Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thunderbird 2, The Green Machine & Turbo Coupe

Post by scotty2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 pm

Cheers. Funnily enough it is still working at the moment. I'd have thought it would have leaked out by now. Might get them to check the leak again in case a false alarm. Will measure again in case.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:11 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 pm
Cheers. Funnily enough it is still working at the moment. I'd have thought it would have leaked out by now. Might get them to check the leak again in case a false alarm. Will measure again in case.
Good ideas! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:59 pm

It did stop working again soon thereafter. Unable to source a replacement so my air con guys will install a generic one They deal with tractors, combines and various coolers so can source a suitable one and make brackets.

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 pm

Wish I somebody 'round here that would do that. Nobody seems to care or be interested.

Or is it just me (in more ways than one)...
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:53 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:59 pm
It did stop working again soon thereafter. Unable to source a replacement so my air con guys will install a generic one They deal with tractors, combines and various coolers so can source a suitable one and make brackets.
Might be worth mentioning to them the 825 diesel condenser is the same part number according to Rimmers Scott - they may be able to get one (have one in stock even?) on sale or return and it might just be a perfect fit. :wink: :D

Fastback wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 pm
Wish I somebody 'round here that would do that. Nobody seems to care or be interested.

Or is it just me (in more ways than one)...
No, it's not you Mark and it isn't just you either. :P Nobody seems intersted in making the run of the mill stuff in this country anymore.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:28 pm

We measured the Coupe condenser and can confirm it seems to be the same as the 825D one that Dave linked to. The guys are looking at the books to try and find a reference but that link to the autodoc listing (out of stock!) does seem to be the one. Ta. Dave.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Re: Thunderbird 2 & The Green Machine

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:32 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:55 pm
And you didn't swing by mine so I could see my old girl all done up! :lol:
Where are you Dusan, and I'll make a point of it if passing?
[/quote]

Home is Cambridge.

Work is Huntingdon.

Drop me a line 07768 812968 or work phone 01480 764368

I would love to see my old car in the metal again. Just been talking about it with a good friend of mine hence the checking back up on here to see if any new updates :lol:
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:08 pm

I certainly will. I need to visit Duxford again (when open) so that would tie in!

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:07 pm

Update. Coupe has new condenser from Italy. Now nice and cold when needed. (See car parts wanted for a pic).
Got a call from my son Harry this morning... Dad, the oil is coming out of my car... Suspected holed sump on TGM. Off with a trailer and his Mr Bean Mini to swap out this afternoon. Dave, before I look at the book, please tell me a sump change is really really straightforward. ;-)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:58 pm

I could Scott but i'd be lying! From memory (it's a long time since i played with a T-Series!) the downpipes have to come off, bellhousing slackened but not removed, engine mounts loosened then drain the sump and undo the bolts that secure it. Lift the engine a little to enable you to wriggle the sump out but i'm hoping it's going to be something much simpler for you!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:01 pm

OK. Temporary repair on TGM sump using a metal repair compound (ROCOL Metal repair compound). Gave it a good clean then washed with acetone to ensure no oily residue. The compound was pretty stiff to mix and starts to go off fairly quickly but the gouge in the sump was a good shape for repair.

Put a bit of oil in 24 hrs later and Whoo Hoo no drips. New filter and oil added with the obligatory TQF as well so Dave doesn't chastise me ;-)

Oh and a bonus when searching through my stash of spares:

So I'll get No 1 son to clean it up ready for fitting as a punishment for damaging the sump in the first place!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:34 pm

That's a nasty gouge there Scott! I doubt he did it deliberately, maybe didn't even know he'd done it!

I was shocked the other week to notice i've scuffed some of the heatwrap off my front pipes in a similar area - i blame speed humps!

Fingers crossed no damage done to the internals running with low/zero oil! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:18 pm

TGM is running OK with no rattles or indication of damage so he was lucky.

On another note, the Vitesse has just passed it's MOT with just a headlight adjustment.
(Headlight adjustment must be the new "retest" issue. Nearly all my cars tested in the last two years have needed "headlight adjustment" despite being OK the year before and me not seeing any changes in pattern...)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:52 pm

Congrats on the Coupe pass Scott! I can't remember the last time i had to have headlight adjustment on the MoT - having my own Beamsetter helps though! :wink:

Also i make a point of emptying the boot of any and all junk before the test to lift the back up a bit as usually it's weight in the back that lifts the front and makes the beams too high.

Also a lot of testers don't bother to check the setting of the control where the coin tray used to be and making sure it's on zero for an unladen car. Most owners have no idea what it's for either........... :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:23 pm

Update:
TGM: MOT'd and bit of an issue with a misfire on start up. Sprayed with WD and seems to be cured. It has been very damp and cold and the car only moves at weekends for now. Started locking itself again now the weather is cold and damp. I bought some of the microswitches but have not had the enthusiasim to fit any as I'm not sure which door is causing it!

TB2: Put into storage for a while as I have been using the Coupe. Brought out for an MOT and found the brake pedal going to the floor. Master cylinder gone. Having new rear disc, pads, and a master cylinder for Xmas!

Vitesse: Developed a strange steering glitch where it took an effort to move it from straight on (like it had lost hydraulic power) but when "forced" to turn, it went back to normal. Fault has not recurred since my last long motorway journey. Rear carpets found sodden, so I have a little fan heater inside the car drying it out while so I can trace it to sunroof or other leak. When I get TB2 back, I'll take the Coupe off the road for a bit of investigation on the steering and leaks.

Here's to a better year next year.