy them, they will blow sooner or later (a local Police driver informs me they blow every couple of months but they are used a lot at night, more than we probably would) and these LED bulbs should last somewhere around 50000 hours which is about 2million miles of motoring at an average of 40mph.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

turbotazame
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by turbotazame » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:07 pm

That's the one think I got it new on eBay for £30 a bit of copper or alloy pipe does work but a cooler is much more affective at doing the job iv dune the same thing on my 110 and the fluid in both looks new as there's less thermal brack-down and the pump will last longer
drls look good have you tryed them on with the indicators going as thay may discolor the amber -possible mot problem' probably not but ya never know
Iv tryed led headlight bulbs in my 110 before thay wasn't cheep at £35 but it was like driving around with candles in then changed to a normal xenon super whites and its almost daylight ahead! Got the same in the vitesse aswell

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Like i said about LED headlamp bulbs, there's a lot of cr@p out there! Some of the bulbs are in fact only intended for show use to light the lamp but not put any light out as they are only about 400 Lumens - the ones i linked to are a total of 4000Lumens per bulb, 2000 dip and 2000 main. This is just about as bright as you can go legally and as you can see from the pics in that other thread, they put the xenon superwhites into the shade!

Those LED DRL bulbs automatically switch the DRLs off if the indicator comes on but you get a white-amber-white-amber-white sequence. The time delay relays i'm fitting will put the DRL off on whichever side is indicating and keep it off for at least the time for one more indicator flash like on the newest cars with combined DRL/Indicator lights. The DRLs will also stay off if the headlamps are on but will stay lit on sidelights as i have LED sidelight bulbs and the dim/dip doesn't work properly with the LED headlamp bulbs - full brightness almost so i'll disable the dim/dip and leave the DRLs on with sidelights to keep improved visibility.

I did think about changing the indicator bulb holder in the tail lights to gain an extra pair of reverse lamps when the indicators weren't being used - time will tell on that one! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

turbotazame
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by turbotazame » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:22 am

Like the idea of the drl auto switch over to indicators ill have to check that out
ya headlights maybe just legal but there's always the odd copper out there that likes to argue Even though it perfectly legal you wouldn't believe the amount of trouble iv had in the past with my n2o system even had one copper trying to impound the car! So not really interested in attracting much of the wrong attention!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:29 pm

I'll do a thread on it with a diagram etc when i do the DRLs. Know what you mean about the headlamps, round here the fuzz turn a bit of a blind (dazzled :wink: :lol: ) eye to headlamps as there are so many US spec cars with US spec headlamps dazzling everything that blindly crosses their path!
The other thing is i've managed to get new headlamps so i have that argument as well -- the reflectors are brighter/less tarnished than 20+ year old reflectors.

I'm still waiting for a copper to try and lecture me on torque steer as the 827s don't suffer from it due to equal length driveshafts - should be fun! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

turbotazame

Post by turbotazame » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:01 pm

yeah i put a new set of headlamps on mine a couple years ago and a new bonnet to do the vents in it, im still amazed you can still get new parts for these makes ya think whats out there still
ive had a 2 mk1 v6 vitesse,s in the past and an ex police 827si mk2 to be honest i dont think the v6s produce enouth power or torque to have any kind of torque steer problems