K Reg 827 SLi manual Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Gludenscrude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks, :)

As I said I will have to have another go at getting the colour right, luckily I now have a spare stereo ex-ebay to do the same thing to, but I will have to rematch the wood colour, and now it is in situ I need lots more gloss laquer to get the depth of shine that the wood has, but hopefully the next attempt will be even better.

I wanted to keep to nice and simple, I often feel that more modern stereos dont look quite right in an older car because of the contrast between the wood and black plastic and glass.

I thought that this would work when closed, as I have music when I want but dont have a black and shiny box in amongst the wood the rest of the time.
Martin

Rover 827SLi Manual Fastback "K"
Rover 827 Sterling Automatic Fastback "M"
Rover 827 Vitesse Automatic "H"
Toyota Celica Cabriolet "J"

malcolm_durant
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by malcolm_durant » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:26 pm

Martin - I'm curious how you painted the stereo's cover.

I know how railway modellers convincingly replicate varnished teak on models (I'm thinking of people making replicas of a particular company's coaches) and wanted to know if your approach is similar.

They normally starts with a yellow-ish base coat and then progressively streak appropriate darker browns over that before varnishing.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Range Rover 4.6 HSE

Rover Vitesse Fastback - RIP
Rover Vitesse Sport - RIP
Rover 827 Vitesse - RIP
Rover 216 Vitesse - RIP

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi Malcolm,

I started off by trying to be all clever and as I used to be into Games Workshop model painting, I got out my paints and tried to replicate the woodgrain and it looked awful, the best I have ever seen is someone who painted the basecoat in a lightish colour and them blew smoke from a gas torch over it but that wouldn't be too clever with a stereo :) .

Having given up the idea of a true representation of the woodgrain, what I did was go along to my friendly paint factor with a bit of the woodtrim and got a couple of spray cans of browns that were tonally right for the wood, one light, one dark and then just roughly blew it overadding light or dark till it was about right.

Quick T cut, apply the Rover sticker that I had made, then a blast of laquer (I never can spell that :!: ) job done.
Martin

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:13 pm

I have probably oversimplified the process a bit :) as there were several rubs back with rubbing compound to flatten out etc but the basic idea is to get a mottled effect by spraying several different shades of brown

It doesnt actually look like wood when you look at it, I am not that clever :) but the aim is that it shouldn't leap out at you next to the wood :)

Hope this is of some help, it wasn't the cheapest of fixes, custom made sticker & several spray cans (though I have loads left to do other things) but as it is in such a visible spot I thought it was worth spending a bit more cash to have it how I wanted :) :)

What is the overall verdict, waste of time or a neat idea :?:
Martin

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Today I cleaned up the rust in the rear wheel arches and gave them a blow over, as previously mentioned this is just to make the car presentable, until I can get the wheel arches off the donor.

I still have a list as long as your arm of jobs to do, but I feel that there is definitely a difference beginning to show, K is begininng to look cared for again and is just getting better and better each week, meanwhile I am learning lots of new things, and buying lots of interesting new toys and tools. :)
Martin

marcushull
Regular Visitor

Post by marcushull » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 am

that looks really good well done .

I always wondered why they did the blank bit , as though they where gonna put a coin draw or some thing there

I bought a spare and cut out the shape of my Sony MP3 player and made a matal holder behind , looked good but never got round to fitting it

took some doing drilling and cutting the venneer and alloy behind