Scoobys 827 Sterling aka "Project Galactic Dawn"

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Scoobys 827 Sterling aka "Project Galactic Dawn"

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:07 pm

It's the first time i've done this. I've modified cars in the past with different (bigger or more powerful) engines, occasional suspension tweaks, adding electric windows or PAS to cars that generally didn't come with them and so on but this is the first time i've done a series of modifications all based round a theme.

The inspiration for this was what Rolls-Royce did with the Phantom, launched in January 2001 and then the special edition Phantom Celestial 10 years later - in their words a "Showcase Car" to show what they could do with adding various different items, trim and so forth.

I don't have the budget of Rolls-Royce or teams of engineers to do all the various mods so progress, of necessity, has been slow - painfully slow at some points!

I'm not seeking to recreate a Phantom Celestial in a Rover 800 body, more my interpretation of what Rover might have done if they'd made a similar showcase car.
To fully embrace that ethos, many items have been done on a budget, exactly as they would have been done in the factory. As for a diamond studded headlining - forget it! Not even cubic zirconia! :P :lol:

Besides, it was meant to represent the sky at night over Goodwood when the Phantom Celestial was launched - i reckon Rover got it right with the OE headlining on virtually all models - the sky over Cowley is generally grey thanks to the weather! :wink:

By no means at all is it anywhere near finished yet. This is to introduce my project and update it to the state it's at now and at various times in the future. As such, it's still very much a "Work in Progress" and is likely to remain so for some time to come.

It might not be to everyones taste and will almost certainly upset the purists, however the car does get used and to that end i want it to be unique to me with certain enhancements and improvements that while they might not be immediately apparent, still offer an improvement on standard.

So far, this is what has been done in terms of upgrades/improvements :

6.5J x 16" wheels - necessary because the original wheels were damaged by "while-u-w8" tyre places using windy guns

LED headlight bulbs
LED tail light bulbs (Brake lights now stop/tail as well)
LED reversing lights
Front indicator LED DRL conversion
Interior lighting now by LEDs including instruments, switches, footwell lights etc
Later Stone Beige window switch cases and LED window switch illumination
Later Stone Beige/Blue piped heated seats
Prussian Blue carpet (ex Mk1)
Blue leather door card inserts on later Sterling spec door cards
Extra soundproofing
Hidden amplifier for rear uprated speakers
Front uprated speakers
Remote Control (Steering wheel mounted) for stereo
Alarm/immobiliser (RF) with visual confirmation of arm/disarm and remote boot release (not yet wired the boot release)

Probably missed a few bits there but here's a list of planned mods to add to the overall effect :

LPG conversion - multipoint to minimise power/economy losses
Mk1 sunroof panel
Vinyl roof covering
"Floating" centre caps on wheels
Hidden cup holders

There are a few other bits as well but not going to give all my ideas away just yet! :wink: :D

Some photos to follow, mainly of the soundproofing and interior as they are the most "visual" of the improvements.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Scoobys 827 Sterling aka "Project Galactic Dawn"

Post by Charles827si » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Sounds a great project Dave :D I take it your a (newer model) Rolls fan? :)

Look forward to seeing your work in pictures 8)
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks Charles - been a lot of work so far with plenty more to come!

I'm not actually a Rolls fan, slightly partial to the Silver Shadow and Spirit but the real inspiration was the idea of the "Showcase Model".

The idea of the best 800 Rover made and then make it better was what appealed. I know there are some that will say the best was the Vitesse or something else but the way i saw it when i started was it had to be an 827 so it had the biggest and smoothest engine and the Sterling for the standard equipment.
Originally the Sterling was the saloon and the Vitesse the Fastback so that pointed at a saloon. I spent quite a while looking for a dark blue (Oxford Blue) 827 then thought about my own car. That was the final bit of the jigsaw - the phrase "golden light of dawn" is often used. Mine is gold, dawn follows night when the stars are out so it's a natural, if slightly obscure progression and gave inspiration for the name of the project.

So there you have it - inspired more by the concept of the Phantom Celestial than the car itself.

Anyway, a few photos! The most recent addition has been the soundproofing and the Prussian Blue carpet so i'll start with those.

That's the soundproofing that was added in the cabin. The original soundproofing was also refitted :

The new door cards, carpets and B pillar trims - rear seat removed for access :

With the carpets, seats and door cards back in, the view that greets you as you open the drivers door :

What the rear passenger sees instead :

Also fitted while the interior was in bits was a twin USB charging socket that houses an integral voltmeter.

It's not wired in yet, it will be wired in when i do the blue cig lighter in the ashtray. I do however already have a USB charging socket :

I made that one from scratch several years back now. Also to give you a flavour of the window switches and the instruments :

Yes i have added a red LED inside the hazard warning switch to make the red triangle brighter and more red.

Plenty more to come but that will do for today! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 pm

The works looking good Dave. I've often thought about putting extra sound deadening/insulation under the floor carpet of my coupe.
I've got a cig lighter in the rear ashtray (genuine Rover item was brand new boxed but I had to cut the original plug off unfortunately).
I did the same in my MK1 but the wiring for the cig lighter was already there in the Mk1 including the connector..so all I had to do was simply plug the opposite connector of the lighter in and it still works now.

I also want to put a 12V socket in the boot too which would come in useful for using the motorised tyre inflator.
As for USB sockets, the bluetooth Kenwood System I have has a socket in the front of the single din display, and there is another connector at the bottom of the passenger footwell.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to find a wood style speedo binnacle clock surround (which is a very rare optional item that was an original Rover item too). As you can see from my picture, I fitted the chrome dial rings (eBay finest). It looks better against the background of the wood.. I do think.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks Charles - i also have a standard Rover cig lighter in the back, again not yet wired but will be when i do the USB sockets and change the front cig lighter for the blue one.

Have to confess i'm jealous about the wood instrument panel, i've heard they made them but not seen one.

The soundproofing is well worth it, especially the bit in the boot i did :

Those two bits drop the noise level a lot, tyre roar virtually gone!

Also used some 1/2" foam-chip carpet underlay to replace the 1/4" foam in the boot mat, gives the mat some more substance and makes things quieter too.

The wheel is only helping the glue to stick where it should. Excess underlay trimmed off the edge of the mat once dry.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:48 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:34 pm
Thanks Charles - i also have a standard Rover cig lighter in the back, again not yet wired but will be when i do the USB sockets and change the front cig lighter for the blue one.

Have to confess i'm jealous about the wood instrument panel, i've heard they made them but not seen one.

The soundproofing is well worth it, especially the bit in the boot i did :

Those two bits drop the noise level a lot, tyre roar virtually gone!

Also used some 1/2" foam-chip carpet underlay to replace the 1/4" foam in the boot mat, gives the mat some more substance and makes things quieter too.

The wheel is only helping the glue to stick where it should. Excess underlay trimmed off the edge of the mat once dry.
I wish I was more of a dab hand to do these kind of satisfying small detail jobs. The wood instrument panel I bought is the second one I have seen for sale ever on eBay. I should have bought the first one for sale a few years earlier because at the time it was £50 less than what I paid for mine (which was £110 inc. postage). I'm sure I saw these years ago in quite exclusive Rover brochures, but it's just been chance I've found this on eBay.

What make of sound proofing have you used there?

As for my boot, I took out the liner and insulation due to how badly my boot leaks.. and that's no surprise when there is a great rotten hole where the rain channel was on the right hand side of the boot corner next to the rear screen. :oops:
What I did with the rear light clusters was covered them with a type of foil insulation to 'try and stop' water and damp entering these. I had to replace one bulb cluster when I got the car since that old thing went bad.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:17 pm

It was this stuff i used Charles :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Roll-Car- ... SwoFVafL00

It may have been 5mm or 6mm but i'm fairly sure it was 3mm because i didn't want too much of a problem getting things refitted.

If you use some rust converter/killer on the hole in the channel round the boot to neutralise the rust then some chemical metal/JBWeld or similar and a small piece of metal formed to the right shape, you can effectively repair that hole, paint it if you like and then a new boot seal and you'll be surprised how dry your boot gets!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-cortina ... SwGotWq4Ae

You'll need 4m of it to do the boot - almost identical to the OE boot seal but well worth doing! Put the join at the bottom in the middle, preferably with some superglue to join the ends and seal nicely.
Also clear the drain holes in the boot lid, just inside the lower lip under the fog lights, a small cable tie works well to clear them.

Also worth checking the sunroof drains as although they might look ok, they have a habit of the inner hose shrinking and causing a gap between inner and outer on the join so if the flow of water is too fast, instead of backing up the drain hose it just runs out the join into the boot. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:55 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:17 pm
It was this stuff i used Charles :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Roll-Car- ... SwoFVafL00

It may have been 5mm or 6mm but i'm fairly sure it was 3mm because i didn't want too much of a problem getting things refitted.

If you use some rust converter/killer on the hole in the channel round the boot to neutralise the rust then some chemical metal/JBWeld or similar and a small piece of metal formed to the right shape, you can effectively repair that hole, paint it if you like and then a new boot seal and you'll be surprised how dry your boot gets!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-cortina ... SwGotWq4Ae

You'll need 4m of it to do the boot - almost identical to the OE boot seal but well worth doing! Put the join at the bottom in the middle, preferably with some superglue to join the ends and seal nicely.
Also clear the drain holes in the boot lid, just inside the lower lip under the fog lights, a small cable tie works well to clear them.

Also worth checking the sunroof drains as although they might look ok, they have a habit of the inner hose shrinking and causing a gap between inner and outer on the join so if the flow of water is too fast, instead of backing up the drain hose it just runs out the join into the boot. :wink: :D
:D :D Cheers. I do have some K-Rust converter somewhere, assuming that stuff doesn't (or hasn't already) expired/gone bad. Interesting point about the sunroof..worth while checking when I have my coupe back.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01 am

I meant the sunroof drains in the boot Charles - you can just about see the sunroof drain on this one which is the right hand one :

If you look at the (non-standard) white cable, follow it to the bottom you can see a black cable tie holding it in place. Above that in the photo is a factory "U" shaped strap designed to wrap round hoses, cables etc to hold them. Literally on the end of this in the photo, are two thick black pipes, one thicker than t'other.

That's the join of the sunroof drain.

There is a nice easy way of joining them without them ever coming apart in normal use again. Use one of these per drain :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-14MM-10M ... SwHaBWi4BJ

Ideally you need to remove the ridges from the small end - a lathe is good for this or if you don't have a lathe, a drill and a file or something along those lines.
Leave a little of the ridges so the hose grips and some impact adhesive (Evil-Stick or similar better known as Evo-Stick) to secure it permanently, the larger end just pushes into the valve as it's known, the elbow that goes through the body work and drains out onto the floor.

Talking of things going off in the tub, tube or whatever, my tin of Evil-Stick had gone off - just a grey jelly-like lump with no adhesive qualities at all! Bin! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Nice one Dave, I shall be following with interest.
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks Jez - any joy on that radiator at all?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:02 am

Oh bugger, I’ll do it this Arvo
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 am

xpuffin wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:02 am
Oh bugger, I’ll do it this Arvo
:D :D :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Nice project Dave, i wonder with all that sound deadening are you going for the same weight as the Rolls :P

Does your cruise control still work ok with the LED rear lights?
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 pm

austinpowers wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:57 pm
Nice project Dave, i wonder with all that sound deadening are you going for the same weight as the Rolls :P

Does your cruise control still work ok with the LED rear lights?
:lol: The soundproofing is incredibly light Andy, even the full 5m x 1m roll weighed almost nothing. Still got a reasonable amount of soundproofing left, i'll try to remember to weigh it and measure it to give you an idea later.

Cruise control works fine with the LED rear lights, good question in fact but the cruise takes the +ve 12v from the brake light switch when the brakes are used so it's not dependent on the resistance of the bulbs.
In theory you could remove the brake light bulbs and cruise would still work. There's also something in the back of my mind that says the brake light switch is different for cruise control and is simply an extra switch to put 12v onto the cruise ECU when the brakes are applied - i'd have to check the diagram to be sure though. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate