Simon's Vitesse Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Simon's Vitesse Coupe

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:02 am

Nice work on repainting the sills etc Simon! Any tips you'd care to share on doing it? Been too cold to do mine as yet but hoping to do it any day now..
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:45 am

Nice painting, Simon.

As regards removing the cassette to change the door handle, this is the best way to do it. Last year, I swapped a door cassette for one of Lord Sterling's cars and can do it in around 45 minutes now. I think the first one took about three hours but that was a very very long time ago.

Apart from one handle which had been forced following an attempting break in, I have never seen a non working handle on a Coupe. They are very robust and make from thicker plastics.
No longer an 800 owner!

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks Brad and Dave.

The thing that worried me most was fact that the cassette once lifted slightly to access the handle also can act as a bit of a guillotine, they are also very heavy. So I agree about taking them out, it also allows for the inside of the door to be cleaned, waxoyled etc. Yes the handle was not broken, it was only the lacquer that had peeled so they do appear stronger.

No real tips on painting Dave. I applied primer, stone chip, hammerite and then satin black. Just take time to mask, the only thing is it might have been easier with the door off, but I don't know if this is more hassle in the long run.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:59 pm

I agree. Leaving the door on is a great idea when painting as they are so ruddy heavy to manhandle!
No longer an 800 owner!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:I agree. Leaving the door on is a great idea when painting as they are so ruddy heavy to manhandle!
Thanks Brad. After renewing a door on a Honda Accord coupe some years back i would definitely agree with this theory! Needed help to hold it while i lined it up and got the first couple of blots in. Very similar size/shape to the 800 coupe doors so i would guess a similar weight.

Thanks Simon - that was more or less the plan i had in mind. I don't have any White Gold of any description so will use smooth gold Hammerite for now (it's not a bad approximation anyway) and i have some Duco Metal Paint (Aldi version of Hammerite) gloss black for the undercoats and Hammerite Smooth Satin Black spray for the top coats so hopefully should come out quite well. Also got some filler work to do to smooth the seam and because i've used it in the wet and salty roads since it was done and before painting, some rust killing work to do first! Only "flash rust" thankfully so nothing serious.
Waiting for a properly warm, wind free day to do it, hopefully get one soon!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun May 24, 2015 3:49 pm

In another post I said I would post some pictures of my spares for the coupe, so here they are and at the end of the message the spare for Michelle's 75.....

Here are the 75 spares...

Simon

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun May 24, 2015 3:53 pm

Recently I have changed the cambelt and serviced the car with an engine flush ...

Simon

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun May 24, 2015 3:59 pm

I still have the nearside to do but I have replaced the offside rear disc and pads. Hopefully get the other side done on Monday...

Simon

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sun May 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Your spares look better organised than mine, usually takes me a couple of days to locate something, plus a lot of swearing.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:23 pm

mrpcpc wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:
Very Tall Brad wrote:I agree. Leaving the door on is a great idea when painting as they are so ruddy heavy to manhandle!
Needed help to hold it while i lined it up and got the first couple of blots in.
Hey Dave, you really should take some tablets for the shaking :wink:

Besides that, its probably better to spray rather than to blot. I assume you were using a brush rather than a pototo ? :wink:

It's the tablets that cause the shaking Paul! It's a trade-off as without them standing or walking is too painful to contemplate.

Still waiting for a dry, wind-free, warmish day to paint the sill - at this rate it will rot away before i can get it protected! :(

Simon - i think you'll need a much bigger box of spares for the 75 than you have! Thermostats, expansion tank caps, camshaft position sensors to name but a few common problems and a few airbog system components and suspension springs too!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon May 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Simon Hubbard wrote:I still have the nearside to do but I have replaced the offside rear disc and pads. Hopefully get the other side done on Monday...

Silly question from the deskmechanic. Are the rear discs as easy to swap as the front? What about the handbrake adjustment...
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon May 25, 2015 7:02 pm

I've not had any problems Henrik, you just need to wind the piston back in the calipers.
Simon

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon May 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Simon Hubbard wrote:I've not had any problems Henrik, you just need to wind the piston back in the calipers.
Excellent, thanks!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon May 25, 2015 9:20 pm

That is what I used, works great.
Simon

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue May 26, 2015 5:23 am

Manalishi wrote:
Simon Hubbard wrote:I've not had any problems Henrik, you just need to wind the piston back in the calipers.
Excellent, thanks!
Remember to leave the handbrake OFF initially while you pump the brake pedal repeatedly until the rear caliper auto adjusters have set themselves.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT