Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Post by CHR15E » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:15 am

Impact driver was always my weapon of choice on those.

Only the odd one wouldn't budge, then I drilled them out.

Just make sure you grease any new fittings well and it should be fine for years
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Apologies for the late reply. As one or two may know here, I've had broadband connection issues at home and I've not been able to access the net from my laptop/pc. :(
BT have finally found the problem and it was partly to do with my outside telephone wire, which thankfully BT have replaced with modern cables this week, and now I have broadband and slightly faster wifi..so happy days and no more need to use expensive mobile data for the essential stuff. :D

As yet I've not been able to get my bumper brackets done, as I've been unexpectedly busy with work and other niggling repair jobs at home, so I'm hoping maybe tomorrow now for the brackets.

I do need a rear bulb holder also, if any one has one; I've put more specific details in the wanted section of the forum. :)
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 am

Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of living! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:35 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 am
Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of living! :wink: :D
It's not half complicated at times, I'll put it this way :lol:
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:49 pm

I know the feeling! :shock: :lol: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon May 27, 2019 9:22 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything and I'm sorry to the members of the forum who follow the progress of this unusual Rover 800 Coupe. I had commitments at the end of last year and then a job change at the beginning of this year has kept me busy.

Seeing as though today is bank holiday Monday, I've got round to an update with the car. :D

The head gasket blew within weeks of me starting my new job. It was quite obvious this was the case. Power went down quite alot all of a sudden and the car ran horribly. :cry: Having parked the car up when I got home, I checked under the bonnet and all looked okay.
The car had actually been booked into the garage the falling day for an inspection. So I decided to wait until then.
The next morning I went outside to take the car for its mechanical inspection. I noticed a big pool of coolant under it.
Popped the bonnet, and I noticed in the radiator tank - no coolant at all. :shock:

Having got the car to the garage in the morning, the mechanic rang me later in the day. He told me he put coolant in and could not see where it was leaking from, but he did say that there was no coolant in the tank after he filled this up.
This led the mechanic to think that the coolant was evaporating inside the engine, possibly due to blown head gaskets. :|

So, with some trepidation I asked him to take the car to a head gasket and engine builder he knew of.

This engine builder checked the car and he confirmed what my mechanic had said - blown gaskets.
I was quoted £1000 including VAT for the work. This included 12 hours quoted labor and parts including;

the heads scim & pressure test
gasket set
head set
new water pump
timing belt
coolant
oil and filter (I provided)

After a week, the work was done, and I got a taxi ride to collect the car and empty my wallet - yet again. :(

Driving the car home was a more pleasant experience, but I knew I still had some lack of smoothness issue and slight misfiring.
Having myself replaced the spark plugs (again), dizzy and rotor arm before the head gasket issue - the misfiring still persisted. :?

So what I did next, was to replace the original coil pack. I managed to find the exact same (new old stock) Japanese made part from A.E Wilcox (MG Motor dealer).
This was posted last week and I fitted it the same day. There is a bracket that the coil pack mounts to. This bracket is bolted in the engine bay and has an electrical contact fed onto the bracket.

I cleaned the bracket and the contact; then fitted the new coil pack onto the bracket. Then it was just a case of bolting this assembled coil pack into the engine bay and putting all contacts back, including the bracket mounted one.

Car started and ran. Took the car for a test drive and all seemed okay. The performance had slightly improved.

However, there is still a slight misfire as before.

In 2014, some eagle eyed readers may remember (from Brads thread of this car) that I had the engine in the coupe, terra-cleaned.
Having done that job at the time, I reported in the thread that, this job had made no difference.

So... this leads me to think that maybe it is the fuel injectors that are bad?

I know of where to buy them on the internet; ...but they are bloody expensive!

Before I buy them, I hope an enlightened forum member may be able to help trace the problem; here's hoping.

In other news;

The coupe has just benefited from new EBC drilled and groved front disks, with yellow stuff pads...and...a brand new original equipment brake master cylinder!

Readers may remember from roughly one year ago the lengths I was going to, to find one of these. As it turned out, I finally found the same MG TF part on the Ebay arm of Best of British (or Best of Rover).
The master cylinder is the same, but the tank just needed changing over as discussed in this forum thread this time. last year.

At least now, I have quite a large improvement in my front brakes.

Unfortunately though, the car will require quite substantial underside welding repairs for the MOT in August.
I still have both sills from Simon to fit. The old ones have holes in them at either side of the car.
The jacking points have rusted to bits at both sides. There is a hole in the floor under the drivers seat.
There will also need welding done to the rear offside wheel arch and structural underside welding to be done, because the corrosion is within 30cm of a structural mounting point.

The saga never ends.
I have been very close to calling it quits with this car this year. But I will try and save up for the welding jobs now.
Then see what happens come MOT time in August.
:|
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Wow! You've been busy Charles! Funny, i was only thinking the other day i hadn't seen you on here for a while and was going to drop you a PM to see if all was ok.

About this misfire - can you remind me, have you got Lambda sensors? I'm fairly sure you have?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon May 27, 2019 10:01 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 pm
Wow! You've been busy Charles! Funny, i was only thinking the other day i hadn't seen you on here for a while and was going to drop you a PM to see if all was ok.

About this misfire - can you remind me, have you got Lambda sensors? I'm fairly sure you have?
Hi Dave! Nice to see you again! Yes the car had brand new lambda sensors fitted just before I had the OBX manifolds and full exhaust fitted with cat removed. The new lambda sensors were put onto the OBX manifolds, that had to be modified themselves to fit onto the 2.7 unit oddly enough.

I forgot to mention also, I have just fitted last week a good used MK1 radiator tank (I noticed the old one was split only after the head gaskets were done)
So this Mk1 tank is the thicker better made quality version thankfully and is in good condition.

Also done an easy mod last week and fitted a more sporty wire mesh grill and repainted my modified fog and daytime running light, surround bits with black bumper paint.
The front end looks fresher now too. :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 pm

Got some bad news for you Charles - chances are the Lambda sensors are toast. You'd almost certainly have had coolant getting into the exhaust when the head gaskets went and coolant is to Lambda sensors what Kryptonite is to Superman.

However, before condemning them completely, remove fuse "S" from the underbonnet fusebox overnight. I just hope the garage that did the work timed the cams correctly, wouldn't be the first time mistimed cams following HG repair have resulted in misfiring, poor emissions and general rough running.

The split Mk2 expansion tank - do you still have it? I'd be interested in depriving you of it subject to negotiation, i have an idea for making an aluminium replacement and need a pattern!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon May 27, 2019 10:18 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 pm
Got some bad news for you Charles - chances are the Lambda sensors are toast. You'd almost certainly have had coolant getting into the exhaust when the head gaskets went and coolant is to Lambda sensors what Kryptonite is to Superman.

However, before condemning them completely, remove fuse "S" from the underbonnet fusebox overnight. I just hope the garage that did the work timed the cams correctly, wouldn't be the first time mistimed cams following HG repair have resulted in misfiring, poor emissions and general rough running.

The split Mk2 expansion tank - do you still have it? I'd be interested in depriving you of it subject to negotiation, i have an idea for making an aluminium replacement and need a pattern!
I fear your right Dave, the lambda sensors could be toast. I will remove fuse S like you say (I had forgotten all about this fuse to be honest :roll: )

Unfortunately I decided to discard the split Mk2 expansion tank. Sorry :cry: I had thought about doing a plastic repair job, having read on the MG ROVER forum of somebody who did plastic welding.
Then I later thought maybe plastic welding is not such a good idea on an expansion tank that is designed to expand. :shock:
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:02 pm

No worries on the tank, i might have one or two floating around somewhere but i think i binned them for the same reason as you did.

By the way, it's the contents that expand, not the tank itself! :P It gets its name from the coolant expansion when it gets hot and the room it needs to expand. If the tank itself is expanding - there's a problem! :shock:

With the lambda sensors, if the head gaskets took a while to go, it could be they were effected for quite a while before the HG went. Try fuse "S" though, it's possible they didn't disconnect the battery when they did the HG so it would retain the memory from running as best it could on failing HGs. Even if they did disconnect the battery, it's possible when it was reconnected the ECU memory loaded up some random data and now has faults that have never existed.

Was thinking about that welding that needs doing - that's pretty much all of what a Coupe will fail on as far as welding goes, if you get it done and then use something like Bilt-Hamber rust prevention to stop it rusting again then it should last another 27 years.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:02 pm
No worries on the tank, i might have one or two floating around somewhere but i think i binned them for the same reason as you did.

By the way, it's the contents that expand, not the tank itself! :P It gets its name from the coolant expansion when it gets hot and the room it needs to expand. If the tank itself is expanding - there's a problem! :shock:

With the lambda sensors, if the head gaskets took a while to go, it could be they were effected for quite a while before the HG went. Try fuse "S" though, it's possible they didn't disconnect the battery when they did the HG so it would retain the memory from running as best it could on failing HGs. Even if they did disconnect the battery, it's possible when it was reconnected the ECU memory loaded up some random data and now has faults that have never existed.

Was thinking about that welding that needs doing - that's pretty much all of what a Coupe will fail on as far as welding goes, if you get it done and then use something like Bilt-Hamber rust prevention to stop it rusting again then it should last another 27 years.
Yes you are correct, the expansion tank itself shouldn't expand, at least on it's own accord :lol:

I was trying to remember where fuse S is in the engine bay? I'll do this tonight and leave the fuse out overnight and pop it back again when I next use the car.

The welding that needs doing is attributed in part to the fact that I never got those sections of the coupe properly painted and protected from the elements, having bought the car off Brad in a half finished painted state. That was back in 2013, and then it wasn't until 2016, that I finally finished those jobs. I left it too late, because I gave the rot chance to set back into the metal work again.
Had I finished the paint work off in 2013, the rot around the rear passenger wheel arch wouldn't be any where near as bad.

Then again, I did quite a proper good job of the drivers side rear arch in 2016, including using a couple of anti rust paint layering, three/four primer coats, top Rover colour coat, and two coats laqu'd finished. Its only taken three years since for the rust rot to set back into that section. Not sure if 3 years is good going or not...probably not considering the time and length I went to achieve the finish..and with rattle cans!
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:45 pm

Engine fusebox there Charles! ^^^^^

Maybe you've been unlucky with the welding but it's more like 6 years unless i've misunderstood something?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon May 27, 2019 11:50 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:45 pm

Engine fusebox there Charles! ^^^^^

Maybe you've been unlucky with the welding but it's more like 6 years unless i've misunderstood something?
Cheers Dave! :D 8)

I've had the car nearly 6 years; - but only had the drivers rear arch painted up properly for about 3 years; since 2016.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue May 28, 2019 5:23 am

Well Dave, I left the 'S' Fuse out overnight, as suggested. I went to take the car out this morning, popped the fuse back in and drove away.
I still have quite an obvious misfire. But oddly the performance and throttle response feels pleasantly improved. :o

Apart from the thought of the Lambda sensors, I'm wondering if this could be a timing issue also?

Just got some nice pictures with the roads completely deserted. I could do with painting the inside of the bonnet edges black, to match that new black wire mesh grill I think.

The lower rear quarter plastic trim fell off and was lost about 5 months ago. :roll:
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage