827 Coupe in Estonia

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Random Hero
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Random Hero » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:15 pm

well, the 20mpg was with a grimy gearbox + 5 people and luggage on board doing 110-130km/h. Still a bit much for a cruise. Some cars manage with half of that.

Well, this car was never built to be economical :D

Random Hero
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Random Hero » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:02 pm

exactly a month from the last post and the reason I am post is:

I finally passed the driving exam and now after being a rover owner for almost half a year, I can finally actually drive it now :D

Changed the broken front indicators for brand new ones, the difference is remarkable, will post before and after pictures.
will install the radio that has been sitting under my bed
will finally change the transmission oil.

Also, my PC broke today, spent a fair hour formatting and installing new windows. it's been a busy day...

About the driving exam, I failed the first time since I couldn't parallel-park. So, I took my friends huge ancient Audi 100 avant (that is actually a bit shorter than the 800) and decided: if I can park that, I will park the Golfs at the exam. and so I did.

Rusko
Regular Visitor

Post by Rusko » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Congratulations!!!
Russell Chilton

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Well done, just make sure you're careful for a while.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Yup, well done, and, as Chris said, take it easy
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:57 pm

had my first real drive in it, 80-somewhat km. Really comfortable for cruising. being a complete noob I caused some not-so-pretty situations but nothing bad happened. ran a few red lights with the idea "I can still make it" and did some other stupidities.

The reverse still makes me worry. It does not engage and horrible grating noise comes from the gearbox. Hopefully the transmission fluid change will fix it... the problem is, it is my birthday and after throwing a party even with the smallest budget available, I am still flat broke.

Also, the electrics will kill me one day if I don't fix them. It was hot as hell and I decided to poke around in the wiring while driving. Thank god for gravel strips. Neither does the radio work, the rather obvious reasons being either the garbled fusebox and the somewhat dodgy wiring.

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:25 pm

drained the gearbox yesterday, after having to push the car twice. Cleaned the solenoids today, they were covered with metal dust, as was the drain plug. The oil itself...well, calling it horrible gunk would be a flattery. At least it didn't smell burnt. So instead of filling up with shiny new expensive gearbox oil, I got myself 4 liters of cheap dexron III to flush the horrors out. I am pretty sure that the box is better off with dexron than whatever was in there.

when they day ended, we had spent two full days in the garage, tearing half the car apart. And guess what, we still had to push it out of the garage, since the reverse would not engage. on the bright side, the acceleration improved tremendously and we experience a new phenomenon - the kickdown actually worked for the very first time.

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Haven't updated for more than two months. The reason - not much has happened. The gearbox has been written off and I have spent some time on finding a new one. After tracking a potential donor down, I found no means to transport it home. So, the wait continues.

I sorted out the electric gremlins in the fusebox, some of the contacts looked like they had never been soldered. Still, there is something wrong, the battery drains in a few days, I have tried 2 different batteries and the result has been same. Is there a known "power exhaust" that could be messing with me, or do I have to check every wire and cable in the car?

Also, I have water in the boot and spare wheel compartment. I know where it is dripping AT - the left rear wheel bulge is wet, but that is highly illogical since the boot lid starts 20cm rearwards. All the windows also look solid. We were joking that the only way to find out is to trap some unlucky fellow inside with a flashlight and hose the car. Sadly, it might be the only option.

A picture taken a while ago:
Chocolate side of the car. The other has the bust side window and one of the plastic strips on the door fell off.

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:19 pm

It will more than likely be the rear light cluster letting the water in.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:46 pm

as I said, the left rear wheel bulge is wet, to be more exact, almost the top of it. Unless the water can dribble in from the rear light cluster, seep through the boot and crawl UP the wheel bulge, it is not the reason :P

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Are you saying that only the carpet at the top of the wheel arch is wet, or all of the carpet leading up to and over the wheel arch? There can be a "wick" effect where water can soak uphill so it could creep back from the light cluster.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Coupes tend to leak through a bad seam in the boot channel. Someone with a coupe may be able to show where this seam is.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:20 pm

the top is wet and it has obvious signs of water dripping onto it.

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:21 am

Your car looks really good. 8)
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Freewheel
Regular Visitor

Post by Freewheel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:20 pm

An excellent tale of the triumph of hope over experience...

While I get to the North of Holland - and Finland ... not Estonia... otherwise would gladly courier some spares...
Paul H.
- '49 'Speed' 75