827 Coupe in Estonia

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Kyle
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kyle » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Richard Moss wrote:Coupes tend to leak through a bad seam in the boot channel. Someone with a coupe may be able to show where this seam is.
I would agree with this. The water can get in through the broken seam, best solution is to reseal it with something. I will try to get a photo in the next day or two.
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Gludenscrude » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:36 am

Just wanted to say

a) well done for getting as far as you have, we sometimes feel we have it bad getting parts etc, so you have put us to shame when we grumble :)

b) be assured that the hard work will be worth it, when you have sorted the gremlins you will have one of the classiest cars in the country regardless of what some may say.

Martin
Martin

Rover 827SLi Manual Fastback "K"
Rover 827 Sterling Automatic Fastback "M"
Rover 827 Vitesse Automatic "H"
Toyota Celica Cabriolet "J"

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 am

Gludenscrude wrote:Just wanted to say

a) well done for getting as far as you have, we sometimes feel we have it bad getting parts etc, so you have put us to shame when we grumble :)

b) be assured that the hard work will be worth it, when you have sorted the gremlins you will have one of the classiest cars in the country regardless of what some may say.

Martin
Points a & b, I agree entirely with Martin, i would also like to say well done on passing your driving test and as others have said take care!

If you still have a problem with the water leaks get in touch with either Kyle or myself as we seem to have had plenty of practice with them! :oops:
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:07 pm

My Honda Legend arrived today. A what? I decided that the easiest way to sort my gearbox and other issues out would be to get a donor vehicle and it ended up costing me a bit more than 250gbp. If I am not mistaken, you could get a 827 coupe in the condition that mine is in.

Now to ask for some advice - should the car jerk forwards or backwards after changing the gear? No noise, but the engaging of the gearbox nearly stalls the engine and one really has to step on the brakes to hold it still. the rover never did something like that, but that could have been because the transmission was as dull as a baseball bat.

How easily does the 827 auto spin it's wheels? I have floored it in S and nothing there, actually, I could not keep up with a fully loaded ancient 2.3 Audi. I decided to take off in a bit of a haste in the legend (in D) and it spun wheels on tarmac. The kickdown knocked my head against the headrest... Either the Legend has been tweaked to be very responsive or the coupe was just beyond sluggish. I mean, when taking off the revs were stuck at 3500 for 5 minutes before I reached any kind of speed.

The problem could have been the torque converter. in first gear the car just did not want to move, but once the converter seemed to lock up, it got faster and faster.

I will get some comparison pics from the legend. It is hard to believe that the cars are basically the same. The legend looks cheap outside and inside. Inside is the worst, it does not look any better than an accord of the same era. No leather, no wood, no nothing. Also, does anyone know where the switch is to pop the trunk? it was dark and I could not find it.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:47 pm

A lot of things could be different between the two cars.

An auto should always pull its self along without your foot on the brakes.

Were you using the brakes when changing gear when it jerked?

An auto 827 should pull well at all speeds, especially once it's out of first gear.

Tyres are a major factor in the wheels spinning. Poor tyres and it will spin up with hardly any effort. With expensive tyres it becomes more difficult.

It sounds like it could be that the Legend box is just in better condition than your Rover one.

What age is the Legend?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Random Hero wrote:Either the Legend has been tweaked to be very responsive or the coupe was just beyond sluggish. I mean, when taking off the revs were stuck at 3500 for 5 minutes before I reached any kind of speed.
Well, seeing as how your Rover's gearbox has just eaten itself alive, I would suggest that it wasn't performing properly!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:46 pm

I actually don't know what year the Legend is from, but it has to be older than the coupe.

The coupe crawled forwards only very little. I could step off the pedal and in a while it would very gently start crawling. the legend is creaking the brakes, trying to pull away.

I have no idea what rubber could be on the legend, but the rover has some 2nd hand contigrips if I remember correctly. Also look wider. Didn't try spinning wheels on gravel, but I doubt it would have done anything.

Going to spend the next weeks dissecting the legend and building the rover. I am starting to get my doubts about buying the whole car - what the hell should I do with it? hehe.

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:41 pm

It has been a while and I am proud to announce that the boat is back on the road. Dissecting the Honda took a lot longer than I thought and ended with it being towed in a heavy downpour with no engine, gearbox, half the front suspension off and best of all - who needs windshield wipers or any lights when being towed in rain. Some guy actually tore out it's interior and is happy with it, god bless him, I personally would not restore a lump like that.

As I said, the boat is back on the road. Amazingly it started with the first turn of the starter motor after standing still for almost half a year. The "new" gearbox is pulling a lot stronger, albeit a lot rougher too. It seems to have some problem with gear changes as the engine is being revved harder than I'd like. Other than that, I finally have a reverse gear and since 90% of the power isn't lost in the transmission, I actually surprised myself with some serious wheelspin. It only took 4 days morning to evening :D The problem was that the new box refused to fit and we ended up fiddling with THREE jacks. Next problem - the driveshaft of the Rover did not fit the Honda box as Rover had had the bright idea of making the bearings 2mm bigger. a 100 mile drive in my dad's Astra and many hours later we found out that the Honda driveshaft did not fit the Rover suspension because the ABS sensor gear's housing or whatever the iron lump is called had a slightly bigger shape and would effectively be stuck against the main part of the suspension. 3 hours of grinding ensued. After pouring in a Kia's worth of gearbox oil and other fluids, it finally worked again.

Long story short - very much effort put into it, still don't want to drive it as I fear to damage it :P
Last edited by Random Hero on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 pm

I was wondering just the other day what had become of this car..
A truly heroic effort to get the Coupe on the road again, so well done to you. Think you are overcoming more adversity than many of us have to suffer.
Hope you enjoy some miles of motoring for the rest of the summer :-)
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:53 am

Great effort! And as summer really only just started you will be able to enjoy it a lot! So do drive it, do enjoy it! :P
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 pm

took the boat out for a drive today in rain. It was not fun connecting the leads in a downpour but once I got rolling, it was pure luxury - when standing still it felt like sitting in a purring armchair, when I had to make sharp takeoffs, it surged forward like a racehorse bitten by an angry wasp, in short - driving perfection. Also a great way to pick up girls . "hey, it is raining cats and dogs, I don't mind driving you home"

The negative parts - the electric mirrors don't work and as I can't park for 2 pennies worth, the car always ends up in awkward positions. The even bigger problem is the battery drain that was 0.6-0.7 amps when we measured it. Unplugged all the fuses from under the hood. Is there a main fuse or connector for the dash fusebox or do I have to test them individually? If it is neither of the two, any ideas where the hungry gremlin might be sitting?

Also, should there be an alarm to warn me when I forget the headlights on? if so, it doesn't work. An alarm to warn me when I forget to turn on the headlights would be nice too :P or take off the handbrake... :D

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Good stuff. Many would have given up long ago.

There should be a buzzer that tells you the lights are still on.

The drain could be lots of things unfortunately. Time to get testing. :lol:
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Good work.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 pm

blew the expansion tank today. It had been hissing for all the time but I never gave it much thought. All the driving that I had done this year had been in heavy rain which works rather effectively as a coolant. Today I let my friend drive it and after one overtaking we smelled trouble - the expansion tank was taking a piss under the hood, when we popped it, the damn thing actually squirted all over the front light and bumper. We let it hiss and splurt for a while, added coolant and drove off losing a liter of coolant for 25km. Dropped a friend off and left a puddle, drove home, allowed it to squirt all over the parking lot leaving a lovely mess. Hope nobody comes and complains, coolant, even if winter-resistant should be one of the most harmless fluids a car can leak.

A serious question now - have I repaired ENOUGH that nothing more will blow up or will I continue living with a comfortable car that looks great, but breaks down every 5 miles and drinks gas like a thirsty camel by a water hole? I don't want to sound desperate, but I have covered 1000km at most in the Rover and it has cost me a lot more money and effort than I would have liked to invest.

What a mess. Drove around for the better part of morning to find something to replace it with. Most places were closed as 23-24 were national holidays of getting drunk, nobody came to work for a Friday. Will try fitting the Honda tank today.

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Try a Volvo one:

See Here and here for info
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.