827 Coupe in Estonia

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Random Hero
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Random Hero » Sun May 17, 2009 3:06 pm

the main suspect is still the oil. The first gear feels really sluggish, no power at all, even though the engine is giving it's best. God be merciful when it has to crawl up a curb. There has also been a groaning noise coming from somewhere in the front-middle, where the transmission should be.

I just read in whitelion's topic that the gearbox oil should look pinkish like cherry soda. It does not.

whitelion58
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by whitelion58 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:33 pm

Does the car actually move in any gear, or just a horrible grating sound?

One possible cause could be that a CV joint was not properly pushed onto the drive shaft when you reassembled it. I am embarrassed to say that happened to me not too long ago. Are you absolutely sure that the joint "clicked" home over the ring on the drive shaft? I though it had, and all went back together okay. Drove okay for a few miles, then on full lock, leaving a junction it just popped out, leaving the car immobile and a grinding noise coming from the front.

Also just seen a post on yahoo of someone having the end break off the driveshaft, which is very very rare.

Recommend jacking up the front, place it in Drive ( engine off) and see if you can turn either front wheel - you should not be able to!

Let us know how it goes, and good luck with the exams! (my son just finished his finals, daughter takes hers in two weeks time)

Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun May 17, 2009 8:20 pm

whitelion58 wrote:One possible cause could be that a CV joint was not properly pushed onto the drive shaft when you reassembled it. I am embarrassed to say that happened to me not too long ago.
Me too!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Passed the MOT test today...barely. Actually, we drove up to the shop or whatever I should call it, one of the inspectors comes up to me, knocks on the plexiglass side-rear window and tells me to just get lost and come back when I have put in a new glass that in case of a crash wouldn't slash the people inside. After a minute of discussion about the car itself in general (and in no way did we hint that he should leave an eye shut) he asks me to hand over the registration, a guy comes up, pokes every potential flaw spot and then they notice that BOTH front indicators have no glass on them. Their reaction: "guys get lost...ah eff it, they work". :D The emissions, brakes and everything else was in good order and in the end they surprised us by handing us the papers with a signature next to "next MOT: june 2010" The main emphasis of the one guys being: "go easy on the boys, it's a rare car and you can't get all the parts you want, so as long as they work, let's not mind the details."

Other nitpickings: the extinguisher had expired, one of the license plate lights was not working, something was dodgy with the headlights. Still haven't changed the gearbox oil, so starting off feels really sluggish.

The front indicators should have been here today, they aren't.

Also, graduated the driving shool, only thing left now is to pass the state exams.

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:02 pm

That's quite a story. But in the end the only important thing is that it passed. Congratulations mate! 8)
One more year of trouble free motoring.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Manalishi wrote:That's quite a story. But in the end the only important thing is that it passed. Congratulations mate! 8)
I know that I am somewhat a storyteller. But still, it amazed me that they found so many flaws and just ignored them. Good for me, but makes me somewhat think about the cars on the streets.

Also, should I have a keyfob, did all 800s come equipped with one? How can I make sure if the car never had one or if it has just been lost?

Also, is it normal for the aircon to "live"? Since it has been hot as hell lately, it has been put into good use, but when the aircon is idling, some weird noises come from somewhere in the dash. maybe a fan motor at the verge of death?

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Manalishi wrote: That's quite a story. But in the end the only important thing is that it passed. Congratulations mate! 8)
I know that I am somewhat a storyteller. But still, it amazed me that they found so many flaws and just ignored them. Good for me, but makes me somewhat think about the cars on the streets.

Also, should I have a keyfob, did all 800s come equipped with one? How can I make sure if the car never had one or if it has just been lost?

Also, is it normal for the aircon to "live"? Since it has been hot as hell lately, it has been put into good use, but when the aircon is idling, some weird noises come from somewhere in the dash. maybe a fan motor at the verge of death?
I meant that in a positive way offcourse, I love to read these stories. And I love to write them myself aswell. :wink:

I'm far from an expert here, but surely all R800 must have had a fob. Do you only use your key?

A/C, no idea, except that there is a small fan behind the black plastic hatch behind the aircon switches. It can be removed and cleaned. I have no idea what it does but it's fairly easy to take apart and clean with a brush. I saw a post on here somewhere and did it myself a week ago.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:58 pm

yes, I am only using the key and like mentioned in some thread - the locks do work backwards. So, is there a way for me to get a keyfob or make something work? I have zero experience with them, but logic tells me that it still is a key and is not as easily replaceable as some random part.

EDIT: did some research, a random programmable universal remote should do the trick.

Mike V
Rover Guru

Post by Mike V » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Congrats on the MOT. Nice to see the 800 get some recognition, unless of course they were just being lazy?! :lol: :lol:
MIKE V

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Random Hero wrote:yes, I am only using the key and like mentioned in some thread - the locks do work backwards. So, is there a way for me to get a keyfob or make something work? I have zero experience with them, but logic tells me that it still is a key and is not as easily replaceable as some random part.

EDIT: did some research, a random programmable universal remote should do the trick.
On the earlier MK2 cars you can just swap the receiver (between the sun visors) with a matched fob(s).

Then it'll work perfectly.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

KV6Nutcase

Post by KV6Nutcase » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Random Hero, you are pure magic, how the Russians ever thought they would keep a people like you under their thumb I will never know.

I was in Estonia some twenty five years ago and it was a tad cold with ice several feet thick at the berth.

To have kept at it all this time whilst being educated as well was a labour of love.

Reading through your script the pipe thing tool would be called a pair of Stilsons or a perhaps a "Mole" wrench but I suspect that the Stilsons would be the tool.

Well done, keep up the good work.
Blessed are the cracked, 'cos they let in the light.

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:05 pm

so, the Rover Coupe Sterling, the flagship of Rover, the most expensive car with every possible luxury item of that period... it was kinda embarrassing to push it in the middle of the most pedestrian-filled street of my town. The reason: when my friend put in reverse, horrible grinding noises came from the gearbox. Those who have driven something that's box isn't synchronized know the sound. Also, the car was taken to a 500km trip and my friend suspected that the 4th gear did not engage.

So, my question to you, how many rpm should the 2,7 engine be doing at a 100km/h or 65mph highway cruise. it was said to be about 3000 which is too much for a V6 engine.

Also, the front indicators are still missing. Should have been here by thursday.

Can't change the oil until we build the '83 Audi 100 Avant together in the garage. And that might take a while.

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Random Hero wrote:so, the Rover Coupe Sterling, the flagship of Rover, the most expensive car with every possible luxury item of that period... it was kinda embarrassing to push it in the middle of the most pedestrian-filled street of my town. The reason: when my friend put in reverse, horrible grinding noises came from the gearbox. Those who have driven something that's box isn't synchronized know the sound. Also, the car was taken to a 500km trip and my friend suspected that the 4th gear did not engage.

So, my question to you, how many rpm should the 2,7 engine be doing at a 100km/h or 65mph highway cruise. it was said to be about 3000 which is too much for a V6 engine.

Also, the front indicators are still missing. Should have been here by thursday.

Can't change the oil until we build the '83 Audi 100 Avant together in the garage. And that might take a while.
70mph is 3000 rpm in an 827 automatic
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Kyle wrote: 70mph is 3000 rpm in an 827 automatic
Still, it shouldn't be doing only 20mpg. (12l/100km)

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Kyle wrote: 70mph is 3000 rpm in an 827 automatic
Still, it shouldn't be doing only 20mpg. (12l/100km)
I'd say that you'd have to be driving quickly to be doing that mpg.

Normal driving should see 25mpg
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar