apologies for all the questions

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Robert
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

apologies for all the questions

Post by Robert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 am

Hi all just thought I better post in here to apologise for all the questions I have been posting, my '99 coupe has been sitting off the road now for a few years and I have now decided it was too good to scrap, so starting to repair/renew stuff to get it through its mot and then gradually get it back to looking the part. so starting with the rear brakes as its currently sitting tail up in the air, and all I have been doing lately is asking questions, so now parts ordered and will have time for a read through the forum and try to catch up and remember tips from years back.
Robert
a pic of the work starting, what do you think of the side skirt lol
'99 vitesse coupe Charleston Green , ‘03 MG ZTT 190+ Anthracite

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: apologies for all the questions

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 am

This is the place for questions! We have a few very experience R800 people in here and I must say it is always a pleasure to ask questions as the experts reply with interest and good advice! I must say I hold this forum ten times higher than the Facebook page as everything is so unorganized there (because of Facebook).

I would like more people to join in and become more active here again as it is really a fountain of knowledge.

So thanks to all involved in administrating the site and thanks to all of you active in helping the rest of us out!

PS. Sideskirt looks very LeMans! :D
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 am

It would be really great if this coupe returns to the road when given the tlc it needs.
A very rare example now in this colour. Charlston Green I think?
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Robert
Rover Guru

Post by Robert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Charles827si wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 am
It would be really great if this coupe returns to the road when given the tlc it needs.
A very rare example now in this colour. Charlston Green I think?
Yes Charleston green, funny always wanted an oxford blue with chrome or a bolero red but bid for this and ended up going all the way down to brighton for it, bought it and went into the local filling station and was approached by two different people who offered to buy it
'99 vitesse coupe Charleston Green , ‘03 MG ZTT 190+ Anthracite

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:14 pm

It's a very under-rated colour and probably didn't sell well when new because it was "different". People in the late 90s weren't interested in "different" sadly.

The big reason we're all on here is to promote and preserve these cars - questions are a huge part of that as it passes knowledge to people who need it and also to those who might not need it now but remember it when someone else needs to know in the future.

Things change with time, i've just replied to your brake nipple query, i got mine from Amazon but it seems nobody on there lists them these days, found an alternative on fleabay, much cheaper as well. This is an example of why a question rarely becomes stale. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 pm

It wouldn't surprise me you've had offers. These coupes are rare and attract attention whereever they go.
I was offered 5k for my car by a couple of lousy sales men at Lancaster Jaguar.
I might have said yes if they offered me a test drive in the F-type like I asked.
They lost out on both a jaguar sale and a purchase since assuming I had no money.
They knew I had a 2 year old hyundai all paid for however.
I won't go there again safe to say.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Reminds me of a few years ago, i was part way through polishing my Coupe and i parked to do some shopping and was approached by someone who offered me £5k on the spot for it.

While talking to him i learned he was the previous owner of the gold Coupe that ended up with Olive Drab bumpers (remember thant one?) and he proudly admitted to that debacle! I've also had offers on my Sterling saloon as well so there are people out there that can and do pay a lot of money for 800s, just sadly not at the moment as the values are a bit deflated.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:27 pm

The market for 800s generally speaking has never been a certain positive/negative used market.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Even in the late 90s an older 800 could be had for £200/300.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 pm

On the colour: it was actually a late Vitesse in that colour that made me look into the 800 coupe. I had a 216 coupe and it was getting too much of a boys racer to me, and there was a guy on Rovertech that had a 820 Coupe in that colour. I think he was Military/Army and posted regularly. I remember it was beautiful! Maybe the same car?! It ended up with me finally finding the White gold coupe. Never looking back! It is a million times nicer than the 200 coupe.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98