827 Coupe in Estonia

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Random Hero
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

827 Coupe in Estonia

Post by Random Hero » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Hello, I am a new user to this forum and I decided to join because I bought my first car a few weeks ago.

The car itself is a 1993 Rover 827 Coupe with an automatic transmission. It cost me about 1000 GBP (1700USD), being still relatively cheap where I live. I chose the Rover over the competitors, because there was nothing competing with it - for the same amount of money I could have bought a Calibra or Omega/Carlton about the same age. or an old worn-out BMW.

Pros:
really comfortable as you all know.
Seems to be in somewhat "sturdy" condition with the main parts in good order, but with some parts slightly neglected, see below.
best looks for it's price.
Interior has little flaws, the usual wear and tear for it's age, but still looks really neat

Cons:
Electrics are acting up. I was already told to look for gremlins in the fuse box, that I will.

Some negligence: the left wheel bearing (not sure if this is the correct term) is shot, I already bought a new one but changing it has become a headache, since everything is rusted shut.
When working on the wheel bearing, we discovered that the brake disc is as good as totaled, same goes for the brake pads.

Left headlight is glued together badly, will have to glue it up better.
Right headlight has a small plastic cover missing from the turning signal. no biggie, only optical.

driver side back window was smashed in and was replaced by cheap Plexiglas. It wouldn't be a problem if some idiot hadn't had the idea to nail it shut with giant studs. The chrome trim was lost in the process.

Small dent in the front fender.

S4 light blinking green on the dashboard. If someone can help me with this one, I'd be very grateful, since I have no idea why it is blinking.

Big issue: all the parts cost a fortune and are hard to come by.

Everything is still outranked by the feeling that I am the proud owner of a Rover 827 Coupe, there are probably less than 10 such cars in the whole country, maybe only 2-3. And as long as I can keep it running, I'll have one of the best looking cars out there.

BTW, is it possible that it is a Sterling or a Vitesse? How do you differentiate between them?

The Professor
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by The Professor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Welcome.
That looks very smart in white gold which was a popular colour.
You have a Rover sterling, i dont believe they ever made a Vitesse with the 827 engine. The Honda engine is a mighty fine engine and very economical for its size.
The coupe is a desireable car and very rare i would say in LHD. :D
Glyn
Image Image

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Welcome to the site.

827 coupes were just known as coupes or V6 coupes. It was only after a facelift in 1996 that they then had Sterling and Vitesse variants. Yours is the best anyway as the Honda engine is the best IMO.

With your S4 light you need to have a look under your passenger seat and locate the autobox ECU. You'll then see an LED flashing on it. Count the flashes as that will relate to a specific fault. Do this while the car is running I should add.

I think there's a fault coded list in the FAQ's on here. If not just ask and one of us will tell you.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

ice man
Regular Visitor

Post by ice man » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Hero.

Nice choice of car by the way! :wink:

I too found the coupe to be the best car for the money by far. I just won't tell the neighbors what it cost me!

In terms of Sterling or vitesse, as above it wasn't specified pre '96, however you have the same seats and wheels as my 98 Sterling.

Welcome aboard and good luck with the improvements!

Trev
Mazda 323F 1.5 lxi

Previously...
98 Rover Sterling Coupe
95 Vitesse Saloon (nightfire)
96 820sli Saloon
97 820si Flame Red Fastback
1992 820 si Saloon
1990 820se Mk1

Trev.

The Flying Dutchman
Rover Guru

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Hello Hero. Nice car. And at last one with the steering wheel on the right side....or is it the left side....or is the left side the right side? Never mind, it's too late for me. :roll:
Job.

'73 P5B Sal.
'94 220 Coupe
'96 220 Coupe
'95 827 Coupe
'97 820Si
'99 600SDi Classic
'69 Herald 12/50

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:14 pm

The Flying Dutchman wrote: Never mind, it's too late for me. :roll:
We already knew that. :lol: :wink:
Chris

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I bet most people in the UK wish they could have an 827 coupe as their first car and continental petrol prices !!!!
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Kyle wrote:I bet most people in the UK wish they could have an 827 coupe as their first car and continental petrol prices !!!!
1 liter of petrol with the octane rating of 98 costs 0.784 GBP here. And it doesn't bother me, not that I am a rich kid, but I live in the middle of a town with a population of 100 000, so I can usually walk and need the car only for showing off :P

Will check the ECU LED.

Since I am a photographer and I'll be doing all the repairs together with a good friend of mine, I'll post some updates .... one day.

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Kyle wrote:I bet most people in the UK wish they could have an 827 coupe as their first car and continental petrol prices !!!!
1 liter of petrol with the octane rating of 98 costs 0.784 GBP here. And it doesn't bother me, not that I am a rich kid, but I live in the middle of a town with a population of 100 000, so I can usually walk and need the car only for showing off :P

Will check the ECU LED.

Since I am a photographer and I'll be doing all the repairs together with a good friend of mine, I'll post some updates .... one day.
It costs 0.915GBP here in the UK at the cheapest stations, down from 1.20GBP at the height of the petrol prices !

How many miles has the car done?

No insurer would insure a first time driver on an 827 coupe, perhaps the insurance is more relaxed there? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I live out in the sticks and drive 300 miles a week !

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:30 pm

I actually never checked the odometer and when I finally looked at it, the number was too small to be real, so I believe it has been tempered with. Will check up on it.

I know that the car has been standing still for ages, hence the rusted brake discs. For some reason, it has been continuously purchased by students and housewives, who have no license and just let it stand in the yard. Me being no exception and still driving a driving school Yaris with yellow stickers and a warning sign on top.

I am 20 years old. The insurance would have cost me an arm and a leg, 380GBP/year to be exact. That is 1/3 of the price I paid for the car itself. I registered the car to my father, who has never had an accident and now the insurance is only 70 pounds a year. His '93 Astra costs him around 50 pounds, so there isn't a big difference coming from the car, but mostly from the age and location of the owner.

rickt500
Rover Guru

Post by rickt500 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 pm

A new 20 year old driver would pay about £1000 to insure a 1ltr Corsa over here !, and would find it almost impossible to insure the coupe.
Richard T

1949 Rover 60
1989 820e T16 Conversion
1972 Rover 2000 project

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:54 pm

Random Hero wrote:I actually never checked the odometer and when I finally looked at it, the number was too small to be real, so I believe it has been tempered with. Will check up on it.

I know that the car has been standing still for ages, hence the rusted brake discs. For some reason, it has been continuously purchased by students and housewives, who have no license and just let it stand in the yard. Me being no exception and still driving a driving school Yaris with yellow stickers and a warning sign on top.

I am 20 years old. The insurance would have cost me an arm and a leg, 380GBP/year to be exact. That is 1/3 of the price I paid for the car itself. I registered the car to my father, who has never had an accident and now the insurance is only 70 pounds a year. His '93 Astra costs him around 50 pounds, so there isn't a big difference coming from the car, but mostly from the age and location of the owner.

Its hard for us to compare because your costs of living are much lower. How much does a loaf of bread cost in your country - that would make it easier to compare.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Kyle wrote:Its hard for us to compare because your costs of living are much lower. How much does a loaf of bread cost in your country - that would make it easier to compare.
Only if you know how much it costs here. :lol:
Chris

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:29 pm

CHR15E wrote:
Kyle wrote:Its hard for us to compare because your costs of living are much lower. How much does a loaf of bread cost in your country - that would make it easier to compare.
Only if you know how much it costs here. :lol:
Having said that bread varies a lot in price depending on brand.....and of course sell by date...reduced counter :)

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:30 pm

The old standard is "how much does a Big Mac cost".
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT