Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes I had bought the part already. This new image post is far better than bumbling around on photobucket
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Even better! That's £45 saved that you can use for the grease etc on the bushes/springs on the clutch pedal!

I can't remember who it is/was but they had recently done some work on the clutch and/or gearbox and the clutch felt soft, not very long travel etc, generally as if the slave cylinder was on its way or the clutch needed bleeding. The person in question accidentally caught their hoof under the clutch pedal, pulling it up another inch or three, further than the pedal return springs could lift it.
This restored normal clutch operation. That's why i suggested it as well as stopping the spring creak.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:24 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm
Even better! That's £45 saved that you can use for the grease etc on the bushes/springs on the clutch pedal!

I can't remember who it is/was but they had recently done some work on the clutch and/or gearbox and the clutch felt soft, not very long travel etc, generally as if the slave cylinder was on its way or the clutch needed bleeding. The person in question accidentally caught their hoof under the clutch pedal, pulling it up another inch or three, further than the pedal return springs could lift it.
This restored normal clutch operation. That's why i suggested it as well as stopping the spring creak.
That was me after 820 gearbox swap!

Darn thing felt REALLY weird - I thought I'd mixed up parts during the swap and had the wrong length clutch release arm fitted or something.

Manually hooking my hoof under the clutch and pulling it up, pressing down hard (rinse repeat) and it fixed itself! 8)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm

I thought it was you but was having a "Duh" moment and couldn't remember! :roll: :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Oil and Filter changed today (and a wash). Used a 10quid off coupon code and bought x7 new (old stock) 'Mann' Filters for £22.00 (free postage) thru 'carparts for less'; ebay. (I think there are only 3 left listed now)
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Check the oil seal carefully on the Mann filters Charles - there should only be one on it! Also check it's seated properly in its groove and isn't completely missing!
Had all three faults with Mann oil filters from ECP/Carpartssaver/carpartsforless - two seals stuck together (came in handy for the one a few filters later with no seal at all!) and one where it wasn't properly in its groove so skewed slightly out while fitting - all three things cause leaks.

Other than that, good deal, well done!

Must do an oil/filter change on mine as well! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 pm
Check the oil seal carefully on the Mann filters Charles - there should only be one on it! Also check it's seated properly in its groove and isn't completely missing!
Had all three faults with Mann oil filters from ECP/Carpartssaver/carpartsforless - two seals stuck together (came in handy for the one a few filters later with no seal at all!) and one where it wasn't properly in its groove so skewed slightly out while fitting - all three things cause leaks.

Other than that, good deal, well done!

Must do an oil/filter change on mine as well! :wink: :D
I noticed taking off the old filter (I say old but it was only 5000 miles ago I last changed) the seal came straight off.
Though there had been no leaks prior to changing. When I first bought the car, there was quite serious oil leakage and I would be putting in nearly 1litre of oil per week and hardly driving anywhere! This car has a tendancy to burn oil which I think is due to these V6 engines running very hot. I think I cured my oil leak problem in recent times by replacing the rocker cover gaskets, new oil bung, and oil stop leak solution at most changes. I've not had to top up between the last 2 changes. Plus, no leaks that I could see today after the change.
I used an engine flush as well and with new oil, it smells better!
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 pm

My Coupé was doing the same until recently Charles - nothing to do with running hot - or the LPG conversion as the MoT tester suggested!

Something much simpler and more easily overlooked in fact!

On top of the front rocker cover, there's a small rectangular raised portion that can be unbolted. Also there is a 10mm bore rubber hose leading to the plenum cover. Remove the 10mm bore hose (it might need renewing, they have a habit of collapsing internally, 10mm fuel or heater hose is fine) and unbolt the raised rectangular part of the front cover. Also unbolt the plenum cover.

Hold the part of the rocker cover with the stub uppermost and squirt carb cleaner down through it. Turn it up the other way (stub down) and squirt from the inside down, now repeat the first squirt (stub up).
On the plenum cover, clean the stub inlet the same way and you'll find about 6 holes in the top of the inlet manifold plenum. Clean those as well with the carb cleaner.

Dry the mating surfaces of the plenum, covers and rocker cover and those of the "O" ring seals and reassemble, preferably with a light smear of either Hondabond or Threebond 1215 (same stuff, different name but MUCH cheaper!) to ensure it seals properly - this is actually done in the factory when the engine is made.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREEBOND-121 ... 1438.l2649

Tighten everything down and start up - once the cr@p from the carb cleaner clears, you'll be surprised not only how much smoother it sounds but how much of the oil burning smell has gone!

Mine was really confusing me as sometimes it would chuck a puff of blue smoke out the tailpipes, others almost white as if a turbo had gone! :shock: :?
Now it doesn't. My Sterling has recently started to do similar so that will get the same treatment soon. Both cars run hotter than standard as i use the 82C 'stat from the 216/416 and until recently neither burned any oil.

Also to help keep the engine internals clean and the hydraulic lifters quiet (and clean) i usually add a small amount of ATF to the engine oil, about a pint/half-litre which not only does all that but keeps the seals in good condition and revives those that aren't great. It's a lot cheaper than "Stop Smoke" and similar treatments too!

Worst case scenario, even if the above doesn't stop the oil burning, it won't do any harm, will improve things and the PCV valve in the front rocker cover needs periodic cleaning anyway. I had a spare plenum cover that i sanded and painted before fitting :

Going to do similar with the Sterling and a better effort for the Coupé - they were going to be Rover Gunmetal but i couldn't find the primer so last minute change to that "Metal Look" gold. Needs a few days to fully harden though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 pm

That's really good all round advice Dave, I will set a date for this. I doubt the top/plenum has been cleaned for 25 years so now would be a very good time! I have some ATF which I'll add tomorrow.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:46 pm

If yours responds as well as mine did Charles you'll be glad you did it. Could also be worth cleaning out the throttle body as well which is something i should really have done as well. Next time i get the carb cleaner out maybe! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm

It's been a while since I shared an update, but I've not had very much to report since the car has been running very well most of the time for the most part.
I finally had that front wing replaced/repainted in the original colour (not cheap but a professional job and better compared to what I could have done with rattle cans!)
One issue I've noticed in the past 3/4 weeks is that the PGMFI light occasionally throws up on the dashboard during accelerating past 3000revs. The ECU red LED is flashing once every 3 seconds. (no idea at all) Hopefully somebody here cold help diagnose this please?
I've been using the car on a regular basis again these days. Nevertheless, I'm still trying to take care of the coupe as much as possible.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 pm

That's one of your Lambda sensors Charles, can't remember if it's front or back at the moment but if one has gone the other won't be far behind.

I'll find a pair of suitable ones on ebay for you and post the link, they're not too expensive. Replace them, pull fuse "S" from the underbonnet fusebox for a minute or so, replace, job done! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 pm
That's one of your Lambda sensors Charles, can't remember if it's front or back at the moment but if one has gone the other won't be far behind.

I'll find a pair of suitable ones on ebay for you and post the link, they're not too expensive. Replace them, pull fuse "S" from the underbonnet fusebox for a minute or so, replace, job done! :wink: :D
Thanks for the swift reply Dave. I wonder if this has something to do with the cat removal by any chance...
I guess one sensor should be in the cat and the other on the manifold?
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 pm

More likely to be old age or high mileage, they only last 80-100k miles anyway, by which time their performance is well down which puts your fuel consumption and emissions up and performance down.
In some parts of the USA, it's mandatory that cars are fitted with an "Emissions Timer" that counts down from 100k miles or ten years, whichever comes sooner. When the first one reaches zero, it puts a fault on the system so the Check Engine/MIL lamp is permanently on. It will only go off after new Lambda sensors and a new emissions timer have been fitted by an approved workshop aka main dealer.

The 827 is too early to have a Lambda anywhere near the cat, both are in the exhaust manifolds, one front and one back. The rear one is easier to change surprisingly but you'll need a 50mm deep Lambda socket and a good ratchet and preferably a long breaker bar.

This is the sensor, you'll need two and change the plug on the end or use a butt-splice to connect to the original plug on the original sensor :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-1-WIRE ... SwxX1ZxM6Y

I know it says Suzuki but it also fits Daewoo, Vauxhall, Honda, Rover and umpteen others. Same sensor though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 pm

I've noticed the performance to be very much 'down' for a while and fuel consumption; significant. The exhaust is the same one Brad had put on with a straight through in place of the cat, and this exhaust has only done 25k. I'm not certain if he had the sensors replaced as well.
Anyway thanks for the link. Hopefully when I get these replaced, the performance/mpg will be much 'improved'.
I've also been thinking to strip clean the EGR as well, but not really feeling plucky enough to tackle this component myself.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage