Scoobys 827 Sterling aka "Project Galactic Dawn"

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

austinpowers
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Scoobys 827 Sterling aka "Project Galactic Dawn"

Post by austinpowers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Oh ok, just the cruise control i recently fitted cuts off when the side lights are turned on and that has rear LED bulbs, the manual states that if both brake lights are blown the cruise won't work.

Even cuts out when i flash the main beam, but it's not a power outage due to the fact i can "resume" back up to the same speed where as if i turned it off the speed would be lost.. Anyhow didn't mean to hijack your thread :P
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 pm

That's really interesting Andy - i never knew that! I wonder if it's a Mk1 thing as i don't think i've seen that in the Mk2 manual.

Looking at the Electrical Diagrams for the Mk2, the dual-element brake light switch has one dedicated +12v switched feed to the cruise ECU and the other feeds the brake lights.

I'd hazard a guess the Mk1 uses a slightly different cruise ECU that responds to the resistance of the bulbs, feeding just enough current either to or from them to make a difference when the brake lights are used.

I don't have a Mk1 Electrical Manual handy - do you happen to know if they are earth switched on the brake light switch? :?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

austinpowers
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by austinpowers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:56 pm

The clutch switch is earth switched, but the brake is +12v switched.

I do have a MK2 CC ECU in my MK1 though..
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:16 pm

That's how the Mk2 is wired. Maybe there's an earth problem somewhere on the lights?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Talking of wiring, i did a little mod on my Coupé indicators to test it out - i've now transferred it to the Sterling as part of the project.

That's with the ignition on/engine running - LED Day Running Lights. When the indicators are used, the change to orange then back to white. I'm waiting to get hold of some "switchback" bulbs that will turn the white LEDs off while the indicator is working and stay off for a couple of seconds after the last flash.

When i get the switchback bulbs, i have a plan for the bulbs that are in there now and it involves the reversing lamps. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Nice mods Dave. On my Coupe I removed the old rusty foglamps and replaced them with two lamps at each side. The upper LED bank of lights act as daytime lights. When I press the standard foglamp switch on the dash, the LEDs switch off and the lower foglamps come on in exchange via relay. I'll get a pic up at somepoint.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks Charles - i'm trying to make all the mods as near factory as possible so they're not obvious until they're used.

I did buy a set of LED front fogs but it turns out they were listed incorrectly and are really only DRLs or "cruise lights" but they do just happen to fit the OE mountings for the OE front fogs.
For now though i'll be sticking with the aftermarket front fogs i have on it, i've got a pair of Ring Microline front fogs that fit really well into the OE slots but need brackets and the surround trimming slightly.

I am looking for a good (but cheap) H3 LED bulb for them, if i can't find one i'll use HIDs instead. If all else fails, there is a front fog used on the Range-Rovers that is LED, will need some modifying and/or brackets but should work well.

Be interesting to see your set up and maybe a link as well! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:53 pm

These were taken before I got the HID kit and the chrome lamps on the bumper installed.

The top photo shows the full beam (looks very dim compared to HIDs now) with the fog lamps on. (as you know on 800's the fogs on Mk2s only work with the full beams).
The lower photo shows the LED's which are on all the time (wired to ignition on position) and these only go off when the fog lamp switch is pressed on. That is the standard button on the dash.

I do have the wiring diagram somewhere, if I find it ever I will share that.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Those fog lamps look good Charles - what/where are they from?

The front fogs should only work on dipped beam, not full or sidelights only although i think under certain circumstances you can get the front fogs on with ignition/engine running and sidelights and can then also put the rear fogs on as well.
On the 800, switching to full beam turns the front fogs off if i remember rightly, been a while since i've been out at night in the fog!

I know on my Volvo i have a "normal" switch for the front fogs, once it's in the on position it stays there, doesn't switch off via CCU control. That means i can leave the switch in the fog position then flip between dipped and main beams and the inboard lamps swap from the lower one (full beam) to the higher one (fogs) - you can just see the inner lamps on the headlamps here :

You won't be surprised to learn i've got LED H4 bulbs in the outer beams on the Volvo and HID on the inner (fog and driving) lamps. Vast improvement over the standard halogens! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes sorry, thats what I meant to say instead, that on dipped beam the fogs are on. And thats the case still with my car.
The LED's and the fog lights are both RING brand (expensiveish but great quality)
Infact the foglights are really general auto lights so could be used as running lights. But they are brighter compared to the LEDs fitted here. They are called Ring micro lights and like the LEDs can be had from Halfords or some other auto outlets.
The Volvo looks good!
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks Charles - i found them on Rings website , not quite what i'm looking for though.

I've got a pair of these :

http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/produc ... ng/BRL055C

ready to fit, had them fitted on my Coupé for a while until i had to change the front bumper. Then i just fitted the bumper from the donor car complete.

Hunting for some decent H3 LEDs is harder than it sounds! I've found some but they're £55 a pair, some more on the same site for £11 each but they're not very bright and potentially too long for the Microlines - maybe they'll just get some HIDs instead! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Just checked Halfords site but I don't see either of my lights there. But should be available elsewhere I reckon.
I have to admit yours are in better keeping with the coupe considering the exterior look of these.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 am

Charles827si wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 pm
Just checked Halfords site but I don't see either of my lights there. But should be available elsewhere I reckon.
I have to admit yours are in better keeping with the coupe considering the exterior look of these.
Is this them Charles?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... ing-lights

I already have some aftermarket el-cheapo Chinese ebay front fogs with a blue "halo" which have got me through the MoT for many years. Think i'll just fit the Microlines as they are for now and look at HID conversion or see if i can find some good LEDs at a sensible price.
Now i have DRLs where the indicators are the need for separate DRLs isn't there anymore so can go with the Microlines. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 am
Charles827si wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 pm
Is this them Charles?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... ing-lights

I already have some aftermarket el-cheapo Chinese ebay front fogs with a blue "halo" which have got me through the MoT for many years. Think i'll just fit the Microlines as they are for now and look at HID conversion or see if i can find some good LEDs at a sensible price.
Now i have DRLs where the indicators are the need for separate DRLs isn't there anymore so can go with the Microlines. :wink: :D
Yes Dave, I have these fitted. Been 3 years and still working unlike the cheaper aftermarket ones you see fitted not so well to fronts of cars with one side not lit up. :?
They are still available at Halfords in that case.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Handy if you ever need a replacement Charles - hopefully you won't though!

I've just found my Microlines while hunting for something else so might look at getting those fitted in the near (ish) future. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate