Wolfie's Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Wolfie's Fastback

Post by schuwolf » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Well, I've had the 820Si Fastback for just over a year now. The original post and oics are here: http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

It's done about 4600 miles since it came into my ownership, and now stands at about 39700 miles. My impressions of the 800 are that I really like the beast. Perhaps not quite as refined as the Jags I've had, but still a very nice, relaxed and comfortable drive. I'm quite happy, to say the least, with an auto, can't really stand the fluffing about with changing gear in London traffic. People seem to relax into the seats when I carry passengers, the same as with the Jags.

Must say, If I hadn't have bought it I would have regretted it and I would not have had the pleasure of being a member of this forum, with it's splendid bunch of helpful and jolly fine geezers.

Done to date: New battery (prob not neccessary)
New alty
New cam belt and auxillary belt
2 new front tyres
3 new wipers blades
2 new rear indicators bulbs

To do: Repair rear exhaust box and decide on poss new cat and cat back in SS
Respray back bumper (2 tiny spots on it, which I thought would be a touch up, have turned into peeling lacquer. Perhaps a bad repair in the past).
Renew chrome strips in side rubbing strips
Respray back 1/4 panels in satin black
Resolder fuse board
Service
New rear pads (at least 2000 left)
Strip over rear screen needs attention. Cut off ragged edge, seal with black mastic and paint satin black.
Touch up a few minor scratches, clay, polish & wax ready for Bromley Pageant of Motoring, Oh and and valet seats.

All in all, a nice year of motoring and I cannot see meself getting rid of the green meaney in the foreseeable future. It is a shame I don't have the storage room, 'cos I love a couple more, especially a Mk1 Sterlling.

Thanks to all who helped in the past, thanks to the forum for putting up with me, and long live Rover 800 Info :lol:

btw, Phil, ring me mate about BPM 8)
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Wolfie's Fastback

Post by CHR15E » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

schuwolf wrote:Must say, If I hadn't have bought it I would have regretted it and I would not have had the pleasure of being a member of this forum, with it's splendid bunch of helpful and jolly fine geezers.
You say all the right things. :lol:

Definitely go for a stainless system if you're planning to keep the car a while.

Makes a huge amount of sense long term. You can choose one to suit you as well if you're not after noise.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Considering a Stainless for mine too.

Not a bad year. Call ya the morrow sire
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Well, I got fed up with the rattling cat, so I bit the bullet and took it in for a new cat and cat back in stainless:

Sorry about the pics, didn't have a camera when it was up on the ramps

Seems to be a little smoother, and bit more respnsive, but that is probably the new cat.

Lifetime guarantee on the SS exhaust, cost £480.00 all in, bit more than I was expecting, but maybe worthwhile.
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Cracking job Brian, you will not regret buying that, It's a big outlay to begin with but you'll find you get better MPG so it will pay for itself.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Really nice Branust gt one for mine. Was that from RSR off Roman Way??

Oh, and beers soon :) PROMISE!!!
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:18 pm

@ RIchard: hope so lol, it is a nice job

@ Phil: yep, RSR in Factory Lane. Put it on the ramps to show me what was done. He seemed very proud of his work. Beer, defo, am bloody thirsty :lol:
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:02 pm

They are dear unfortunately.

Mine was £415 ish for cat back. That was just supllied though. Fitted it myself. Been on several cars now since purchase.
Chris

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 pm

I had a cat back system on the Mk2 I had and that was £250 and completely custom built including the guy making up the silencer boxes from scratch. It's a 2.5" system with a 4" tail pipe. I removed it before the car was towed away and I'm considering fitting it to the Tickford. I know the Tickford is a larger bore but these silencers are more free flowing (you can tell by the noise !).
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:22 pm

What grade of stainless is it made from?

The only worry will be matching it to the cat on the Tickford. Unlikely it'll fit straight off IMO. You may need to have the mid section altered.
Chris

dead827
Regular Visitor

Post by dead827 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 pm

I have a ss system on my latest sterling, it makes a real boy racer noise, Ill load some pic's later.
300,000 mile white gold sterling on lpg Gone RIP
150,000 mile red sterling on lpg Still around
100,000 mile BRG rover sterling not on lpg Passed on

shiny blue jag on lpg
Another blue jag 2.5 auto

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Been a bit of an 'OUCH' week for me.

Main fuse board re-soldered, so now the windows and dash lights work when I want them to.
Had an Auto Electrician test my fob and he said it is working normally, so perhaps the eating of batteries MAY have had something to do with the fuseboard. We shall see.
ABS light started to stay on intermittently, then all the time. I brushed and sprayed the wheel sensors and rings to no avail, so onto a diagnostic test at the Auto Elec's. Fault was duff front off side sensor.
Along to SRS, at Factory Lane for MOT and replacement sensor and full service.
That done they hit me with the bad news. New rear discs, calipers and pads needed. *Groan*
I picked it up this morning, could have got it last night but I was already well into a LARGE brandy & coke!

Costs: to Auto Electric: £144.00
to Garage: £733.13

I guess I could have done most of it myself, but lack of facilities nowadays is a real problem. My total lack of soldering skills renders the fuseboard an highly unlikely job for me.

Was it worth it? Well, to me yes. She has only done 43K, and is in good shape. In fact the garage is always impressed and complimentary about her. And, I like her. Buying anything else could land me with someone else's grief.

I now need to re-furbish the wheels (air leaking a tad on 3).
Couple of minor body bits to attend to, then I'll attack her with a buffer and compound all over, before polish and wax. Sorry, should have said, I'll detail her.

Bromley is approaching, so I need her to shine for that :lol:
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Can point you in a good direction for the wheel refurb, if you want.

What your spending, just look at it as the cost of motoring. You are always going to spend that sort of money, in whatever form. Not a huge outlay in the long run.
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks Mark, that could be useful. I'll be investigating one I know of, but a good recomend would be good
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Their website is http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com, the company is called BJV engineering. Comes as cheap as 130quid for all four wheels if off car and without tyres. Worth mentioning to them to seal the wheels well as you already have a leaky one. If they do not seal them well you will end up having beadseal afterwards, which is OK until you come to have new tyres fitted.
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k