Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Thunderbird 2 & The Green Machine

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 pm
Wow! Every day is a school day. I''ll measure the charging voltage to check, but that article looks like a solution if I have, I mean he has (!) a problem.

Thanks.
Tell me about it! I didn't expect to have to relearn charging circuits/voltages this late in the game! :shock: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am

Update.
TB2 - I have acquired a re-soldered fusebox so hope to exchange that soon to see if it cures the window issues. Funny how the car seems to know when it is about to start raining and when the windows are down... New middle box fitted as it had started blowing.

TGM - Sounds like an OSR rear wheel bearing is going as there is a distinct rumbling which is a bit louder on left hand bends. Power steering pump a bit grumbley occasionally so sourcing a replacement. QVB10023 might be the number if that is the one for cars with air con.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:44 am

scotty2 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am
Update.
TB2 - I have acquired a re-soldered fusebox so hope to exchange that soon to see if it cures the window issues. Funny how the car seems to know when it is about to start raining and when the windows are down... New middle box fitted as it had started blowing.

TGM - Sounds like an OSR rear wheel bearing is going as there is a distinct rumbling which is a bit louder on left hand bends. Power steering pump a bit grumbley occasionally so sourcing a replacement. QVB10023 might be the number if that is the one for cars with air con.
Cold and damp usually make dry joints act up so no surprise there! I have a dry joint in the fuel gauge on my Volvo 760 but in typical Volvo fashion, they've taken a simple idea and complicated the bejeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzus out of it and i can't for the life of me see half the joints in there (even with a magnifier) never mind the dry joint!
As such, in cold or damp weather, the fuel gauge has the work ethics of a 1970s coal miner, hot, dry, sunny weather, it tells me a tale of woe!

I've suggested a possible cure for the noisy steering pimp on the other thread about the PAS pumps, worth trying first and will clean the rack out if you do have to replace the pump after. :wink: :D

If you do have to change the rear wheel bearing, make sure you get one for the correct side - they are different sizes (don't know why) and if you get it wrong, one won't fit and the other will be too loose.

Was it you that was after a coolant pipe for a T-series engine? I know someone did but i can't find their thread now that i've found the pipe! :roll:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

hickmick
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by hickmick » Mon May 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Was it you that was after a coolant pipe for a T-series engine? I know someone did but i can't find their thread now that i've found the pipe!
It was me! Please let me know what you want for it.
I did get the battery exchanged under warranty, the one I bought last year had packed up. Still need to give the brakes a wire brushing to get rid of surface rust from standing idle, and get it booked in for MOT.
Mike

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:00 pm

I'll get some pics of the pipe and you can say yay or nay as to whether it's the right one and we can go from there. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:24 pm

hickmick wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:18 pm
Was it you that was after a coolant pipe for a T-series engine? I know someone did but i can't find their thread now that i've found the pipe!
It was me! Please let me know what you want for it.
I did get the battery exchanged under warranty, the one I bought last year had packed up. Still need to give the brakes a wire brushing to get rid of surface rust from standing idle, and get it booked in for MOT.
Mike
Here you are Mike, pics of said coolant pipe :

Last one is how i'm fairly sure it would be seen in the engine bay, just for reference with the wheelie bin assuming the role of the cylinder head/rocker cover.

If that looks like what you need, drop me a PM with an offer, as far as i'm aware it's never been fitted to an engine but the part number has worn off the label stuck on it so it's difficult to verify which model exactly it's from.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:16 pm

It wasn't me for the pipe. I was after the trim off the AC panel.
I'll check my pipes condition in case it would be good to have one "just in case".

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Tue May 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi Dave,
That's different to the one on my car, it looks to be a larger diameter than mine, which in itself probably wouldn't be a problem, but the brackets look to be in different positions. I will have to check and get back to you. Thanks for your efforts though.
Mike

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 pm

I've just checked some pictures I have of my engine bay and the pipe is not only smaller diameter but also has a set in it at the 90 degree bend, where it drops by about 40 - 50 mm.
Thanks anyway, I will probably do as you suggested, and fabricate one from copper pipe.
Thanks again
Mike

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Nothing like the set in this one that drops the end of the pipe about 40-45mm then?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Tue May 07, 2019 5:57 pm

I hadn't noticed the set in your pipe, but now that you mention it I can. I will take some measurements of mine and relay them to you and perhaps we can ascertain if it would fit. What approximate diameter would you say your one is? It looks like at least 25mm, maybe more. I think mine is about 15mm with the ends swaged up to around 20mm for the hoses.
Mike

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 pm

My digital vernier says it's 31.97mm diameter so i'd say about 32mm approximately. :P

If yours looks like 15mm it's almost certainly 16mm (standard heater hose bore size) and the ends will still be 16mm with swages on. That said, using 15mm domestic copper pipe and a Yorkshire fitting soldered on each end to provide the swages unless you have a swageing tool.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 am

TGM has had an OSR wheel bearing changed and a set of rear pads. Garage did wheel bearing and we did pads. Quite a good set up on the rear brake system. No issues and took us less than an hour all in (not wheel bearing).
Firstline FBK125 R/H Rear Wheel Bearing Kit Fits Rover 800 Series 1991 - 1999 - Part number for info.

TB2 has had oil and filter change. Looks like it will need a crankshaft oil seal.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:43 am

Can i ask what method you used on the rear pad change? There's a very common mistake of omitting a couple of vitally important steps that not many people know of.

Try adding 0.5L of ATF-U to TB2s engine oil, it might just revive that rear crank oil seal enough to stop the weep.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am

The sliding caliper set up is something I have worked on before at least very similar.
Critical steps are:
Do not have the handbrake on.
Follow manual as in: Unbolt caliper retaining bolts, withdraw caliper, remove old pads, clean, open bleed with a length of plastic pipe on it, wind in pistons clockwise and line up one of the grooves with the pip on the newly fitted pads.
Close bleed, replace caliper ensuring the pip locates in the groove, replace retaining bolts.
Start engine and pump brakes until the pistons have taken up the slack. Check rotation of hubs with brakes on and off to ensure free play when off.
Refit road wheels and check handbrake operation.
Lower car back on the road and torque up wheel nuts.

There - Did I pass ? ;-)

I also lubricated the handbrake mechanism while there, oh and the ABS light had come on after the wheel bearing repair so I wire brushed the toothed wheel both sides and that has now gone out! Bonus.

ETA: I put some friction fighter and seal conditioner into TB2 when doing the oil change so will see if it improves...It does seem more responsive - I'll see if my mpg has improved.